NC500

Billggski

Guest Peter James
I've done nearly all of that, just missed about 40 miles around the Cape Wrath area - would have gone to Cape Wrath there if there was a road. If you are lucky enough to get clear weather the views are spectacular, but nothing much happening so they don't hold your attention for long. I thought the most spectacular view is from Dunnet Head. But for me, by far the most moving was Loch Ewe. The merchant seamen on the Russian Convoys had the worst job of the war - appalling cold and discomfort, and never away from danger of the most painful death - which many had. Yet they got no recognition and were not eligible for medals - Churchill ignored them in his VE day speech, because by that time Churchill wanted us to fight Stalin, who they had been supplying under Churchill's orders. Taking supplies which were desperately needed in Britain to a dictator worse than Hitler, but they had been brainwashed by wartime propaganda into believing they were doing the right thing. A truly awful waste :-(

No one ever seems to mention the fact too, that GB entered WW2 with Germany supposedly because of the invasion of Poland. Stalin had grabbed the eastern half of Poland simultaneously in a 1939 pact with Hitler and the allies allowed him to keep it after Potsdam. No wonder most polish refugees (inc my father) were not great fans of Churchill. Polish soldiers were also not allowed to take part in the victory marches at that time too, just to appease Stalin who called them 'polish dogs'.

But there you go, how is the saying? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" (for the time being)

yoko8pups - 2015-08-24 2:10 PM

It is strange that we were just talking about this this morning. Are most of the roads suitable for motorhomes? I there any information anywhere telling you good routes for motorhomes?[

/QUOTE]

I've never driven it in one bash but have been to all the places and used all the roads with a motorhome between 1970 and 1985 and if the roads were good enough then - but only just in places - then they should hopefully be at least no worse today!

Care would still be needed - and if you have a very big van even more care!

It is strange that we were just talking about this this morning. Are most of the roads suitable for motorhomes? I there any information anywhere telling you good routes for motorhomes?

It has been discussed on here a good few times.

The roads in the Highlands have been improved over the years such that there is very little left that would inhibit touring in even a "decent-sized" motorhome.

A little patience is required for the single-track sections, but it gives all the more time to take in the scenery.

The one bit of the route in question I would avoid is that North of Achnahaird to Lochinver via the coast. It can be "interesting" in a large car (narrow, blind bends), and has an 8m length limit on it.

It can be bypassed inland, but it is quite a long detour.

(Both the Achnahaird and Lochinver areas are worth the visit, even if you avoid the coast road between, and the campsite at Altandhu is a little gem).

The coast road North of Lochinver, whilst being similarly narrow, is nowhere near as daunting.

Guest Peter James

It is strange that we were just talking about this this morning. Are most of the roads suitable for motorhomes? I there any information anywhere telling you good routes for motorhomes?

Yes but much of it is single track with passing places, and you soon get fed up of that.

manxli - 2015-08-24 2:01 PM

No one ever seems to mention the fact too, that GB entered WW2 with Germany supposedly because of the invasion of Poland. Stalin had grabbed the eastern half of Poland simultaneously in a 1939 pact with Hitler and the allies allowed him to keep it after Potsdam. No wonder most polish refugees (inc my father) were not great fans of Churchill. Polish soldiers were also not allowed to take part in the victory marches at that time too, just to appease Stalin who called them 'polish dogs'.

But there you go, how is the saying? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" (for the time being)

even Darker and nastier is the fate of General Sikorski and his daughter, who was killed along with his daughter, during a (deliberately) botched take-off from Gibraltar. Read the book !

Cape Wrath, is/was an RAF bombing range, which is why the top l/H corner of our Island has no roads across it. There is however, during the holiday season at least, a small boat and an old 15 seater coach that will take you across Cape Wrath, to the Lighthouse. Which also has a pleasant café, run by the lighthouse keepers wife. Bacon sandwiches a specialty. Delicious. I find the single track roads very easy to manage, just be ready to pull over, and you'll be fine.

Guest Peter James
Billggski - 2015-08-24 11:47 AM

I planned to do this, just waiting for the weather to improve!

You could have a long wait. And you don't want to leave it much longer for touring because the nights are drawing in. Have you gone yet?

The soil is poor so there are few trees, which paradoxically often makes the views better because with less obstructions you can see further. Certainly better for driving a motorhome than the overhanging branches in Lake District, Devon & Cornwall etc

As Robin says, has been dicussed several times before.

In our XLWB x2/50 PVC it is no problem at all, and I would not expect many problems in larger vans apart from the section robin has pointed out. Single track roads with passing places are no big problem as long as you drive sensibly.

I see peter and the person writing the article missed out Cape Wrath itself, to get there you book a place on boat and mini bus.

This subject brings back many memories. I remember reading in MMM many years ago that,"Scotland is excellent motorhome country". At least most of the single track roads have passing places, which is not always the case elsewhere in the UK.

We recently revisited Glen Orchy, which used to be featured in promotional adverts for the Highlands. It is narrow with few parking places. Please do not park in passing places.

We have not been north of the Great Glen for many years, but interested readers may find the following website interesting:-http://www.itraveluk.co.uk/photos There is a section devoted to the single track B869 north of Lochinver.

Alan

Archived