German Umwelt zones

Steve928

We recently followed the satnav and roads signs to cross Freiburg im Bressau in the Rhine valley to join the A5 Autobahn heading south. This took us along a route which I now know encroaches upon the city's Umwelt zone. Looking at the map now I see that there's a clear (and much faster..) route outside the zone but neither we nor the satnav spotted it and we headed straight on, in company with most all the other traffic including many lorries.

I don't have the required green sticker so should I expect a fine in the post?

Just over a week ago, we were coming down the Weinstrasse en route for Freiburg, when I realised we didn't have the green sticker. Stopped at what seemed to be an MOT station, and they did all the necessary checks and supplied one, for 10 Euros. The chap apologised for charging so much, but it was because our V5 lacked a lot of relevant info which he had to pull together from various databases. He was quite amusing about it, saying " this field, empty. This field, and this, and this, all empty. But here, most importantly, the colour is white."

As it turned out, we were in Freiburg for an hour, couldn't get alace to stop and ended up on a really nice Stellplatz out of town at Bad Krozingen. And now in France, but we've got it for next time, and at 10 Euros I believe much cheaper than you might pay in UK.

Brambles - 2015-09-11 10:07 AM

Nothing will come of it. They have rare roadside checks and tourists apparently just get advised.

Thanks, that's good news. We hadn't planned to visit Germany but ended up spending almost 2 weeks there enjoying the scenery, superb smooth roads and endless cycle tracks. I was aware of the requirement for the green sticker but didn't envisage going into any of the affected areas and was suprised to see the 'end of zone' sticker as we came out of Freiburg.

Brambles - 2015-09-11 10:45 AM

white? Am I missing something here? I thought they were red, yellow or green.

Now it's me who's missing something. He meant that our V5 told him nothing useful, but it did say the vehicle was white in colour.

So what come in red, yellow, or green?

candapack - 2015-09-11 10:54 AM

Brambles - 2015-09-11 10:45 AM

white? Am I missing something here? I thought they were red, yellow or green.

Now it's me who's missing something. He meant that our V5 told him nothing useful, but it did say the vehicle was white in colour.

So what come in red, yellow, or green?

I have caught up, I thought you were referring to the umwelt zone sticker being white and not your vehicle colour. The zone badges come in red yellow or green depending on your emission levels , most areas now requiring the green.

Archived