Advice needed - wintering in UK

Johnrob

Peter James - 2015-09-18 10:17 AM

pelmetman - 2015-09-18 9:59 AM

Are you saying I'm the only one who has looked after their camper Peter? 8-) ..........

No, I am suggesting that old campers which have been looked after as well as yours are rarely to be found for sale.

I agree with you on that Peter. They are difficult to find but they are out there. It means spending weeks, days and hours of continual searching though. Thank God for the internet eh? ;-)

When i was searching for a Duetto i already knew their reputation for rusting in particular spots, knew the repair costs involved etc etc. I traveled the country looking for 'the right one'. Eventually i found it. Absolutely zero 'extras' but in mint condition with no rusting anywhere, and yes, the wheel arches are original! Even the Garage i use for MOT were astonished and in their words, "the best condition Mk5 Transit we've ever seen".

The interior was spotless throughout. The van had barely been used and the chap i bought it from had bought on impulse 'fancying a spot of touring'.....but never used it as they had a villa in Spain where they spent more time.

Some vans simply don't get used by their owners and spend a major part of their life standing in a drive.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2015-09-18 4:29 PM

Peter James - 2015-09-18 10:17 AM

pelmetman - 2015-09-18 9:59 AM

Are you saying I'm the only one who has looked after their camper Peter? 8-) ..........

No, I am suggesting that old campers which have been looked after as well as yours are rarely to be found for sale.

I agree with you on that Peter. They are difficult to find but they are out there. It means spending weeks, days and hours of continual searching though. Thank God for the internet eh? ;-)

When i was searching for a Duetto i already knew their reputation for rusting in particular spots, knew the repair costs involved etc etc. I traveled the country looking for 'the right one'. Eventually i found it. Absolutely zero 'extras' but in mint condition with no rusting anywhere, and yes, the wheel arches are original! Even the Garage i use for MOT were astonished and in their words, "the best condition Mk5 Transit we've ever seen".

The interior was spotless throughout. The van had barely been used and the chap i bought it from had bought on impulse 'fancying a spot of touring'.....but never used it as they had a villa in Spain where they spent more time.

Some vans simply don't get used by their owners and spend a major part of their life standing in a drive.

Which was kinda my point, as I understood from the OP that he is concerned about his nest egg depreciating? :-S ...........So buying a older van that is no longer depreciating makes a lot of sense to me ;-) ..........

Would you say your van is still depreciating BG?...........I suspect not :-> .........

pelmetman - 2015-09-18 6:31 PM

Which was kinda my point, as I understood from the OP that he is concerned about his nest egg depreciating? :-S ...........So buying a older van that is no longer depreciating makes a lot of sense to me ;-) ..........

Would you say your van is still depreciating BG?...........I suspect not :-> .........

No it's not and if anything it's appreciated in value as when i purchased it, it had no extras. I've added privacy glass, 3mtr awning, bike rack, back box, and Thatcham cat1 alarm. A friend recently sold his Duetto to a Dealer for the same figure as i paid for mine almost five years ago........and his van was three years older than mine!

Small PVC's such as the Duetto are highly sought after and i often get folk asking me if i'm interested in selling mine.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2015-09-18 7:08 PM

pelmetman - 2015-09-18 6:31 PM

No it's not and if anything it's appreciated in value as when i purchased it, it had no extras. I've added privacy glass, 3mtr awning, bike rack, back box, and Thatcham cat1 alarm. A friend recently sold his Duetto to a Dealer for the same figure as i paid for mine almost five years ago........and his van was three years older than mine!

Small PVC's such as the Duetto are highly sought after and i often get folk asking me if i'm interested in selling mine.

I rest my case M'lud :D ..........

Sunlight are the twin sister to Hymer's budget brand Corado, build in the same factory near Dresden.

They are fully witerised but not to the same extent a a double floor van but better than anthing the UK has to offer. They are way below your budget at 25-30k new, unless you pay stupid UK infated prices.

For full timing you would be much better off with an A Class van much more spacious and better insulated around the front end.

Except for that bloomin great A class windscreen and the cab side windows that are immediately below your overcab bed, a bed that has no headboard just a thin sheet, and needs a ladder to access.

Might be OK for a holiday but would not appeal to me for a long term enjoyment even if the bed is supremely comfortable and snug once in and settled and I would be inclined to go for a fixed rear bed with a huge underfloor storage.

Most of these are not very large for two but probably great for one person, but beware that this layout often has a front dinette or halt dinette that makes for pretty uncomfortable lounging?

All vans are all a compromise and it is just a case of finding the compromises that you cannot live with pefore you part with your cash.

