leisure battery set up

mjaysee

im a total novice and i am converting a vivaro into camper. Im trying to figure out the best system to install for the leisure battery. Do i charge from the engine when running, using a split relay of some type? or will a solar panel be sufficiant.? the solar panel will not be premanently fixed as on-street parking. will hooking up solar panel, say 100w system, keep battery topped up when wild camping?? In addition how do i power 12v system when hooked up at a site so im not draining leisure battery unnessesarily. Dont plan to install fridge, probably just 12v coolbox, lighting, water pump & usb chargers on 12v system

If someone could just outline the basics i can reasearch the rest.

It would be worth your while checking out and joining the Motorhome Self Builders club and getting a hold of John Wickenshams motorhome manual.

A 100 watt solar panel and a say 110 AH leisure battery would be able to power your lights, pump and usb chargers, most probably indefinitely in nice sunny weather, but your cooler would flatten the system very quickly . A split charging relay system is relatively easy to install and costs very little. All the kit for a mains system and charger is available at accessory stores and online, cable, socket rcd distribution unit , and fuse boxes to isolate the various items.

Your right, the charger will deliver power to the battery as you are using it up, enabling you to use your higher wattage devices such as the cool box. If not on hook up you can survive for days with your solar panel as long as you are not using more power than the sun is providing. When on the road if you flatten the battery by 50% you will need to run for 4 to 6 hours to regain a full charge.

Archived