Filthy Beggars

StuartO

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bulletguy - 2015-09-04 9:56 PM

By comparison my household washing up bowl is filled with bits of food, burnt pieces of meats, bits of pasta and i regularly chuck an entire bottle of drain unblocker down the u-bend. Would i empty that on my drive? Nope.......

But isn't that the point?... :-D

Many will just treat their MH sinks as they would their sinks at home, so that's the type of "food debris" that some folk will be just swilling down into their waste tanks?...

(We used to wipe everything off, and as our waste outlet was right under the van and a pain to empty anywhere without a drive over waste point, we'd usually tip the washing up bowl into a bucket outside the door ...but as others have stated, even "just soapy water" can leave a "scummy" mess).

But as Stuart says, it's not just about what's in waste water but where it is dumped and the impression it gives...

Hi sabino.

As far as drinking water is concerned, the only times we'd empty ours (because we "no longer need it") would be after we had arrived home...so then it would just get drained into our own border/shrubbery. ;-)

sabino - 2015-09-05 11:05 AM

I must admit to discharging my drinking water when I no longer need it.

Do you have a link about it being an offence in the UK? I need to get myself sorted.

Thanks.

I saw it when I was browsing a book called The Traffic Officer's Handbook, which is published and updated periodically as a source of learning and reference for police officers. I can't remember the precise law involved of course but this book does quote it, presumably to facilitate prosecution. You might find the book in Waterstones if you need chapter and verse. As I recall the offence arises if anything is discharged from a vehicle on to the highway, including clean water. And the verge of a road (and the pavement) are all part of the highway for this purpose.

I've never heard of any MH owner being prosecuted for this and I don't think that's the issue here. The message I have been trying to get across is that we shouldn't leave waste valves open as we move off after emptying tanks because It's obvious what we've done and it looks so bad.

Bulletguy - 2015-09-04 9:56 PM

By comparison my household washing up bowl is filled with bits of food, burnt pieces of meats, bits of pasta and i regularly chuck an entire bottle of drain unblocker down the u-bend. Would i empty that on my drive? Nope.......picking all the scraps of food up would be completely counter productive and totally pee me off.

pepe63 - 2015-09-05 11:38 AM

But isn't that the point?... :-D

Many will just treat their MH sinks as they would their sinks at home, so that's the type of "food debris" that some folk will be just swilling down into their waste tanks?...

I'm no expert on domestic plumbing and drains but i'd lay good money on it that even the most 'high end' MH's wouldn't be capable of taking the same abuse. The small bore piping fitted in MH's would get rammed up within a matter of days.

When i'm on tour i rarely use my oven and only cook something in an emergency and even then, the food goes on disposable plates. I drink plenty of coffee but that's about it. I cook food every day i'm at home so i'm damned if i'm going to fiddle and fart about cooking meals when i'm away. I might just as well stop at home if i've got to face that every evening! I go away to get away from daily routine chores.....not take them with me!

pepe63 - 2015-09-05 11:38 AM

But as Stuart says, it's not just about what's in waste water but where it is dumped and the impression it gives...

I'm not there to "impress" anyone. I familiarise myself as much as possible with road traffic law of each country i'm in and abide by them. I'm not aware of any forbidding a few drips of plain soapy water, even in this country, otherwise the PC 'police' would have an absolute field day trawling around housing estates looking for any Sunday car washers!

TBH i think a few folk really do get manic obsessive about things. It's a British 'peculiarity'.

StuartO - 2015-09-05 8:56 AM

But that's not really the point is it? You can do what you like on your own drive. You can empty your toilet cassette where you like when you are at home.

Not quite. Empty the contents of a cassette toilet out on your driveway and you'd soon be getting a visit by your local Environmental Health officer from the Council.....and rightly so too. Down the toilet is fine, but not anywhere else.

Big difference between untreated raw sewage and drops of soapy water!

Guest pelmetman
derek pringle - 2015-09-05 8:56 PM

pelmetman - 2015-08-31 12:54 PM

I doubt anyone noticed me dribbling on the way back from Billing Aquadrome this morning :D .........

Wipe your feet on the way in there

I take it you've been on a bank holiday weekend 8-) ...............

Thousands of campers in one place, loud music, and down wind of hundreds of bbq lighters :-S ............

We kinda of enjoyed it in a self flagellation sort of way :D ..............

PS now at ex CC site Houghton Mill, and the only loud noises are from me in the Bog'et (lol) ......

PPS looks like the curtain twitchers are still in full flow (lol) .................

Think I'll sneak out and open my stop cock under the cover of darkness >:-) ........

Guest pelmetman
thebishbus - 2015-09-06 8:44 AM

The problem with dumping any liquid , even clean water on an otherwise dry road, is the risk to cyclists and motor cyclists. They are not expecting to suddenly hit a greasy ( because of oil film) wet patch on a good dry road surface.

Brian B.

So do we ban horses, dustcarts, etc etc all of which dump stuff on the highway?.........and don't forget you folk with aircon, your vehicle leaves a pool of water when ever its stationary for a short while ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2015-09-06 9:46 AM

pelmetman - 2015-09-06 9:31 AM

So do we ban horses, dustcarts, etc etc all of which dump stuff on the highway?.........and don't forget you folk with aircon, your vehicle leaves a pool of water when ever its stationary for a short while ;-) .........

I suggest that you are really scrapping the barrel for counter arguments with that one. Two wrongs never make a right, do they?

Really? I thought I was just pointing out that in the grand scheme of deposits on the highway.......a few dribbles from ones waste tank is hardly here or there ;-) ............

Cant say I plan on changing my habits, as I suspect my green footprint is better than most on here :D ....

pelmetman - 2015-09-06 10:43 AM

Really? I thought I was just pointing out that in the grand scheme of deposits on the highway.......a few dribbles from ones waste tank is hardly here or there ;-) ............

And as far as 'offences' go, it pales into insignificance compared to the number of French motorhomers who ignore the laws and camp on aires, often for weeks on end, tow vehicles with A-frames, or rinse out their toilet cassette from the drinking water tap.

Just to add to the dirty habit of leaving a trail of waste water coming from their van do they not think of the cars etc. following behind and getting the muck thrown up from the road,especially if its raining. This happened to us once after leaving a rally and we had to back off well back from the recommended safe distance between us.

Perhaps a bit more thought for others feelings and discomfort would go a long way.

George

Maybe Stuart has cast a spell on us grey dribblers ... I set off with grey open this morning and just as it started spewing out all over the road and causing traffic to crash behind me the engine fault warning light came on and a strange noise started under the bonnet ... It's going to the doctors tomorrow for I suppose costly surgery and I'm sure old Stuarts got sumat to do with it

Archived