Personally I doubt you would get away with a £5k loss buying any new van, more like twice that, and even a used van from a dealer and sold back to a dealer might well lose you a similar amount and almost certainly more than £5k, unless you can find a dealer who will offer you a guaranteed buyback price subject to wear and tear?

Johnrob...

As it'll be for "living in" whilst you're still working, rather than for extended holiday-touring,is there any reason why you haven't opted for a caravan?..

It'd probably give you more living space for your money......

(and if looking at staying put on a site for long periods anyway, then you may as well use a caravan..?)

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2015-09-18 7:25 PM

Small PVC's such as the Duetto are highly sought after and i often get folk asking me if i'm interested in selling mine...........

Small PVCs don't have the structural damp problems of a coachbuilt, but would you want to fulltime in one?

I have motorhomed in my A-class during winter in the UK down to -10c and been toasty warm although running the heater on gas is very expensive if you use standard calor bottles. A Hymer is thermally efficient because Hymer design it to reduce cold bridges.

Drop down beds are a compromise but you do get a brilliant mattress designed for sleeping on and, providing you check the weight limits, should comfortably hold two adults. Given a choice, I would prefer a downstairs fixed bed but I have slept in drop down beds for the last 17 years of motorhoming.

If I was going to motorhome in the winter, I would buy a double floor Hymer model with either a fixed bed or drop down bed. I've looked at many alternatives over the last 10 years and never found anything better for winters in the UK unless looking at liners - the big motorhomes!

External thermal screens for the windscreen and side windows will be a must. They are easier to find for the pre facelifted Hymers with the the rounded front end.

Peter James - 2015-09-19 9:34 AM

pelmetman - 2015-09-18 7:25 PM

Small PVC's such as the Duetto are highly sought after and i often get folk asking me if i'm interested in selling mine...........

Small PVCs don't have the structural damp problems of a coachbuilt, but would you want to fulltime in one?

The OP is concerned over the amount of depreciation he's likely to be hit with though and doesn't want to lose more than £5k a year. As Tracker mentioned in his post that's unlikely to be achieved, particularly on large expensive vans where the resale value drops like a stone.

If wanting to buy 'large' and not lose much in depreciation then your only option is to buy an older m/h, but pepe raises an interesting point in that the OP would probably be better suited in opting for a caravan.

Peter James - 2015-09-19 4:31 PM

Like Dave I prefer to buy new and keep for many years. Then you don't care how much book value it loses in the first year.

BIB is key and logic to the likes of you and i.......but just how many actually do keep for many years and use them? Extremely few!!

I'm actually the eight owner of my van....and the only one whose put any mileage on the damn thing! One previous owner had seen the van for sale in a magazine, phoned the seller, took a train from way down south all the way up to Sheffield where they bought the van and drove it back home. Just FOUR DAYS later they part exchanged it to a local Dealer for a car!! *-)

A chap i used to work with bought a brand new car every 12 months. Never used for anything other than to and from work....about 15 miles a day. And he always bought diesel engined cars! *-)

Bonkers!!

We bought our 4 year old Executive in April this year with just 3000 warranted miles on the clock - it now shows almost 9000 miles - not bad in 6 months!

I know that the first owner paid around £56k for it new and traded it in for a little over £30k - a £26k loss in four years - gulp - not for me thanks - as it still drives and feels like a new van why buy new?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2015-09-19 4:59 PM

I know that the first owner paid around £56k for it new and traded it in for a little over £30k - a £26k loss in four years - gulp - not for me thanks - as it still drives and feels like a new van why buy new?

So that's only £500 a month depreciation.......if he bought it cash ;-) ............

pelmetman - 2015-09-19 5:06 PM

So that's only £500 a month depreciation.......if he bought it cash ;-) ............

I never thought of that Dave - only £500 a month sounds a lot more palatable - cheap accommodation if you lived in it for four years!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2015-09-19 5:09 PM

pelmetman - 2015-09-19 5:06 PM

I never thought of that Dave - only £500 a month sounds a lot more palatable - cheap accommodation if you lived in it for four years!

Depends if he had it on HP ;-) ...........Then he'd have the rent on top :D .................

Depreciation is only an issue if you sell and do not replace. The big killer is the cost of replacing which is depreciation plus the increasing cost of a new van, whether new or second hand. Of course, there are other costs including time to keep the van on the road and interest paid or not recieved.

Set against this is the value of having a motorhome. Credit the OP for recognising the value of living his dream whilst he has the chance. For most of us, that value in excess of the cost of motorhoming. For me, the value is sufficient to buy new but not enough for me to buy the one I can afford! It is not easy putting a value on improved well being from motorhoming, the value of having a vehicle suitable for modern roads that embraces safety for occupants, and most of all, the cameraderie of forum members. But I do; well perhaps not the last one.

