Don't buy British made campers !!

Mark-kelly

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2015-08-23 9:47 AM

Sounds like very good advice to me. (lol)

Just for a bit of balance Lenny :D ............

. if the only choice available WERE Contintnental Motorhomes, I would consider giving it up altogether. Had 3 UK manufactured Coachbuilt Mototorhomes without a bad one, looked at hundreds of unsuitable poorly equipped Continental ones, and not bought any of them. SO, Totally Disagree with our 'tongue tied' OP. Ray

You should have looked at Rapido's :D

Although my previous van a UK IH PVC was well built, and well specified, just a shame about the Fiat bit going rusty underneath....and the cushion shuffling every night.

Sadly though M/homes are built on crap delivery vans, when will Toyota get in on the act I wonder.

I've had really bad experances with British built caravan's so won't touch anything British made.

Also don't like caravan layouts in British vans they have never evolved into Motorhomes IMO, not seen any with fixed table, I wouldn't buy a van without a fixed table, fixed bed & a garage.

lennyhb - 2015-08-23 12:30 PM

I've had really bad experances with British built caravan's so won't touch anything British made.

Also don't like caravan layouts in British vans they have never evolved into Motorhomes IMO, not seen any with fixed table, I wouldn't buy a van without a fixed table, fixed bed & a garage.

Just to prove that we are all differant, a fixed table is one of the FIRST things, that discounts a van from our choice. No oven, or oven at a stupid/dangerous height, And to us a large garage takes up too much internal living space, bikes can live outside, on a rack. Just as well we all get to choose EH!

Rayjsj - 2015-08-23 12:09 PM

. if the only choice available WERE Contintnental Motorhomes, I would consider giving it up altogether. Had 3 UK manufactured Coachbuilt Mototorhomes without a bad one, looked at hundreds of unsuitable poorly equipped Continental ones, and not bought any of them. SO, Totally Disagree with our 'tongue tied' OP. Ray

Absolutely agree with that Ray - we too have had lots of UK made vans from the '3 A's' - that's Autotrail, Autosleepers and Autocruise (pre Swift) and they have all been great vans with layouts ideal for our style - we wouldn't have bought them if not! Can't speak for Swift or Elddis but there are plenty of very happy owners out there as well as a few disgruntled but when you look at the volume sold compared to Euro vans that is hardly surprising. Fault rectification in vans often has more to do with dreadful dealers than anything else although I do agree that some that I have seen show appalling build quality - but then again so do some foreign made vans that we have looked at at shows!

Lenny goes on to say -

I've had really bad experiences with British built caravan's so won't touch anything British made.

Personally I would never buy a van with a fixed table taking up valuable floor space, a fixed bed that is too narrow for comfort and tapers one end, or a garage simply to fill it with clutter we didn't know we needed! The clutter expands to fill the available space! And as for half dinettes - what an aberation - unless you need the forwrd facing seats for travel passengers as they too are most uncomfortable for lounging.

Judging by the amount of UK made vans you see on UK roads we are far from alone in our thinking, although Johnny Foreinger seems to prefer the continental style layout - or maybe that's because so few UK made vans are exported thus depriving poor old JF of any alternative layouts!

Good job we are all different innit!!!

so I have a Bailey 750 with er a fixed bed.......a fixed table.......a garage

bertieburstner - 2015-08-23 1:19 PM

You need to change your name to bertiebailey then. ;-)

Rayjsj - 2015-08-23 12:38 PM

Just to prove that we are all differant, a fixed table is one of the FIRST things, that discounts a van from our choice. No oven, or oven at a stupid/dangerous height, And to us a large garage takes up too much internal living space, bikes can live outside, on a rack. Just as well we all get to choose EH!

Now way are several grands worth of bikes living outside.

bertieburstner - 2015-08-23 1:19 PM

Yer but it's British built no way, and having seen all the problems with Baily's including the spare water tank above the cab!

You changed from a Burstner to a Baily, I think you need help. :D

Edit:

Just looked at a video it hasn't got a fixed table and it was stored in the garage, not safe to travel with that type of table in position and if it's raining you get soaked getting the table, absolutely stupid design.

Doesn't rotate through 360 deg like mine either.

There is not a single continental PVC that I would even remotely consider buying. Cramped fixed table dinette that is uncomfortable to sit at, never mind stretch out in. No lounging settees. Who would sit in a panel van chair in their lounge at home? Virtually useless kitchen with no worktop to speak of and probably no oven. TV in a position where you can only see it sitting in the front seats. Odd bathrooms with the shower in the middle of the van with a silly arrangement of sticky tambour doors. Hardly any space to move around in. A bed that takes up almost half the available space and you only use it at night. Large storage area under the bed but what on earth do you need all that space for. If you need to lift the beds to get it all in what do you do with it all when you park up? Flimsy, lightweight construction in order to get some payload for the garage.

