Burstner Motorhomes

Keith T

Looking at the new 2007 Fiat Based Burstners....any one with any expiernce of older modles by this manufacturer. They seem well made and with some options, good value, any comments how they compare with Rapido. Finding it hard to get a sub 6m 'van with rear lounge and no fixed bed!

Yes, thats the downside of most of the current vehicles - my Rapido 710F is only approx 18.6 long and about 7' wide so goes anywhere and is easy for parking. What useed to be 'compact' no longer is, and indeed most of the reveiewers seem to think the 22' is still compact - my take on the term is max about 18'.....what do others think?

Hi, don't know if this any help I saw a "Rambler" low profile coachbuilt, with rear U lounge, last weekend at Waudby's (South Cave, nr Hull) on the new Peugoet equivelent chassis, which appears to be less than 6m. I have not seen it listed anywhere so have not been able to check dimensions, it may be a dealer special model. Looked very similar to the new Compass Avantgarde low profile. Didn't get to see inside, so I don't know what build quality is like. I think the Motorhome sales are operated by Wandahome. Flicka

[QUOTE]flicka - 2006-11-03 11:52 PM Hi, don't know if this any help I saw a "Rambler" low profile coachbuilt, with rear U lounge, last weekend at Waudby's (South Cave, nr Hull) on the new Peugoet equivelent chassis, which appears to be less than 6m. I have not seen it listed anywhere so have not been able to check dimensions, it may be a dealer special model. Looked very similar to the new Compass Avantgarde low profile. Didn't get to see inside, so I don't know what build quality is like. I think the Motorhome sales are operated by Wandahome. Flicka[/QUOTE] Hi Flicka, The Rambler is built solely for Wandahome by Compass, I've looked at them a couple of times. They start at under £28.000 which is not a bad price for a new coachbuilt. We live in the village and store our van at Waudbys storage area. Waudbys stopped selling caravans some time ago when they sold out to Wandahome. The still have an well stocked, very competitive accessories shop on the site. Don

I've also noticed the change in sizes available these days. Not so long ago over 6m were few and far between. Now it seems that most manufacturers produce 1 model of 6m or under with little to no choice of layout. Personally 6m or so is just right for us but to try and find anything close to a resonable layout is hard work. Having done a bit of research I suggest that you might like to take a look at Dethleffs - Globebus, Globevan and Fortero. Base vehicles Fiat & Ford. There are various layouts available in these ranges, all under 6m. Cheers

Quote ""Finding it hard to get a sub 6m 'van with rear lounge and no fixed bed"" I thought we were alone in disliking this later day fad, I just cannot see the point of fixed beds it does away with all the advantages of a rear 'U' shape lounge for little or no advantage IMO. At least with a 'U' shape lounge you can choose to leave the bed down if you wish, or else have more room to lounge. Also most of the fixed beds have a lump cut off at an angle at the bottom, what a pain in the proverbial. We did see a couple in the size you are asking for at Peterboro this year, can't remember off hand what they were but I think one was a Gueist and another was a British make, but we were looking for a larger size so didn't note down what they were Bas

Going back to the oriuginal question, Burstner have a reputation as being well put together. They are, of course, wholly owned by Hymer Group and use the same industrialised construction techniques and the same kit of parts (windows, ovens, hobs, loos, heaters, etc., etc.) as everyone else. Unless the quality control is very poor, there soes not seem to be a lot of difference between vehicles these days. Other forum members can contribute their favourite examples of porr QC, but I'm afraid some of the UK's converters are not leaders in this respect.

I dont know wether this is off or on topic but we have a van that is 5.66 metres in length. Originally we set out for a rear lounge and a fixed bed but could't do it in less than 6 metres so we had to compromise. We were adamant that we were not going to make up beds so the "U" sahape rear lounge was binned. We bought a Dethleffs A54 Eurostlyle ( A Lowdhams special). We have a UK king size overcab bed with good head room that is easily accesible(we are both in our 60's) a single setee and a dinette with 4 seat belts (so we can take the grandkids now and then) Once on site we convert this easily into an "L" shaped lounging area which is very comfortable. We did buy an Argos mattress topper to take some of the hardness off the german matress. We have had the van since 1st July of this year and have done 2.500 miles with 5 weeks away in it and the only problem we have had was a gas leak on the cooker which Lowdhams fixed next day whilst we waited. We have no regrets and feel comfortable taking the van anywhere regards Geoff

Thanks Dave. Yes we'll have a look at this, although from the pics in one of the maags it's not a hugely attrcive design externally. I don't think they've matched the body to the sleek new Fiat front! Also have some boubts about the type of construction. Still, we'll give it a good lookover at Excel...!

Another that might be woth considering is the Dethleffs Globebus, there are 3 models, one of which has a U rear lounge. It is also narrower than most Coachbuilts, more the size of a panel van. MMM shows dimensions as 19' or 19'8" long depending on model x 6'11" w x 8'10" H I think Dethleffs are also part of the Hymer Group, but not certain. Again build quality looks good, but maybe owners can enlighten in this aspect Flicka

Archived