Filthy Beggars

StuartO

StuartO - 2015-09-02 11:10 AM

These "dog licks our plates" posts are quite entertaining but let's not lose sight of how you show yourself up when you to leave your waste valve open as you drive away from a campsite.

At the very least you are going to dribble some suspicious liquid past the site entrance and for some distance along the road and other campers will know what you are doing and think of you as a selfish, messy arsehole.

Who leaves waste valve open when leaving campsite ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman

These "dog licks our plates" posts are quite entertaining but let's not lose sight of how you show yourself up when you to leave your waste valve open as you drive away from a campsite.

At the very least you are going to dribble some suspicious liquid past the site entrance and for some distance along the road and other campers will know what you are doing and think of you as a selfish, messy arsehole.

Yep and I don't a dam either :D .............

I see it as providing a service to those who like to be offended >:-) ..............

antony1969 - 2015-09-02 11:41 AM

Unfortunately a significant proportion of Brits in France!

Guest pelmetman

Alright then ;-) ...........

I'll let you curtain twitchers get on with your moaning *-) .... got to pack the camper for a few weeks away, not made up my mind whether to dribble in the UK or France yet :-S ...........

Where did you say that campsite was? :D .............

StuartO - 2015-09-02 12:11 PM

antony1969 - 2015-09-02 11:41 AM

Unfortunately a significant proportion of Brits in France!

I've seen a lot worse than Brits emptying sink waste by the French and others while in Europe .

antony1969 - 2015-09-02 12:41 PM

Bit of fairy liquid ain't half as bad as what those nice traveller/gypsy type folk who are parked up at our local BandQ will be leaving behind at tax payers expense to clean up

So that sort of behaviour by other people justifies you messing on someone else's ground (and being seen to do so) does it?

And it isn't just a bit of fairly iquid, is it? You wouldn't want to wash your underpants out in your grey water discharge, would you?

I'm not suggesting that this is some sort of huge environmental disaster scenario, merely that it isn't nice and it looks bad, so stop doing it. Simple really.

And I'm not suggesting you can't post tongue in cheek responses either. As I said the odd one or two of those in a thread can lighten things up. But too many or too much distorts or sidetracks or even completely wrecks a thread which other people were interested in and that's bad news as well.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2015-09-02 1:49 PM

antony1969 - 2015-09-02 12:41 PM

Bit of fairy liquid ain't half as bad as what those nice traveller/gypsy type folk who are parked up at our local BandQ will be leaving behind at tax payers expense to clean up

So that sort of behaviour by other people justifies you messing on someone else's ground (and being seen to do so) does it?

Therein lies you problem ;-) ........Does your monsewer analyse every dribble trail? :-S ........

As I've previously said my water tank will dump a trail of water after filling up *-) ..........and I always top up right to the brim when touring, I expect that'll annoy your monsewer even more :D ..........

Hi folks,

my van was taken to the fixit man today for cambelt change.

my wife followed in the car, and advised me when we arrived that had left a trail of wet stuff on the local road for about the first 500 yards.

I humbly apologise for this, . Caused by not having closed the drain valve before moving off..it had been drained down last week but obviously the last remaining dregs were thrown out on the corner turns..

mea culpa.

tonyg3nwl.

Guest pelmetman
tonyg3nwl - 2015-09-02 8:30 PM

Hi folks,

my van was taken to the fixit man today for cambelt change.

my wife followed in the car, and advised me when we arrived that had left a trail of wet stuff on the local road for about the first 500 yards.

I humbly apologise for this, . Caused by not having closed the drain valve before moving off..it had been drained down last week but obviously the last remaining dregs were thrown out on the corner turns..

mea culpa.

tonyg3nwl.

500 yards 8-) .............Hanging & drawing is to good for the likes of you >:-) ...........

I do as StuartO does and use a bucket being a bit old fashioned. Even tho' we put as little as possible of solid matter and no grease down the sink drain there is quite a bit of muck in the bottom of the bucket and before leaving the site I wash it out with detergent and hot water. On our local car park in Tobermory many vans just discharge directly on to the surface. They do not in general appreciate being chided for this behaviour.. In many cases they are probably hire vans who have no intention of coming back anyway so do not care.

Hi again,

I should have made it clear that the 500 yds was not a continuous stream but was on the bends over the first 500 yards of my journey

when parked up on the level, there is always a pint or so left which can onlybe drained by putting nearside up on ramps or drive around a sharp left hand bend,..

why dont they put the outlet in the bottom of tanks instead of low down on the side..

tonyg3nwl.

Lots of campsite owners are more than happy for you to dump your grey waste into the hedges or other parts of the site where extra water will be helpful and sometimes they even put a notice up asking you to do so. In France I think you can assume that this will always be the case. So a bucket is handy as long as you check it regularly, to avoid too much overflow in one spot. Even a bit of overflow from your bucket onto a grassy pitch if your bucket overflows isn't going to do any real harm.

But closing your waste valve before you drive off does seem to me to be important, if only because of the bad way it looks, dribbling on to the roadways.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2015-09-03 2:43 PM

But closing your waste valve before you drive off does seem to me to be important, if only because of the bad way it looks, dribbling on to the roadways.

So what about when the fresh water tank vents water? ..............Do I drive around with half a tank, and hope that I can fill up where ever I decide to pitch up for the night :-S ...........

pelmetman - 2015-09-04 7:11 AM

StuartO - 2015-09-03 2:43 PM

So what about when the fresh water tank vents water? ..............Do I drive around with half a tank, and hope that I can fill up where ever I decide to pitch up for the night :-S ...........

