V5 and seat belts

yoko8pups

My Hymer 524GT has 4 completely legal seat belts, my V5 says 2 seats. I understand that the V5 only concerns itself with the base vehicle not the conversion but while trying to import our van this is a discrepancy. I have rung the DVLA and the number of seat belts cannot be altered although it is somewhere in "the rules" that the other 2 seat belts are considered legal in UK law. Can anyone point me to the bit of legislation which says this. I have tried googling this and while there are a lot of discussions about this on a lot of the forums no one has quoted chapter and verse.

As far as I am aware whether the seat belt is on the V5 or not is not relevant. It is the particular legislation that matters.

Every seat belt provided for any person in a vehicle to which the requirement to provide seatbelts applies (motorhomes come in this category) must be legibly and permanently marked with a British Standard mark or a designated approval mark or with an EC Component Type-Approval Mark.

The main legislation dealing with which vehicles are required to have seatbelts is Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (as amended several times). And the one stating that to conform as a seatbelt there must be a marking (since you are importing) is EU Directive (EC) 2000/3. There is a statutory instrument for British manufactured vehicles, if anyone's interested.

Are you bored yet?

I have never given the matter any thought before but have assumed that since my motorhome (also an imported Hymer) has 4 seatbelts fitted, they are all legal.

Archived