Rear Lounge Motorhome

Dibsy

Hello

We are a family of 4 with 2 tall teenage boys (about 5'11'' so far!) and are currently tent campers who are thinking about converting to a MH to enable us to extend our season and the ability to go away more easily for 1 or 2 nights.

We've thought about (and tried a weekend away in a borrowed MH) in a MH with bunk beds but thought that, especially in bad weather, we could do with a bit more space.

This led us on to thinking about a 6 berth MH with an overcab bed, a dining area and a rear lounge. However we would need the lounge to be long enough for the beds to be 2 singles rather than a transverse double (as the boys won't share and we don't want to use the dining area.

My question comes from the fact that it is not always clear from descriptions how big the lounge is/whether it can be 2 beds. Can you help with your experiences? We are looking for a MH which is about 10-15 years old.

Thanks in advance.

Dibsy

your biggest issue is likely to be weight....a six berth van carrying, effectively, four adults and their kit......

this will be tricky on a van with a MGW of 3500 kg....

you may have the license to go bigger, but if youre restricted to 3.5t then you MUST weighnthe actual van you are considering purchasing prior to payment.....older 6 berth vans will be close to the limit, check axle weights too....

Thanks for the replies.

We have decided that we definitely don't want a caravan...

I am aware that weight is an issue. I could drive a MH >3500kg. I guess after years of camping we are quite good at travelling reasonably light!

Is it the age of the MH that we are looking for that exacerbates the weight problem?

Dibsy

Motorhome weights have increased in part because the addition of better safety measures on the base vehicle increases weight. Size obviously increases weight as would the never ending accessories we sometimes fit to enable us to motorhome in all environments.

Rear lounges tend to be seen on UK vans and less on continental vans. So look at the big Autotrail and Swift models. If you really want big, then Burstner's Argos is a great big family motorhome - here's an example from a web search and not a dealer recommendation, nor do I know the bed sizes:

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/burstner/argos/2006-burstner-argos-a748-2-diesel-shepton-mallet-mfpa-2c929b994f1bf28d014f634638275a2c/makemodel/make/burstner/model/argos?featuredListing=true

Out&About Live does good guides for new motorhomers so read at your leisure if you haven't done so already:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Buyers-Guide/Motorhomes/_vt13

Thanks John for your reply.

We are still wavering between bunks and end lounge; the plus of having more space in the end lounge and the plus of having a smaller MH with bunks. I think the Argos has a fixed rear bed which we are sure we don't want...

We've had a look at the guides; they are great. It's just such a difficult decision when it is such a big chunk of money!!

Dibsy

To answer the actual question. I had a 6 berth 3.500 Kg Autostratus EB with a rear lounge and the two bench seats were useable as 2 singles or a gigantic double (2mtrs x 2mtrs) plus with the loose table there was plenty of room for 6 to eat or for entertainment you will find that the dinette is only suitable for 4 people and if you use it as a double it makes the ladder access to the overcab double unuseable, I would also suggest that you try exiting the overcab as getting in is easy it's the getting out that fun. Hope this helps. John ;-)

Archived