Advice needed - wintering in UK

Johnrob

Hi my first post. Situation forces a change in life and I've decided to try living full time for a while - 6 moths at least to start. Always wanted to now I can starting October or November!

Anyhow I've done a lot of research past few days but thought I'd join here and ask. I need to buy a motor home suitable for winter in UK where I will always be warm if required. I know double floor units are best for this but would any new single skin still be warm enough?

I have budgeted about £50k to spend on the unit. There is a new sunlight t69l 10 year edition in this price range. Has trauma 6 heating I think but pretty sure it's single floor.

Or am I better off a 6 year old hymer or dethleffs. Would like to not lose more than £5k depreciation in 1 year. Is that possible? Probably not for new but second hand? What would a 50k new van be worth in 1 year btw?

Any advice gratefully received.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go for a double floor as you never know how low temperatures will go. For your budget, you could get a great van but at a guess, anything over £30k is going to drop by close to £5k in the first year unless you get a bargain.

You say full timing but do not say whether you will be working. Full timing in a bad UK winter whilst working will be hard going. If you are intending using sites, you might find like I did, that flat rental is cheaper. I worked away from home and intended to live in the van. Then I found flats were almost as cheap. That winter, 2010/11 was incredibly cold to be in a motorhome and working.

Yes I'll be working, I have my own business and office, and car. I plan to stay and proper hard standing sites during week within distance of office, and then going exploring for weekends or long weekends (if I can get internet I can work longer away from office).

Don't want to get a flat because a) they are quite expensive where I live b) don't want to commit to utilities, council tax etc, c) like a bit of adventure and something completely different, d) give me time to work out where and what I want to do next!

Thanks Rayjsj . I did a quick search for Alpa's don't think there are any used RHD in UK at the moment.

Did you suggest Dethleffs as a brand because of quality and price vs the competition (i.e. Hymer, Burstner, Knaus) or was it just the Alpa that is good from Dethleffs?

Johnrob - 2015-09-17 1:57 PM

Don't want to get a flat because a) they are quite expensive where I live b) don't want to commit to utilities, council tax etc, c) like a bit of adventure and something completely different, d) give me time to work out where and what I want to do next!

Weigh up the pros and cons and the biggest that stands out straight away is the comment i emboldened in your quote. Purchase a privately owned flat and the value is only going one way.......UP.

Purchase a motorhome and the value is only ever going to go one way too........DOWN!! And the more expensive they are, the bigger the drop!

What Brock mentioned is true. Fulltiming is NOT cheap and quite often you can easily live for less in bricks 'n mortar, not to mention make a healthy profit at the end.

If you want something to pootle around in at weekends, why not buy an old winterised Hymer which you can indulge part time 'fulltime' plus get a decent resale on it when you decide to let it go?

Some friends of mine who fulltime have been given a quote of £625 per month to base their van and, dare i say it, that includes a CC "discount"!

Cheers Bulletguy.

Don't get me wrong, I know a flat will appreciate and the motohome won't! But I'm prepared to take a small hit of £5k-ish for a year or even 6 months. Just seems like the right time to change the scenery a bit.

If I decide in 12 months that buying a flat/house is the way to go, I'll sell the motorhome, recoup most and add to the deposit.

Sounds simple in my mind. In any case the £££ are not so tight but I'm still assuming I may be better off per month (if I ignore the appreciation/depreciation aspect of it).

Oh and re: the price of a site per month. I was looking as CC (I will join) and the price list of the site Im considering (open all year and Wifi and close to work/shops/pubs etc) says:

Adult: £6.40 Child (5-17):£0.01 Pitch: £6.70

So I'm assuming that's £13.10 per night for me an van, £406 per month for a 31 day month (assuming no bank holidays). Plus some days I will elsewhere (maybe even wilding or parking at parents). Maybe even a trip to Europe.

I can handle those costs. With electric hook ups do you pay extra for your usage on site or is it included in the fee?

Thanks.

Guest Peter James
Johnrob - 2015-09-17 8:16 AM

I have budgeted about £50k to spend on the unit.. Would like to not lose more than £5k depreciation in 1 year. Is that possible?

Its possible if you buy privately but thats likely to be difficult and risky.

If you buy from an established dealer (easiest and safest) I would expect their mark up to be about £5k so you lose that as soon as you drive it away :-S

There is a guy who has done what you are planning, and wrote an interesting blog and diary. Takes hours to read it all but I think you would find it time well spent. Here is the weblink: http://www.livinginamotorhome.co.uk/

Guest Peter James
Johnrob - 2015-09-17 2:16 PM

Is this good (and more importantly, a good price)?

