Thetford for disabled use at home

colin

Have been looking for a Thetford for my mother to use at home.

The 'normal' one for home use seems more of a pain to empty than our campervan one which just slides out, anyone one know of a stand alone unit like a motorhome one?

My other option would be to make a base to use a C200 or similar.

Colin, we looked around for some months without any success. Partly because the powers that be and family members couldn't get their head around a Thetford cassette. We gave up in the end following a discussion on health & safety and disability access which ensures that whatever is provided, has to comply with the regulations and Thetfords were not robust enough. Also, my mother had little enough sense to operate a Thetford correctly.

flicka - 2015-09-07 10:20 PM

Hi Colin have a look at the Porta-Potty range of toilets. I think they maybe more suitable

http://www.portapotti.net/

Sorry that link takes you to the USA sites

You may need to look at the "hold down kits" also

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l2632.R3.TR3.TRC2.A0.H1.Xporta+potty.TRS0&_nkw=porta+potty&_sacat=169486

I'm afraid the porta potti are the ones I'm trying to avoid. IMO they are nowhere near as easy to empty as one with slide out cassette.

At the moment best option looks like an older 402 with flush tank and manual flush, will have to fit it to a 'base'.

colin - 2015-09-07 10:36 PM

I'm afraid the porta potti are the ones I'm trying to avoid. IMO they are nowhere near as easy to empty as one with slide out cassette.

At the moment best option looks like an older 402 with flush tank and manual flush, will have to fit it to a 'base'.

Yes, we occasionally use a Fiamma porta loo in our camping-van and as you say, the emptying, when compared to a cassette loo, is a bit of a faff (splitting the tow halves and sitting the top section down somewhere)..

Prior to getting it, like you, I toyed with knocking together a base "cupboard" for a cassette loo...and I think it's something I may still do at some stage.

(plenty of second hand units on ebay for not that much money, so worth a try..?)

Brock - 2015-09-07 4:21 PM

Colin, we looked around for some months without any success. Partly because the powers that be and family members couldn't get their head around a Thetford cassette. We gave up in the end following a discussion on health & safety and disability access which ensures that whatever is provided, has to comply with the regulations and Thetfords were not robust enough. Also, my mother had little enough sense to operate a Thetford correctly.

who are 'the powers that be'? If they are Health and Social Services ,they are badly informed.

http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-and-camping/toilets/portable-toilets/disabled-elderly-portable-toilet-aid-with-folding-mobility-frame/

Obviously they only know what they want to know, however inadequate their knowledge may be!

Brock - 2015-09-07 4:21 PM

who are 'the powers that be'? If they are Health and Social Services ,they are badly informed.

http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-and-camping/toilets/portable-toilets/disabled-elderly-portable-toilet-aid-with-folding-mobility-frame/

Obviously they only know what they want to know, however inadequate their knowledge may be!

Archived