It still looks bad, better to close the valve before you move. If you have a faulty overflow then fix it for the same reason.

(And by the way it is an offence in UK to discharge anything on to the highway from a vehicle, for example by leaving a valve open, so it doesn't matter if it's water from a waste tank or fresh from the tap.)

Hi again,

re fresh water tank spilling out, I have had this problem, losing almost haf a tankful on a longish journey.

I finally decided to investigate about a month avo, and found a solution..

The overspill was caused by the fact that the outlet was about 2 inch diameter, and mounted as close to top of tank on the side of it, not on top of tank.

simple solution was to stuff a bung in the hole.and a tiny vent in the filler cap to let air in when pumping out..problem solved.

no fresh water loss now.tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2015-09-03 2:12 PM

why dont they put the outlet in the bottom of tanks instead of low down on the side..

tonyg3nwl.

It would be relatively easy to remove the tank and retrofit a drain plug on the bottom of the tank as long as you had access to the inside through the top. Fit a flush fitting outlet and seal it properly then re attach your outlet hose and re-fit the tank.

You can get self threading pipes but they would protrude into the tank higher than the existing outlet on the side.

Easy enough to do but for the sake of a few dribbles, is it worth it?

tonyg3nwl - 2015-09-03 2:12 PM

Hi again,

I should have made it clear that the 500 yds was not a continuous stream but was on the bends over the first 500 yards of my journey

when parked up on the level, there is always a pint or so left which can onlybe drained by putting nearside up on ramps or drive around a sharp left hand bend,..

tonyg3nwl.

Possibly due to the increased risk of it being damaged on rough ground or ferry ramps?

No no - that cannot be right as it might be construed as good design and that would never do?

Guest pelmetman
tonyg3nwl - 2015-09-04 8:45 AM

Hi again,

re fresh water tank spilling out, I have had this problem, losing almost haf a tankful on a longish journey.

I finally decided to investigate about a month avo, and found a solution..

The overspill was caused by the fact that the outlet was about 2 inch diameter, and mounted as close to top of tank on the side of it, not on top of tank.

simple solution was to stuff a bung in the hole.and a tiny vent in the filler cap to let air in when pumping out..problem solved.

no fresh water loss now.tonyg3nwl

What happens if you get distracted whilst your filling up?.......Does the camper fill up with water? 8-) ........

BTW anyone know where's the A frame thread gone? :-S ...........

Bulletguy - 2015-09-04 5:23 PM

sakofox - 2015-09-02 8:27 AM

WHY? just a lazy practice. Would you do it on your own driveway?

Yes....and often do. It's paved with a long conifer hedge at the front.

I assume you never wash your m/h or car on your drive?

As said on page one, most folk don't tend to wash their vehicles using the dirty water straight from their washing up bowls or from their showers....

Try making a habit of emptying your washing up bowl onto the road outside your house...and see how you get on...

pepe63 - 2015-09-04 6:23 PM

As said on page one, most folk don't tend to wash their vehicles using the dirty water straight from their washing up bowls or from their showers....

Try making a habit of emptying your washing up bowl onto the road outside your house...and see how you get on...

Not sure what goes in your waste tank but mine is 99% water 0.4% shampoo, 0.4% soap and 0.1% toothpaste. Would i wash my vehicle with that? You bet i would......though i'd undoubtedly need add a good few dollops of car shampoo to the water first.

By comparison my household washing up bowl is filled with bits of food, burnt pieces of meats, bits of pasta and i regularly chuck an entire bottle of drain unblocker down the u-bend. Would i empty that on my drive? Nope.......picking all the scraps of food up would be completely counter productive and totally pee me off.

Bulletguy - 2015-09-04 9:56 PM

pepe63 - 2015-09-04 6:23 PM

Not sure what goes in your waste tank but mine is 99% water 0.4% shampoo, 0.4% soap and 0.1% toothpaste. Would i wash my vehicle with that? You bet i would......though i'd undoubtedly need add a good few dollops of car shampoo to the water first.

By comparison my household washing up bowl is filled with bits of food, burnt pieces of meats, bits of pasta and i regularly chuck an entire bottle of drain unblocker down the u-bend. Would i empty that on my drive? Nope.......picking all the scraps of food up would be completely counter productive and totally pee me off.

Absolutely ... Makes me wonder too what some put down the drain to get em so flustered .... Not surprised some complain of strange smells coming from the drains

Some of us seem to be arguing that because their waste water is exceptionally clean, just water and a bit of detergent, it's OK for them to dump it anywhere, just as they wash their MH on their drive using soapy water.

But that's not really the point is it? You can do what you like on your own drive. You can empty your toilet casette where you like when you are at home.

We're talking here about leaving your waste valve open when you move around on someone else's ground or on the public road, with the likelihood that at least for the first part of your journey the dregs from your tank will dribble out - and it doesn't really matter what the dregs consist of, it just looks very bad to move around allowing tank contents to escape.

I used to do it because I wanted to get some air into the empty tank while I was driving but I've realised that it's not a nice thing to do so I won't be doing it again. If I want to rinse the tank and then let it dry out, I'll have to take a bit of extra trouble to ensure that I get the tank completely empty if I'm on some one else's ground in future. And if I'm on someone else's ground I won't drive off with the valve open anyway, to avoid the risk of looking like a filthy beggar who doesn't care what he imposes on other people.

Archived