2008 HYMER B698 CL 3.0 JTD 160PS Diesel in Newark

http://www.brownhills.co.uk/21516-fiat-hymer-b698-cl-3-0-jtd-160ps.html#prettyPhoto

Looks Great to me. B-)

As I recall, the guy in the link I recommended paid about £6k for his. But he was lucky - most of those we hear from who have bought in that price range seem to have bought a scrapper :-( So its not realistic to expect to get as lucky as he was. I'd far rather go to Brownhills and buy that than try and find one for £6k .

Peter James - 2015-09-17 5:37 PM

There is a guy who has done what you are planning, and wrote an interesting blog and diary. Takes hours to read it all but I think you would find it time well spent. Here is the weblink: http://www.livinginamotorhome.co.uk/

Crikey.....talk about "in at the deep end"!

Old van off fleabay, ok with mechanics but knows absolutely nothing about mh's or caravans, and buys in the depth of winter! At least he'd have got it at out of season price!

Not sure what to make of that guy. Ominously his blog ends at 2013!! :D

Guest pelmetman
Johnrob - 2015-09-17 5:23 PM

Cheers Bulletguy.

Don't get me wrong, I know a flat will appreciate and the motohome won't! But I'm prepared to take a small hit of £5k-ish for a year or even 6 months. Just seems like the right time to change the scenery a bit.

If I decide in 12 months that buying a flat/house is the way to go, I'll sell the motorhome, recoup most and add to the deposit.

Sounds simple in my mind. In any case the £££ are not so tight but I'm still assuming I may be better off per month (if I ignore the appreciation/depreciation aspect of it).

Buying new you'll take a 5k hit leaving the showroom 8-) .........

You've more chance of getting your money back or even making a profit if you buy a 15/20 year old camper ...........Do your homework and buy a damp meter ;-) ............

Johnrob - 2015-09-17 2:12 PM

Thanks Rayjsj . I did a quick search for Alpa's don't think there are any used RHD in UK at the moment.

Did you suggest Dethleffs as a brand because of quality and price vs the competition (i.e. Hymer, Burstner, Knaus) or was it just the Alpa that is good from Dethleffs?

Mainly because of the quality of finish, and the fact that it is fully winterized, also I have 2 friends who have lived in their 'Alpa' for the last 2 years. The interior is still pristine, They go Skiing every year, So, this is one vehicle I can recommend with experience. Electric hook up, 16amp, is included in CC site fees. It is unmetered.

Guest Peter James
Johnrob - 2015-09-17 10:19 PM

I seem to remember reading some bad things about brownhills. Maybe was ancient news and their rep is much better now?

Motorhomes are highly complex and easily damaged. I doubt if there are any motorhome dealers we haven't read bad things about. I guess if 4 percent of customers are dissatisfied there will be more complains about the bigger dealers because they have more customers. Rather like Tesco gets all the flack for the horsemeat scandal when actually the highest concentration found was in Aldi lasagne.

All I can say is all the complaints I have read about Brownhills are from several years ago when they had more branches. All the recent things I have heard about Brownhills have been good.

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2015-09-17 7:39 PM

You've more chance of getting your money back or even making a profit if you buy a 15/20 year old camper ...........Do your homework and buy a damp meter ;-) ............

You've never bought a 20 year old camper though have you?

You got a new one and looked after it for 20 years which is much easier :-D

A damp meter may be of little use to an expert, never mind a novice.

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2015-09-18 7:54 AM

pelmetman - 2015-09-17 7:39 PM

You've never bought a 20 year old camper though have you?

You got a new one and looked after it for 20 years which is much easier :-D

A damp meter may be of little use to an expert, never mind a novice.

Are you saying I'm the only one who has looked after their camper Peter? 8-) ..........

BTW the OP might find this website useful ;-) ............

www.motorhome365.co.uk

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2015-09-18 9:59 AM

Are you saying I'm the only one who has looked after their camper Peter? 8-) ..........

No, I am suggesting that old campers which have been looked after as well as yours are rarely to be found for sale. When they are, I wouldn't rely on a damp meter to find them. You are likely to end up with one like this: http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Coachbuilt-Motorhome-Costruction/37800/ - which is bad enough when you are living in a house and wanting it for holidays, not wintering in it full time with a full time job :-(

Archived