A new member's perspective on this Forum

Fellbound

Head above the parapet. I only got my MH a month ago and joined this forum at the same time. I have learnt lots from reading the threads and have had a number of queries answered by fellow users which is so useful. However, I have found it quite an eye opener and quite dispiriting at times. This is because of the amount of sniping that appears to go on between certain forum users. I just do not get it! I suspect that the individuals concerned would not dream of trading abuse and sarcasm like this if parked next to each other on a camp site discussing the same issues. I also suspect that face to face they would be far more polite in expressing disagreement. So what is it about the Internet that makes some people act in such a way? I doubt this post will make the slightest difference, but I do wonder why some users get so uptight about the comments of others, why some can not disagee with courtesy, and why some openly abuse others. As my old mum used to say to me when I was a teenager "if you can't say anything positive or nice, then don't say anything at all".

So to finish on a positive note, thanks again to the vast majority who contribute their experience and wisdom on this forum for the rest of us in a freindly and positive manner.

Welcome to the forums! I will add one thing - everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it runs contrary to what someone else has posted. However, personal abuse will not be tolerated. If you have any issues on any thread with what another member has said, simply report it, either using the contact the moderator option or send an email to myself directly at duncane@warnersgroup.co.uk

Thanks,

Duncan

Hi Fellbound,

It's a good job you bought your MH 'then' joined in on here.  I am of the opinion that we do have some 'keyboard warriors' as do most forums unfortunately and original posts sometimes get hijacked and turned into spats.  I would imagine anyone looking to buy into the MH, Caravan, camping holidaying lifestyle and looking on here to gauge the type of person they are likely to meet would soon be put off by some offerings here.  However I am pleased to say that the sidetracking 'spats' have been massively curtailed since moderation has been more active.........long may it continue and welcome to the world of MH's and the forum.

Sniping exists on most forums unless there is draconian moderation. Although this forum is moderated, it remains a light touch. Some of what is perceived as sniping will be old friends having an amicable tussle. For others, it is about battles and wars fought long ago and which have never been settled - think Korea! And somehow, name calling children have registered on this site! Fortunately, most are adults and probably all are knowledgeable.

What is it about people acting in a certain way? It's called 'anti-process'. It exists in life as well as on internet forums.

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Antiprocess

pelmetman - 2015-09-07 5:04 PM

Anti process eh? :D ..........

I thought it was called Victor Meldrew syndrome (lol) ............

Only in your case. :D

Each forum has a different 'feel' to it, at least that is how I view them. I have no idea why, maybe it is just me. 8-)

Guest pelmetman
Cliffy - 2015-09-07 9:12 PM

And here's me thinking it had been quite civilised on here in the past six months or so. ;-)

Just as well the OP wasn't on here then 8-) ...........

(lol) (lol) (lol)

I have to disagree, I am new to a motorhome and have asked simple questions, silly questions, the same question twice and intelligent questions as I have progressed along my learning curve. I have only ever received helpful and intelligent answers. Thank you all.

I jus't don't read the "wandering" posts when old friend spar!

Guest pelmetman
Brock - 2015-09-07 11:18 PM

Dave, VMS only kicks in when you retire. That's when you realise nobody is interested in what you say except perhaps other forum members who also have VMS!

Anti-process kicks in at a much younger stage in life.

I think I have........ Anti-progress eh? :D .............

Yes its a great forum for learning about your new motorhome, and i was amazed at the amount of knowledge on here : i must say at first i was shocked at the spats and fallouts , but then found i quite enjoyed them , and realised who was "baiting" who and watched as some members seemed to be drawn in to arguments , and i used to think to myself "why do you fall for it ?" Everytime ! Anyhow i miss the old tussles and arm wrestling that used to happen , also an eye opener at the views of some folks eg homophobic , dog haters , children , pvc, cc sites , gas attacks yay/nay phew it can get heated !

And i always try and picture them , but im sure id be soo wrong : stick at it , its a great forum even including the " grumpy old gits" (am i allowed to say that?) cheers enjoy your new motorhome pp :)

I am also fairly new to this forum and motorhoming but would like to say that there is an amazing amount of knowledge to be gained from these very experienced members.

I would also like to say that I may have my faults but being wrong isn't one of them- that should wind some people up. :-D

Archived