High Sided Vehicle

enodreven

Hi, For the purpose of the Road travel warnings in windy conditions and just for general knowledge are motorhomes classed as High Sided Vehicles, in particular those with over cab beds and just how stable are they. Is there a way of working out just how stable they are ? without waiting for it to be blown over ?lol I would be interested in any coments and expreiances ? Brian

I just did a Google search and found a reference on a BBC Travel News page to a High Sided Vehicle being one which is "sensitive to bridge heights and lateral winds". As MHs fit into the first category then I should say that, yes, they are high sided vehicles. Dunno how one would work out stability but I think I'd take note of warnings on the radio and avoid problem areas. Graham

I would say that coachbuilt and "A" class motorhomes definitely fall into the high sided vehicle category but not panel van conversions or micro motorhomes. As for stability, well some are more stable than others straight from the factory but then people alter the stability by loading things into and onto it. For maximum stability all loads should be between the axles and as low as possible. This is obviously not always possible but sticking a roof box on top won't help stability, nether will filling the roof box with heavy items. The only reliable method I know of to ascertain any given vehicle's stability in windy conditions is to try it out. D.

On the same subject any advice on driving methods that could/should be adopted if you are caughtout in highwind conditions, the reason i ask is that when traveling abroad you don't have the advantage of being able to understand the weather forcasts ? or I certainly don't ? so any advice would be helpful ? or road signs that may be displayed ?? Oh and by the way welcome to the site GJH

[QUOTE]enodreven - 2006-11-01 9:21 AM On the same subject any advice on driving methods that could/should be adopted if you are caughtout in highwind conditions, the reason i ask is that when traveling abroad you don't have the advantage of being able to understand the weather forcasts ? or I certainly don't ? so any advice would be helpful ? or road signs that may be displayed ?? Oh and by the way welcome to the site GJH [/QUOTE] In many places abroad they fly a "Windsock" in the areas prone to high winds. You usually see them on approaches to viaducts and high bridges. There is also the road warning sign of a windsock. Don

Hi, Don I have seen the wind socks, what do you normally do if they are showing gusty conditions ? also I noticed on the Pont de Normandie it had some illuminated flashing signs I can't quite remember what the wording was but i assumed it meant there could be problems and it was blowing quite a lot ? albeit trafic was still going over ? do you know if they close their bridges if they are likely to have problems similar to what happens to the Dartford bridge ?? The reason I started the post was not just for my own benifit but I thought it would help other people when they are traveling in europe, as when you are in the UK you can listen to the weather forcast and it will tell you if/where/when they are expecting high winds (NOT ALWAYS RIGHT) lol . But what do other travelers do when they are away as i am sure it would be very helpful to everyone Brian Can we have a spell checker on hear please ??

[QUOTE]enodreven - 2006-11-01 10:00 AM Hi, Don I have seen the wind socks, what do you normally do if they are showing gusty conditions ? Brian Can we have a spell checker on hear please ?? [/QUOTE] Brian, I usually "Evacuate my Bowels" (I'm a professional coward) 8-) 8-) After that I just play it by ear and hope for the best. 8-) I would suggest if you see that the trucks are banned I would follow suit. We have two bridges in our area (Humber & Ouse) that are notorious for high winds, on a very windy day you can feel the Humber bridge moving in the wind. 8-) 8-) Don PS If you want a spell checker I suggest you download the Google tool bar there's one on there :-D

I suspect the most likely dangers will arise: - with a cross wind on a very exposed area such as a bridge - with a cross wind compounding an adverse camber on a bend. In the first case, if in doubt pull over and watch what happens to other high-sided vehicles crossing. In the second case, drive very slowly to minimise the centripetal force. As for weather forecasts, I've never had a problem getting hold of one in any country - either via TV or the Internet or a newspaper. All you really need is a synoptic chart showing isobars: if they're close together, you're going to have strong winds and rotten weather. Widely spaced or an area of High pressure and it should be fine (but possibly foggy at this time of year). I always try and update myself before any longish journey 'cos it ain't much fun driving in rotten conditions.

Hi I used to drive a transit with a luton box just like an over cab motorhome the humber bridge was closed to high sided vehicles due to strong winds but me being me thought I would be ok to cross as I did not think high sided included medium size vans but when I arrived at the pay booths after crossing I was given an almighty rollocking from the authorities and brought to my attention that had I been blewn over the cost to me would be 1 closing of the bridge for recovery 2 cost of recovery 3 repairs to damaged road surface this would amount to a very expensive mistake so if the signs state closed to high siders it this also means us

I did once have a rather scary moment in a 7.5 Tonne curtain sider. I was returning empty from a run to Sunderland and a westerly wind had got up. As I approached the M1 from the M18 at 70 MPH and came round the curve from west facing to south I felt the truck rock violently in a strong gust and the speedo needle shot up to about 80MPH for a brief moment as the truck was rocked far enough over to lift one pair of back wheels off the ground! I slowed down rapidly and completed the journey at a much more sedate 50 MPH then stopped at Tibshelf for a change of underwear. D.

There are certain sections of the M62 which are deadly in high winds, it just suddenly gusts at you from nowhere and you end up in another lane if you're not careful! On these particular stretches it even blows a normal car around. If in doubt, just drive carefully and slowly, if necessary stop and have a cuppa to see if it dies down a bit, if not see if you can find another route which doesn't involve such wide open/windy roads, eg some country roads will almost certainly be less blustery than a motorway due to hedges etc which block out some of the gusting. As for avoiding bridges, unfortunately if it looks like it's a breezy day you'd be best to try to use another route anyway unless there really isn't an alternative, make sure you allow yourself extra time as well so that you aren't in a rush and take unnecessary risks.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-11-01 8:49 PM I was returning empty from a run to Sunderland [/QUOTE] Always was risky, driving a full wagon through Sunderland :-D [QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-11-01 8:49 PM I slowed down rapidly and completed the journey at a much more sedate 50 MPH then stopped at Tibshelf for a change of underwear. D.[/QUOTE] Was that because of the Mackems as well :-D Graham

[QUOTE]Supertractorman - 2006-11-02 2:17 PM The tip for HGV Drivers with curtain sided vehicles is to open the curtains do you think it would help on Motorhomes !!!. David[/QUOTE] Hi David, we were told by the company owner not to open the curtain sides for travelling as he had a roof blown off one lorry like that. D.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-11-02 3:06 PMHi David, we were told by the company owner not to open the curtain sides for travelling as he had a roof blown off one lorry like that.[/QUOTE] That probably explains something that mystified me a couple of years ago. I was held up in jams because there was a series of empty wagons blown over on the A1 near Harrogate (I think there was a similar major problem on the A74 near Carlisle at the same time). I remember wondering at the time why the drivers didn't drive with the curtains open. Graham

Archived