Grey water not draining

mikeymay

The grey water tank is full as no water is draining from the sink but when I open the grey water valve no water at all comes out.

This leads me to think there is a blockage somewhere but looking under the MH there is one 90 degree turn on the pipe out of the tank and then the outlet.

This pipe is one piece and seems to screw onto the bottom of the tank and looks very awkward to remove.

Is there another method of draining the tank not using the normal drain pipe?

It seems likely to me that the most likely place for a blockage of some sort is in the down pipe from the sink to the tank, because on all our vans that has been the smaller pipe, and also, there should be a breather from the tank. If the tank is full it should overflow through the breather, which would allow the water to drain from the sink, so it might pay you to start from there.

If you have a plumber's type sink plunger you could try that over the sink waste pipe, or if not, put a couple of inches of water into the sink and pump vigorously into the plug hole with a rolled up dishcloth, that can be enough.

If all else fails, bearing in mind the there could be a column of dirty water 3 feet or more high that is looking for an escape route, I would start from the top and work my way down, and have something to try to catch it in, or at least, soak it up.

AGD

Get a curtain wire, the type that is plastic coated and flexible  and push this up through the open drain cock on the waste water tank this should reach any blockage, usually hair and toothpaste residue once you get it running part fill the tank with hot water, liquid soap , coke or whatever else you have heard about and go for a short drive so that the  waste water tank gets a good swishing and flush, this works for me and I always leave my waste tank cock open catching the waste water in a bucket for disposal.

If water from BOTH sinks (kitchen and bathroom) is not draining then it's probably the grey water tank outlet that is clogged.

It has been known that plastic swarf from cutting the holes in the tank (during manufacture) eventually migrates to the oulet and blocks it up.

As previously suggested, a piece of curtain wire or back flush with a water hose should dislodge the offending debris (with the grey water stopcock open of course).

mikeymay - 2015-09-01 6:01 PM

Solved.....

I put a hose pipe all the way up the outlet and turned it on.

Cleared instantly!

Good..

..but it would also be worth doing as others have suggested and give the tank a good splosh about with some hot water, bleach etc (some recommend cheap cola)... to help stop "it" building up again.

Archived