Gumtree Puzzle

Stevepfc

Hi;

I am in the process of trying to buy a Motorhome and have been looking on Gumtree.

However, there a regular occurrence which is puzzling me and I wondered if anyone could shed any light.

Every time a really cheap Motorhome comes online, the second picture is nearly always advice that the seller is selling on behalf of a friend/family member and a mobile number is added. It’s almost an identical notice every time. This is despite the distance; one yesterday in Liverpool and one today in Newcastle!

Any ideas anyone, I was just concerned it was a scam?

Scam and there are too many of them. Often you can see the same van on a dealer's website at a much higher price. The scammer simply lifts photos and details from the genuine site. S/he wants you to hand over at least a deposit without seeing the van. They will give you all the info you want but will always have a plausible excuse for you being unable to view the van. They may reduce the amount of deposit requested if it keeps you on the hook.

As mentioned the ads you are viewing are clearly scams. However similar to ebay they make up a very tiny percent and it's a case of using some common sense when buying. My son bought his car off a Gumtree advert. The seller was 100% genuine, the car came with full service history and nine years on he still has the car.....which currently has 180k on the clock most of which he's put on!

Archived