MONACO

rolling r

In short...there isn't one!

The nearest ACSI site to Monaco is at Sospel which is inland and 17ml north. The next closest is Campsite Le Colombier at Cagnes-sur-Mer at 23 miles, but that's nearer to the coast. If you want ON the coast, then Motel Camping Hippodrome at Villeneuve-Loubet-Plage a bit further along from Cagnes-sur-Mer but with just 0.25km to the beach....a mere cock stride!

Enjoy Monaco.....walk the harbour and see how the other half live where wealth is measured by the size of the yachts some of which are more like ships!

I visited Monaco by motorcycle (very worthwhile) and I wasn't aware of a train station - I suppose it's buried underground in the cliffs! Parking any sort of vehicle is a nightmare and we parked in our hotel garage as the only real option.

Campsites along that coast are expensive and may not meet your train connection needs anyway. I suggest you look at the train network to find somewhere inland from which you can get to Monaco by bus and/or train.

There is a collection of one of the late prince's cars in one museum which is well worth a look but the Stamp Collection Museum was underwhelming.

rolling r - 2015-08-22 6:28 PM

Hi.

We are going to the south of France and would like

to go to Monaco by train. So we are looking for a site

near a train station. ACSI or Camping Cheque it need

not be on the coast.

Thank you All :-) https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I planned just this in May this year and we went to Monaco just a few days after the Grand Prix. You can get a direct train from Cagnes Sur Mer to Monaco for about €10. The Station in Monaco is just a short walk ~ 3-400 metres down to the harbour area.

We Stayed in ACSI Camping Val Fleuri in Cagnes-sur-Mer for a few days at €16 per night, so not expensive & visited both Monaco & Nice. The site is about 1.5 Km up in the hills from the station in Cagnes-sur-Mer, so it's either Shanks Pony for 25 mins or a taxi from the site to the Station.

We also went in on my motorbike around the coast through Villefranche-sur-Mer stunning coastline which you can see by both train & bike. (See photo)

We were really surprised at how cheap Monaco could be. The Plat du Jour at the Monaco Yacht Club was €14 for 2 courses and a beer was only €4. We ate on the front at La Rascasse for about €20 including a beer & coke for the two of us! Of course if you want to make it expensive .......... you certainly can!

DSC03058b.jpg.9d1b932d88c3e4fce1d4db586860c47d.jpg

We have also stayed at the site mentioned in Cagnes and used buses to Nice then onto Monaco and Menton.

Last year we stayed at a site on the outskirts of Antibes using the ACSI card and cycled into the centre for the train to Monaco. We also enjoyed exploring Antibes and used buses to visit Cannes and Cap D'Antibes then walked along the coast to St. Juan de Pins before catching a bus back to Antibes.

We found both sites in the ACSI Camping Card book.

(Whilst waiting on Monaco railway station for the train back to Antibes I chatted with an English couple and it turned out that the man had been my woodwork teacher at Stanley, County Durham in 1961.)

I was there the day after the Grand Prix ......on a cruise. Monaco was one of the most overhyped and underwhelming places I have ever visited. As for the comment about it being cheap I must have gone to the wrong places. 7euros for a coffee and 5 euros for a takeaway bottle of water plus an indifferent lunch (at an horrendous price) are my abiding memories. On the upside the beach was quite nice but it involved a fume filled walk through the Grand Prix tunnel, the footballers walk of fame with two Brits on it - Ryan Giggs and George Best - and the Japanese Garden were OK but not worth the hassle of trying to get to the place by train/motorhome.

Mike88 - 2015-08-23 11:42 AM

I was there the day after the Grand Prix ......on a cruise. Monaco was one of the most overhyped and underwhelming places I have ever visited. As for the comment about it being cheap I must have gone to the wrong places.

Yes you certainly did i'm afraid!

As LD said you can pay silly money, but if you look around a bit you can also pay very reasonable prices, particularly being the location Monaco etc is and the type of people which frequent it! I was there in 1992 when we had a very good exchange rate and still using Francs back then.

I liked Monaco as i enjoy walking around any harbour looking at boats. Cannes is also nice but i wasn't impressed at all by St Tropez which i felt was scruffy/rough....the absolute opposite of Monaco and Cannes.

I was staying at Cavalaire-sur-Mer, a wonderfully peaceful place with great beaches (as long as you aren't a puritanical Brit averse to getting your kit off!). Also a superb little Coffee bar which opened at 7am serving freshly baked Croissant......brilliant!

