Do you carry a spare wheel?

Malo37

I would no more consider buying a van, or a car come to that without some kind of spare wheel, than I would consider one without airbags or Seat belts. We all hope that none of them ever needs to be used, but you are thankful they are there when the worst happens .Anything less is taking an unnecessary risk.

We carry two spares for the 6-wheel trailer and have two spares for both the Land Rover Discovery and the Mercedes.

Never needed them yet, but like the spares box we carry, it's cheap insurance.

If you think that Fiat wheels are heavy, try a Mercedes 614 wheel with a 225/75R16C tyre fitted! The Discovery wheels are no lightweight either, 255/65R16.

We also carry two decent hydraulic jacks and a new set of tools, wheelbrace etc.

Lastly we have two lumps of Oak timber which we can put under the jack if we are soct ground.

Peter

goldi - 2015-10-18 5:00 PMAfternoon folks, And what happens if yhou do,nt have a spare and you ca,nt speak the lingo ? Nobody has mentioned the fact that you can actually use the spare by rotating the wheels to gain even wear thus getting more usage. norm

Getting more mileage by the rotation method for motorhome tyres I should think is hardly a consideration given that the majority will need changing because of age degradation rather than actually being worn out.

Due to the weight of our vehicles if a puncture occurs on the move by the time the vehicle has stopped the its almost certain the sidewall will have been trapped between rim and road. The worse case damage is as already been shown but internal invisible damage is even more likely.

The provision of a bottle of goo and the means to reinflate the tyre is put it mildly undesirable. It might be fine on a normal car but not on LGVs.

By having a spare I can if necessary limp on the deflated wheel to a safe location to make the change.

No spare - no sale perhaps the message will get through.

Agree with George. One thing no-one seems to have mentioned yet is that "camping" tyres are not always readily available, as they seem to be batch produced. So, if you have no spare, and your tyre gets shredded, you may have a very long wait indeed.

A further point is that should you puncture in France and the tyre cannot be repaired, a French fitter will only supply/fit an exact match for the tyre fitted on the opposite wheel of the same axle. So, if your van is Continental Vanco Camping shod, and the tyre fitter can only get a Michelin equivalent, he will insist that you must have two Michelins so that both wheels on the same axle carry the same tyre. I know UK practice would accept the different makes on the same axle so long as the tyres were of the same type, size, and load and speed rating, but French practice apparently will not.

So, two more good reasons to carry at least a spare tyre (or in Ray's case one good reason to carry a spare, and one more good reason to avoid France! :-D).

It might well be that matched tyres on the same axle are essential for cars where the tyre maker and vehicle manufacturer have collaborated over design and development to optimise performance.

I very much doubt that that ever occurs where commercial vehicles are intended for a worldwide market and widely varying operational conditions particularly with regard to tyre loading.

I would love to see the statistics to back up the seemingly all embracing rule of exact matches on an axle.

To my mind its totally over the top.

I shall carry a spare tyre in my next van. I’ve never suffered a puncture but would feel sure to do so if I travelled ‘naked’. A tyre weighs less and you can put things inside it. It would save time getting a spare if one was needed and I believe they insist on supplying/fitting matching tyres in some countries, so you could get fleeced for two. If you use a ‘Goo kit’, I believe the tyre will need replacing anyway, so only use one as a last resort.

bigparkie - 2015-10-17 9:52 PM

My chausson has no spare. I would not be able to change it anyway so I just carry a tyre and will leave it to breakdown services if worst happens

Snap....but I only carry the tyre when going on the Continent. FYI the RAC offer a repair service to non members for a call out fee of £30. For members it is free. I presume the cost of any replacement tyre, if required, is not included.

peedee

Archived