I have a British built van from Vantage and it beats any continental van for build quality, which is what counts for me.

If you have bought a crap UK van you have bought from the wrong company.

Hi all !!

I knew this would stir up a hornets nest but I've seen a lot people asking advise on which campers to buy and why, now I know those of you who own English made vans will be a bit upset with me but I'm just giving people an honest educated opinion.

I've worked on motor homes all my adult life and the majority needing repair are usually English made vans especially the Swift and Autotrails also know as Leaky Tiki's and Watertrail, the construction, materials and workmanship are of the poorest throughout the motorhoming industry FACT !.

Again I'm not stupi enough to say other van don't suffer problems because they do and that would be a ridiculous statement however in the last 5 years or so I've seen a massive problem with British vans suffering water ingress, the build quality and materials used are extremely poor.

My advise to anyone buying a camper is go German as like everything else the Germans do it's usually right maybe a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. Burstner, Cathago and Hobby are three of my favourite but most German vans are pretty good, again I'm not saying without fault but in general constructed a hell of a lot better than English vans.

Yes I am English so it's not a biased opinion I just look at things with a logical approach and I think most of us know the Germans have it right again.

Mark-kelly - 2015-08-23 3:59 PM

it's not a biased opinion I just look at things with a logical approach and I think most of us know the Germans have it right again.

Really? Just look at and compare the warranty, reliabilty and dealer and manufacturer attitudes for German cars and compare that to the Japanese, and even Korean, makers.

But don't take my word for it - have a look at every year in the Auto Express Driver Power survey for the real world experience of real world owners.

Just a shame that there are no suitable Japanese light commercials availbe to build on or convert because I would certainly buy one rather than yet another of the dubious quality Italian, French and German etc vans available.

I've worked on motor homes all my adult life and the majority needing repair are usually English made vans especially the Swift and Autotrails also know as Leaky Tiki's and Watertrail, the construction, materials and workmanship are of the poorest throughout the motorhoming industry FACT !.

Of course it could be that all the dodgy foreign vans are owned by foreigners in a foreign country and are being repaired over there - ?

;-)

Tracker - 2015-08-23 4:07 PM

Really? Just look at and compare the warranty, reliabilty and dealer and manufacturer attitudes for German cars and compare that to the Japanese, and even Korean, makers.

Please tell us about these Japanese & Korean Motorhomes, I'd like to have a look at them. :D

I've also worked in the industry and completely agree with what Mark says, the Germans buy components because they do the job the British buy components because they are cheap.

Hi all !!

I knew this would stir up a hornets nest but I've seen a lot people asking advise on which campers to buy and why, now I know those of you who own English made vans will be a bit upset with me but I'm just giving people an honest educated opinion.

Again I'm not stupi enough to say other van don't suffer problems because they do and that would be a ridiculous statement however in the last 5 years or so I've seen a massive problem with British vans suffering water ingress, the build quality and materials used are extremely poor.

My advise to anyone buying a camper is go German as like everything else the Germans do it's usually right maybe a little more expensive but you get what you pay for. Burstner, Cathago and Hobby are three of my favourite but most German vans are pretty good, again I'm not saying without fault but in general constructed a hell of a lot better than English vans.

Yes I am English so it's not a biased opinion I just look at things with a logical approach and I think most of us know the Germans have it right again.

Really, well if you know your vans so well you should know that British makes like Swift, Elldis, Bailey etc are using some of the most advanced constructions methods around. People like Hymer are still using construction that was old hat ten years ago. Most British vans give a ten year warranty against water ingress, if it was as bad as you say they would all be out of business by now. OK the people who have bought these overpriced, overrated German vans have to try and justify their purchase, I understand that and they do it the only way they can, trying to pretend the problems British vans had ten years ago are still around. German vans were very good, ten years ago, but unfortunately are still living on past reputation, some even believe it and still buy them. As for living with a cramped fixed table, well you can keep that, we like some comfort in our vans, the Germans seem incapable of building anything else. If you really work with motorhomes you should also know that the vast majority of vans sold and serviced in the UK are made here so it is pretty obvious the problems you would see will be mostly UK vans. After all you would could hardly expect to see many of the half a dozen a year that companies like Hymer sell in the UK a year.

Archived