Transit suspension

DonB

Hi, Yep, agree with docted.....anything strange with steering, first move is to check the tyre pressure. Unless its a funny rattle that could indicate loose wheel nuts. That one you check NOW. If they are loose enough to rattle, at least one will be less than finger tight. 602

Thanks everyone, tyre pressures and wheel nuts definitely ok. It just seems that compared to the Ducato we used to have, this one has much softer suspension on the rear. I am just under weight overall and axle, but I am nearly up to my max, 3500.

Just managed to find some info about your van on the web, it's a big-un ain't it!!! With the massive overcab sticking out and the double floor I'm not surprised that it wallows a bit. The problem is that if you stiffen the suspension you'll probably have a harsh ride instead, and may find it jigs around making it more difficult to drive generally. I'd suggest sticking with it as it is for a while, once you have checked there isn't a fault, and see if it settles in a bit. You could also have a look at how you're stowing your gear - eg are you putting much up in the top lockers and overcab that could be causing it to be a bit top heavy? Keep as much as possible down below within the wheelbase, spreading it evenly so you don't overload the axles - have you had it weighed when fully loaded to see if you can improve things in this regard? We've got a low profile Rapido, the 709F which is the baby of the range (not a current model anymore) and even this has a bit of a wallow every now and again. Before this we had an overcab coachbuilt, but it was lower and a smaller overcab than yours but even that was affected by vehicles going by and crosswinds especially, I think it's the nature of the beast to a great extent. It can be quite startling until you get used to it. *-)

Archived