Buying a caravan would be a logical solution to the OP's needs but it would not be the emotional solution. I reckon most would of us would take the emotional solution!

We bought our 4 year old Executive in April this year with just 3000 warranted miles on the clock - it now shows almost 9000 miles - not bad in 6 months!

So your previous owner shelled out £56k for a vehicle which traveled just 2 miles a day over the four years of ownership.......then took a £26k hit!!

£26k over four years is £6.5k per year.......and that would more than cover some very exotic holidays with plenty of pocket money left over!

It's a complete no brainer!

But how does one value ... enjoyment or .. satisfaction or ... just doing what they like to do and spend their cash.

Its certainly no enjoyment to keep on about a 'value'. If it annoys that much then don't get involved at all and choose another pastime. They all cost money.

It does not concern me at all if I win or loose. I just get on with life and enjoy what it has to offer.

Bulletguy - 2015-09-19 6:40 PM

So your previous owner shelled out £56k for a vehicle which traveled just 2 miles a day over the four years of ownership.......then took a £26k hit!!

£26k over four years is £6.5k per year.......and that would more than cover some very exotic holidays with plenty of pocket money left over!

It's a complete no brainer!

It's only money and you can't take it with you, so maybe better to spend it while you can rather than have some creep from the local authority grab it to go towards your care when you are too old and unwell to be able to fight the money grabbing bar stewards. Isn't it enough that I have paid every sort of tax devised, and continue to pay all sorts of taxes and 'contributions' for over 54 yeas - and counting?

Plenty of people lose a lot more than that on cars, motorhomes, boats or spend lot more than that on holidays, entertainment, fags and booze, or simply waste it!

It's not about cost - it's about your own perceptions of value for money and spending your own (or the bank's) money or the kid's inheritance on whatever gives you pleasure or that which you enjoy doing, owning or using.

It's all relative and whilst I could have bought another posh new van if I wished I fhave found that I get just as much pleasure from owning and using a good secondhand van as I did from the one new one I did once buy - as long as the layout suits our style - and this one does - admirably - fortunately!

To those who do like a new van - I understand the reasons and may you all live long and prosper enough to carry on doing so - if only to keep me in nice used vans!

Tracker - 2015-09-19 8:10 PM

It's only money and you can't take it with you, so maybe better to spend it while you can rather than have some creep from the local authority grab it to go towards your care when you are too old and unwell to be able to fight the money grabbing bar stewards.

Local authorities do as they are told......by Government.

AFAIK if you have more than £23k in capital which includes the value of your property. and have to go into residential care or a nursing home, then you are basically stuffed.

Funny enough I passed a caravan dealer on Saturday (who I thought sold motorhomes but didn't) but decided to look over their caravan stock. I was very surprised by the prices and space in them especially the lounges and bathrooms.

I may have to research that option a little more but the romantic notion of just driving around in my home has always appealed. Caravans just seem....different and maybe not for me.

I'm quite worried that my original notion of buy old and steer clear of depreciation is getting severely tested by all the new or newish vans I've looked at recently. My list of 'I think I need that' keeps going up and therefore the spec required does and so does price. Ah well I've always been an impulse top of the range type of person. We shall see.

Ps re the above my current faves are either a Carthago c-tourer semi-int or an Adria matrix. Went to see the hymer I linked to earlier in thread but didn't get a good feel inside.

Johnrob - 2015-09-21 8:00 AM

Funny enough I passed a caravan dealer on Saturday (who I thought sold motorhomes but didn't) but decided to look over their caravan stock. I was very surprised by the prices and space in them especially the lounges and bathrooms.

I may have to research that option a little more but the romantic notion of just driving around in my home has always appealed. Caravans just seem....different and maybe not for me.

Hi Johnrob

I don't think many on here would disagree that the idea of a "motorhome" can conjure up "romantic notions"..with rose-tinted images of the freedoms of the open road? (..and of maybe bucking convention?..and of "opting out" a little? etc)..

But you said that you need something to live in(to be your home), whilst still travelling to work(each day?).

Will you have other means of transport?...Having to pack a few things away before driving off site, may seem all part of the "fun" when on "holiday"...but would soon become a pain in the backside when going to/from work morning and night.....

Also what happens, when your "home" needs a service or a new clutch or breaks-down and ends up being off the road(off the site!) for a few days?....

I suppose the above are not insurmountable, as others seem to do it.....

Although I would also hazard a guess that these "inconveniences" would be worth tolerating, if someone is happily long-terming, trundling around the scenic regions of the Continent...as opposed to being pitched on a UK site during winter,and going to work every day... :-S

(.. if you do go the MH route, as others have said, maybe look at used...5(ish) years old?)

Edit: just noticed that you do also have a car, so you can ignore most of what I have just posted. :$ (lol)

Archived