Reverse polarity

Poursay

So this is nothing technical only what is considered necessary to protect the site. I a more concerned that something is described is technically correct which is more important than protecting an image.

You appear to forget that "in a healthy electrical circuit, reverse polarity presents no problems unless you dabble"

sshortcircuit - 2015-09-02 5:13 PM

So this is nothing technical only what is considered necessary to protect the site. I a more concerned that something is described is technically correct which is more important than protecting an image.

You appear to forget that "in a healthy electrical circuit, reverse polarity "

No Sir, wrong on both counts! Please look again at my first paragraph, where I refer to the regulations. I would consider these to be technical.

I am well aware that reverse polarity "presents no problems unless you dabble". I just don't think that is safe advice, because it doesn't cater for the actions of the innocent or the uninformed.

It is also advice not to correct the polarity, which is counter to the technical regulations. What is the advantage of not correcting, as against the advantage of correcting? Are the regulations wrong?

Gee guys, never expected this lot from what appeared to be a simple question which initially received an instant and short reply.

I will clear up a few points.. The reverse polarity light came on on all four sites and on none of the 2 French Passion sites which gave us electricity and not at all when we plugged into a friend's house over there.I prebooked 2 of the sites as we were on them for 9 days each and requested electricity as by this time our daughter and granddaughter ( aged 8 ) were with us. OK I had the choice of not using the electricity I had paid for but didn't think the leisure battery would last that long!

On UK sites and when charging at home, the reversed polarity light never comes on. Obviously had the light always come on then I would have twigged something was wrong and investigated further.

The fact that our granddaughter was with us was my main concern, particularly as there are always IPads, phones etc to be charged up. I work on the better safe than sorry principle and would prefer to be sure than dabble!

I will look at the reverse polarity adapter as previously mentioned.

I am aware that there should be no problems normally but then again why am I warned that the polarity is reversed.

Thanks guys for your opinions, rest assured I arrived home safely, didn't dabble not did I have sleepless nights about the red warning light shining on my fuse box.

Mike

In which case you were just a bit unlucky with the sites you used, and a short lead such as you suggest, with the connector at one or other end wired + to - and - to + will resolve future cases.

If your fuse box indicator signals lack of an earth, that would be a bonus. If not, get a plug in tester, available from most caravan/motorhome accessory shops (just plugs into a 13A socket in the van), use that to identify bad earth connections, and don't connect where you find one. It is a far from common problem, but we have found the odd one (including one that came and went!). This is the real danger, but it is usually resolved by just plugging into a different socket, occasionally into a different bollard.

Poursay - 2015-09-03 9:57 PM

...I am aware that there should be no problems normally but then again why am I warned that the polarity is reversed...

Mike

Sargent’s advice on the purpose of the reverse polarity indicator is as follows

"The reverse polarity light is designed to illuminate when the Live and Neutral supply has been reversed/crossed over. If the light illuminates there is a problem with the site supply or the cable connecting the supply to your vehicle. The light is designed to work on UK electrical supplies (where the neutral conductor is connected to earth at the sub station). If you are using your vehicle outside the UK this light may illuminate when no fault exists. In these cases consult the site warden for advice.”

Swift’s Owner Handbook says

"OVERSEAS CONNECTION

Note: Connection to a mains voltage supply OVERSEAS requires particular attention.

Care must be taken when connecting supplies abroad since the supplies can be of REVERSE POLARITY.

The significance of REVERSE POLARITY is that when equipment is switched off it may not be electrically isolated.

The only certain way of making equipment safe is to unplug it.

If electrical polarity indication is not included in your motorhome electrical equipment, it is useful to have a means of checking polarity of the mains supply, especially when touring overseas.

There are several proprietary makes of equipment available for the purpose.

If it can be achieved, it is preferable to connect live to live, and neutral to neutral to maintain full electrical protection.

CHECK all motorhome equipment is set-up to accept the site supply before actually switching on.”

Similar advice is offered by leisure-vehicle clubs and in magazine articles (examples here)

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/power/electricity-for-campers-and-caravanners/

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/28463-how-to-cope-with-reverse-polarity-on-tour

And the device mentioned here

can still be obtained (from several suppliers) allowing the reversed polarity to be ‘corrected’ without resorting to an external adapter.

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/mains-polarity-changeover-switch-with-audible-alarm-p-3419.html?osCsid=6dc43ec764c57a462c662a38723c36f5

As you’ve discovered, reversed polarity on French campsites’ mains power supplies is commonplace and, as you’ve said that knowing (via the red warning light) that you had connected to a reversed-polarity supply did not much concern you, you can just follow earlier advice in this thread and ignore the issue. Alternatively you can do something that will extinguish the red warning light when the reversed-polarity situation arises. It’s your choice.

My own view is that - even if you decide to forget about reverse polarity - if you want to pursue a “better safe than sorry” policy, it would be sensible to follow Brian Kirby’s advice to use a plug-in mains tester each time you connect up.

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/58645-pro-elec-t203-plug-mains-tester.html

Based on what Mike has said there is no credible reason to suspect that his motorhome’s electrical system is ‘unhealthy’. Obviously if he thought that it was he should do as you suggest, but even after an electrical system has been “tested and inspected by a competent person”, this will have no effect on the safe (or otherwise) condition of any mains electrical power supply encountered subsequently.

I find it hard to believe anyone would choose to argue against testing a campsite’s power supply (preferably before connecting to it) to check its condition, particularly as it’s such a simple thing to do. As you said earlier "Rather than be concerned about reverse polarity it is more important to have a good earth at the hook-up point” and testing should establish if that is so.

If the installation is tested and found to be a healthy then reverse polarity will present no problems unless you dabble so in effect there is a requirement to ensure vehicle is safe,

As previously indicated it is more important to ensure the earth is satisfactory and these simple indicators are for that purpose.

Hi Guys

Yes I do have thing that plugs into a socket and tells me all is OK or otherwise. All I really wanted was confirmation that I could reverse the wires in a plug to negate the reverse polarity situation. The first reply succinctly answered that.

Thanks to those guys who made suggestions, in particular Brian and Derek and a happy motor homing to you all.

Mike

Archived