Bulletguy - 2015-08-23 4:37 PM

Mike88 - 2015-08-23 11:42 AM

I was there the day after the Grand Prix ......on a cruise. Monaco was one of the most overhyped and underwhelming places I have ever visited. As for the comment about it being cheap I must have gone to the wrong places.

Yes you certainly did i'm afraid!

As LD said you can pay silly money, but if you look around a bit you can also pay very reasonable prices, particularly being the location Monaco etc is and the type of people which frequent it! I was there in 1992 when we had a very good exchange rate and still using Francs back then.

I liked Monaco as i enjoy walking around any harbour looking at boats. Cannes is also nice but i wasn't impressed at all by St Tropez which i felt was scruffy/rough....the absolute opposite of Monaco and Cannes.

I was staying at Cavalaire-sur-Mer, a wonderfully peaceful place with great beaches (as long as you aren't a puritanical Brit averse to getting your kit off!). Also a superb little Coffee bar which opened at 7am serving freshly baked Croissant......brilliant!

Shows we are all different. While I like Cavalaire Sur Mer (and Cavalaire where you used to be able to wildcamp just off the beach or even use the Aire adjacent to the boatyard) I also like St Tropez (especially the ferry across the Bay from Port Grimaud) but didn't eat there. Possibly the inflated prices in Monaco I experienced were upped for the Grand Prix because as I said I arrived on the Monday after the Sunday on which the races were held.

There is a camp site at eze not sure if they do caravans and motorhome as well but may be worth checking. Agree re Monaco we go to the area regularly and Monaco isn't the best in the area. Ville fraunch eze Beaulieu are better imo

Whatever you do do not suddenly decide to drive in.

We stopped in Cagnes with every intention of catching the train in. We had already moved sites from one very nice one, in the ACSI book, to another one, recommended as being super by some Dutch motorhomers we met- it was the one up in the hills and was nowhere near as good as the ACSI one.

I drove in, found parking impossible, gendarmerie moving us on, without a pause for breadth, then a trip through a tunnel hewn through the rock which just about allowed us an inch either side.We gave up after half an hour and headed on down to San Remo. We stopped on the border to post some cards and were attacked by a hedge as we drove off which pulled off our nearside rear lights and indicators.

An area to be avoided and not one we will revisit!!!

Have a better trip than us!

Bob

Mike88 - 2015-08-23

Shows we are all different. While I like Cavalaire Sur Mer (and Cavalaire where you used to be able to wildcamp just off the beach or even use the Aire adjacent to the boatyard) I also like St Tropez (especially the ferry across the Bay from Port Grimaud) but didn't eat there. Possibly the inflated prices in Monaco I experienced were upped for the Grand Prix because as I said I arrived on the Monday after the Sunday on which the races were held.

We certainly are all different - we stayed a few nights in June at Les Mures at Port-Grimaud, ACSI site right on the bay opposite St Tropez, and enjoyed it there. But when we got the bus into St Tropez we got the next bus back out - hideous place full of gin palaces registered in tax havens. And overpriced shops. And we didn't like most of the rest of the Côte d'Azur either - just too overcrowded.

As you say, we all like different things - and probably just as well.

kevina - 2015-08-23 8:07 PM

I'm not necessarily recommending it but there is the underground carpark in Monaco.

I parked in that one though i was in a car. Looks as though it's been modified since i was there (1992) as the floors were supported by huge round concrete pillars...one of which 'modified' the rear quarter panel on my car. *-)

Solwaybuggier - 2015-08-23 6:31 PM

Mike88 - 2015-08-23

We certainly are all different - we stayed a few nights in June at Les Mures at Port-Grimaud, ACSI site right on the bay opposite St Tropez, and enjoyed it there. But when we got the bus into St Tropez we got the next bus back out - hideous place full of gin palaces registered in tax havens. And overpriced shops. And we didn't like most of the rest of the Côte d'Azur either - just too overcrowded.

As you say, we all like different things - and probably just as well.

If you don't like gin palaces then surely Monaco is full of them? Port Grimaud is of course a false Italianate place - very nice - but St Tropez is authentic. You can also park in St Tropez easily at a cost although we eventually took the cheaper option arriving by ferry.

As for parking in Monaco I presume the pictures relate to the car park beneath the tunnel used for the Grand Prix. There is also a car park beneath the football stadium but I wouldn't advise anyone of a nervous disposition to use either.

Hi

Would very much recommend Campsite Antipolis in Antibes, just a short walk to the train station for Monaco. Each pitch has its own shower, washroom and washing up area at no extra charge. It's in the Camping Cheque book page 239. Has pool, bar and tennis court along with shop for fresh bread etc.

very nice place

Archived