Driving the Routes des Grands Alps and Route Napoleon?

Curtisden

Planning to drive this route, from Lake Geneva down the Italian French Boarder to Nice. Then back via the Route la Napoleon to Grenoble. Finishing off with a return to the Vercors high plateau and the June 1944 French Resistance battlefield.

Has anyone driven any of these routes and advice on Wild Camping and stops would be helpful.

We have already done a little of the lower section and found some parts include rather high little protected roads and wonderful gorges, just stunning. But not recommended to a large van as the roads are also in places very narrow, with overhangs and tunnels of 3m.

If you have not visited the Vercors can I recommend it.Its SE of lyons and SW of Genoble. Stunning empty mountain pasture scenery and not a Brit in sight.

Thanks

We have done it many times heading south , but not north bound at least heading south you have the mountain on your left and only a severe drop on your right , driving a right hand drive motorhome I did not want to drive blind on some of the 90* bends . That aside the scenery is fantastic.

kelly58 - 2015-08-24 12:50 PM

We have done it many times heading south , but not north bound at least heading south you have the mountain on your left and only a severe drop on your right , driving a right hand drive motorhome I did not want to drive blind on some of the 90* bends . That aside the scenery is fantastic.

Reckon all those 'U' bends caused some brain fade here Kelly. It does not matter which way you go you will sometimes have a drop on your left.

Archived