Filthy Beggars

StuartO

I'm on a French Site we've used many times before and the Warden (or whatever his title is) is a very helpful bloke - but he does show irritation at Brits who drive out of the Site with grey water dripping out of their tanks, because after emptying the tank they have left the valve open. This leaves a trail of waste water along the road towards the exit and beyond. I doubt that there is all that much water involved but it clearly gets up his nose to see it happening. The temptation to leave the valve open after emptying is presumably because it will clear out the last dregs in the tank, even if this does go on to the road.

This Warden has very limited English but one of his stock phrases is "sheet everayware", which he most frequently applies to French campers because they seem to make a bigger mess in the toilets than us foreigners. He takes a lot of trouble to clean his toilets to a high standard, so he notices these things. But this pet phrase of his clearly also applies to Brits who chose to dribble their gray water all over the place as they leave his Site, which is by no means uncommon among Brits. I can't remember ever seeing a French MH do it.

It is a dirty habit and even Frenchmen notice us doing it. So let's STOP doing it shall we?

Empty the waste tak and then shut the valve, even if there might be a bit left in there because you're not at the right angle to get it all out.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could the problem be partially due to modern M/H design?

The stopcock on my 2002 van was next to the grey water outlet pipe. On my 2010 van the stopcock is located under a hatch in the floor in the habitation area. On a few occasions, I have to admit that I've forgotten to close the valve.

This never happened in my 2002 van. Food for thought !!!!

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2015-08-31 1:32 PM

Or maybe there were lots of people following you and saying to their wives: "look at that filthy beggar!". >:-)

I'd be surprised if they could tell ;-) ..............

As its August bank holiday Monday, so of course it was p*ssing down *-) ...........

I'll be glad when the kids go back to school so the sun can come out of hiding (lol) ..........

pelmetman - 2015-08-31 1:45 PM

Or maybe there were lots of people following you and saying to their wives: "look at that filthy beggar!". >:-)

As its August bank holiday Monday, so of course it was p*ssing down *-) ...........

I'll be glad when the kids go back to school so the sun can come out of hiding (lol) ..........

Oh yes you can tell. I was behind a Nu Venture in heavy traffic on the MI yesterday while it was raining. When he braked or changed lane and there was a surge in the grey water tank there was murky brown water coming out.

Guest pelmetman
Muswell - 2015-08-31 2:50 PM

pelmetman - 2015-08-31 1:45 PM

Oh yes you can tell. I was behind a Nu Venture in heavy traffic on the MI yesterday while it was raining. When he braked or changed lane and there was a surge in the grey water tank there was murky brown water coming out.

Sounds like a lot more than a dribble then ;-) ..........Unless its a modern van thing, my grey tank is never left with more than a few dribbles after emptying, unlike my fresh water tank which dumps loads out of the overfill vent as I drive *-) ..............

So maybe the campsite owner might be jumping to conclusions over every dribble trail? :D .......

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2015-08-31 1:57 PM

Oh yee of negligible shame! :-S

I think I look very pretty in my negligee :D ........

Last year I was parked up at the small stop over at ingolstat.anyone who knows this site will no its right next to the towns rest room for the street cleaners. Well there was a romanian couple with their motorhome who just dumped their grey water all over the road just yards away from the sites grey water drain.the germans blocked them in with their little carts and with much waving of arms made the couple wash all their waste away.it was the best thing I have seen in years of motorhoming. And yes I think standards are dropping in our hobby. Michael

terry1956 - 2015-08-31 8:47 PM

Last year I was parked up at the small stop over at ingolstat.anyone who knows this site will no its right next to the towns rest room for the street cleaners. Well there was a romanian couple with their motorhome who just dumped their grey water all over the road just yards away from the sites grey water drain.the germans blocked them in with their little carts and with much waving of arms made the couple wash all their waste away.it was the best thing I have seen in years of motorhoming. And yes I think standards are dropping in our hobby. Michael

When I empty my grey waste on a CC site, I always use the old hose attached to the non-drinking water tap, and backflush the waste water tank, until all water coming out is clean, have a 30mm waste tap, so it empties fairly quickly. So if any water dribbles out of mine, it's clean water. And it stops the tank and pipes from smelling.

I was recently parked up in small layby in kinmel bay by asda a quite popular spot as its next to the beach as I took the dog for a walk I stood in disbelief as a man not only emptied his grey all over the rd he then pulled out his thunder box and dumped it all on the grass bank at the side of his MH I I noticed he was in a hire van so emailed the co.informng them rather than get into confrontation!

Quite agree, Stuart although it is not always that simple. I have a few feet of pipework after the drain valve and sometimes a little amount dribbles out when I'm on the road although I do backlash like ray.

Worst place I've seen was at the Peterborough Show where so many drove around the site to exit with their waste valve open. I doubt many would drop waste on the road though, the amount coming out of some seems to ensure they'll be dry by the time they reach the exit gates.

Guest pelmetman
sakofox - 2015-09-02 8:27 AM

WHY? just a lazy practice. Would you do it on your own driveway?

Yep :D .................

When we have friends to stay in their campers/caravans we tell them just to let it drain onto the drive, but our drive is gravel so it doesn't puddle ;-) ..........

Dunno why folk are so fussy about a bit of soapy water :-S ..........

I wonder how they wash their vans? 8-) ...........

I've been collecting my "grey water" by means of a bucket under the waste tank outlet, which I then dispose of as it starts to get full. This gives me an opportunity to see what I'm pouring away.

It's certainly not simply "a bit of soapy water" and there is quite a bit of sludge in the bucket and greasy stuff stuck to the sides. I certainly need the bucket washing out with hot soapy water after this use, before it gets put away for the journey. I wouldn't want this stuff dumping on my drive - or on the roadways around my campsite if I owned one. I can understand the Warden on this French Site getting hacked off with MH owners who drive away leaving the waste valve open, just so they can get rid of the last bit in the tank. That's the bit that has the nasty dregs in it.

Agree..

As for any comments about folk washing their vans, well most folk don't wash their vans with dirty water straight from their washing up bowls or from their showers..

Sorry Stu, crossed your post.

Can't talk fir others but after meals we wipe plates clean of waste into the bin with paper towels so no food waste goes into the tank and prevents any smells

Apart from maybe a little left over coffee our grey water has washing up liquid in it and no more ... Any oil used for cooking wiped from pans too

In not going to get too upset by losing the grey over a road drain or the likes

Maybe whinge about the horse crap on my road every day by horse riders who feel they have no obligation to clean it up

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2015-09-02 9:02 AM

Agree..

As for any comments about folk washing their vans, well most folk don't wash their vans with dirty water straight from their washing up bowls or from their showers..

Sorry Stu, crossed your post.

Its common practice for us gardeners to chuck a bowl of washing up water over the roses if they get infested with green fly...............Its seen as a green way of treating the problem ;-) ......

Perhaps I should just blast them with pesticide? 8-) ..............

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2015-09-02 9:57 AM

Can't talk fir others but after meals we wipe plates clean of waste into the bin with paper towels so no food waste goes into the tank and prevents any smells

Apart from maybe a little left over coffee our grey water has washing up liquid in it and no more ... Any oil used for cooking wiped from pans too

No need to wipe anything of our pots or plates after they've been through our pre wash system, although Kira's not as efficient as Troy was....... as she doesn't leave teeth marks :D ..........

These "dog licks our plates" posts are quite entertaining but let's not lose sight of how you show yourself up when you to leave your waste valve open as you drive away from a campsite.

At the very least you are going to dribble some suspicious liquid past the site entrance and for some distance along the road and other campers will know what you are doing.

Archived