Misfire and erratic idle

Chrisvesey

Hi,

My van which is a 2000 petrol boxer sometimes cuts out at idle and misfires at hard acceleration. I have replaced plugs, leads, coil pack, throttle body complete with tp sensor, idle stepmotor etc. New engine speed sensor and map sensor. The ecu has been away for testing and the ecu relay has been replaced. Once past the misfire stage the engine pulls well, the lack of idling is worse when the engine is slightly warm. The idle problem is erratic. The van has only done 21,000 miles and I don't know what else to try. Spec sheets show it to have an ignition amplifier but I am unable to locate this unless it hides behind the glove box. Peugeot and their garages are a dead loss, my local peugeot garage said when it was five years old peugeot deleted it from their database. All suggestions gratefully received,

Chris

This unfortunately is a classic problem, as garages just concentrate on what they see regularly, and most wouldn't have seen one like yours for ten years or so.

21,000 miles in fifteen years is a problem, sludge could have built up in the engine, fuel lines and tank. The issue sounds like a fuelling problem, but I assume this has been eliminated first before the electrics were changed.

Try a dose of fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

I had trouble with what seemed like fuel shortage on a non ecu diesel. Stripped the entire fuel sytem and by accident found the simple spade type connector on the engine stop solenoid was slack, At higher revs the contact was intermittent and poor the fuel supply was being rapidly cut off and on but it was an electrical problem causing fuel shortage so the initial diagnosis was correct

The same principal may apply perhaps to the connections on the injectors or pump. Dose them all with contact cleaner and repeatedly disconnect and reconnect to establish reliable electrical continuity.

The best of luck. Its autumn and the Gremlins are beginning to migrate.

Archived