Going crazy! What SIM card network to use in Europe??

Kentish lady

Hello

I am going crazy with information overload!!

We are of to Europe in a few weeks time, for our first trip to spend a few months touring round. hopefully a warmer climate!! For the winter.

I want to buy a sim just to make calls and send txt. We will be taking our iPad, so hopefully will hook up to free wifi to make FaceTime calls.

I have just bought a iPhone 4s, as my family said we need to upgrade from our old faithful Nokia, that we use just to send texts and receive calls. Will be taking this with us incase we need to buy a sim from a shop on our travels.

I have looked at the the 3 network sim " fell at home deal" but what I have read I don't think this is for us. I have also looked at globalgig.

Is pay as go the best way, or a rolling contract!!

I would be so grateful for any advise.

Many thanks.

Michele

Hi, We were away in France & Spain this summer for four months and used the 3 feel at home phoning home every day among other calls. Never cost us a penny extra. We'll worth it. I intend getting one of the Mifi units for next year to have access to the net anywhere.

Kentish lady - 2015-09-19 3:16 AM

I want to buy a sim just to make calls and send txt.

3 might be your best bet, but you don't say which countries you intend to visit, you need to ensure the 'feel at home' applies to those

I have just bought a iPhone 4s, as my family said we need to upgrade from our old faithful Nokia, that we use just to send texts and receive calls.

I hope you will be using your new iPhone for more than calls and texts else it's a waste of money, best also to make sure you have a in car charger to suit the USB lead (I use my tomtom charger)as they go flat in no time, and make sure the lead is in good condition and treat it with extreme care, as apple usb lead is very fragile and is expensive to replace.

As has been said it depends to some extent where you are travelling to. Three,s Feel at home doesnt eg cover Germany.

If you are predominately in one country call in at a local supermarket and pick up a local sim.

Or I would recommend Toggle

www.toggle.co.uk

Unless you go to southern Spain or Morocco, the winters in Europe are every bit as cold, if not colder than ours (probably a bit dryer though) the Atlantic ocean means we get cool summers and mild wet winters. 3 works well in Spain but I'm about to enter my 4th month here and 'feel at home' is for a maximum of 3 months per year.. so watch this space lol

After trying a few options I now use toggle mobile for phone and text...cheap and pay as you go, so one top up can last a long time if like me you're not a great chatterer (that's the Missus' department).

We have a Huawei mifi for data and the 3 sim in this works well for us...we are mainly In France and Spain over the winter. No good for Germany at the moment.

Archived