Motorhome Door

Grumpy Grandad

Hi.

We have a 2007 Hymer B544. Recently the lock on the habitation door has become more and more difficult to both open and lock. When you pull the inner handle to open the door, it goes right to the end of its travel before it disengages the lock. We were away with the van at the weekend and the inner handle now does not return to the closed position. Hopefully this can be seen on the photos.

Two questions.

1. How do I get the inner and outer door skins apart, so I can get to the lock please?

2. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement lock mechanism in a hurry, We are booked to go to France in 3 weeks time, immediately after Lincoln Show.

Thanks in anticipation

Stuart

Hi Stuart I did post a method about a year ago but couldn't find it. If your door has circular plastic discs along the edges (width) they will be "push-pin rivets" & you need a small diameter rod to push the pins through to the inside of the door. (You may need to feel to find the central pin, as they are not very visible) They will be located on all the edges (both sides, top & bottom) Once the pins are pushed through gentle prise out the rivet. They work like a rawl-bolt but without a thread. When all rivets are removed the interior "skin" can be removed by unscrewing the interior lock cover & with a little pulling as it is secured by Velcro & a little jiggling around the lock. If lucky the "push-pins will have stuck in the insulation for re-use. If not some may be on the floor. You will then be able to see the lock mechanism & associated cables. with luck they may only need re-locating to original positions. Once the lock & cables are adjusted, it's simply a reversal of the dismantle. Re-locate the inner skin, lock cover & rivets. Once all the rivets & the interior cover sits in position, replace the "push-pins" If you lose any of the "push-pins" Cut new ones from any thin plastic rod. My dealer used cut off plastic curtain hooks. Not as daunting as it sounds, just a slow process.

Hello Flicka.

Thanks for your reply. I have checked the door and I'm afraid it doesn't have any discs on the edges at all. All that appears to hold the two pieces together is the long pull handle. I contacted Hambiltons and they advised not trying to do it myself in case of doing further damage. We are going to Lincoln show, so I may find a helpful dealer. If I get anywhere I will let you know

Thanks again though

Archived