Good experience Newhaven Dieppe

manxli

Hi

Returned from hols in GB to Switzerland a few days ago, but we wanted to avoid Dover/Calais and found Hull-Rotterdam etc expensive. Thus tried Newhaven Dieppe for the first time. My wife is disabled and we have a blue badge, which got us 20% discount and a FREE cabin!!!! Wow! Boat was OK and we planned to kip on one of the two 'Aires' on Dieppe Harbour. They looked good, but were absolutely FULL when we arrived at 22:30, so we parked up on the beach promenade alongside Aire 2 and slept a few hours. No one bothered us at all., even though a town fair was in full swing until after midnight.

Seems like a good deal for anyone who has a blue badge like us. I gather DFDS took this route over recently, as the ferries are still marked as 'Transmanche'. We left the parking at Dieppe at around 6:00 and all roads were deserted, which was a pleasure to drive into Picardie and onwards over Alsace towards Basel. The 'peage' charges were also relatively OK.

Anyone else used this route?

Alan

We have used Newhaven/Dieppe for the last couple of years, can save 400 miles on a round trip as we only live 20 miles from Newhaven. You also get the 20% if you are over 60. The route is threatened with closure has been for several years I think the Dieppe Municipally have been subsidising it.

We've used this route for years Alan and always found it a pleasant enough experience and just a long enough crossing (4 hours) for this poor sailor! We have often used the aires coming or going but in May found Aire 1 on the ferry side closed for some reason. Is this open now please? We may be going that way again in September. Hazel.

I used this route for the first time for a few years this year. I found the telephone receptionist delightful and extremely helpful. The crossing that I wanted to book changed its price upwards while I was on the phone but she booked me for the next day at a very good price, much lower than I worked it out to so perhaps I had a free cabin too. I ate in the restaurant and had a steak which seemed good value and tasted good too. As far as I understand it the carrier is still Transmanche and I was hoping to make use of this route more so I am sad to hear that there are rumours of closure.

Hi Hazel (all)

Both sites were very much open last week but sadly VERY FULL! We weren't bothered by anyone by parking in the coach spaces at the side of Aire 2 though.

I also found the telephone staff very polite. I believe the line is being subsidized heavily by the Dieppe area Department. Would be a pity if it stopped.

Alan

Archived