Suggestions for new tyres?

ZPD

Hi, new user here (and a new forum user in general)

Just posting to help out my parents as they aren't as technically savvy to peruse forums and to understand them (no matter my countless tries) :')

Basically we're going for a family trip to Switzerland in the next 2 months to see some family and will be taking our motorhome, but the tyres we have right now haven't seen the light of day for some time and probably aren't suited for the journey.

Just wondering if anyone at all would know of any decent tyre sites online that don't charge over the top prices but still do some decent tyres :)

Thanks and once again hi :D

Hi, I live over in France, but use Centralpnues, or to you centraltyres, and I have been using Nexen cp321, a very good comercial tyre, for the last 6 years with very good results, but we do use our van all year round, so it doesn't sit around for too long. My personal view of camping tyres is they are over priced for what they are, and many people never get to wear them out before they have to change them due to age related problems. By the way, we have quite a large coachbuilt not a small panel van.

ZPD - 2015-09-25 11:36 AM..........................Basically we're going for a family trip to Switzerland in the next 2 months to see some family and will be taking our motorhome, but the tyres we have right now haven't seen the light of day for some time and probably aren't suited for the journey.................................

The above places your trip well into November, possibly early December. Have you checked what regulations are in force for tyres in winter in the countries you will visit and pass through? If not, I suggest you do so before buying anything. You may find the Swiss require winter tyres (marked with a snowflake symbol) on at least some roads, possibly all, I think at specified times of year: for example between November and March. There is a further wrinkle regarding Germany, which I'll come to in a bit.

There are no "Camping" tyres produced that are classed as winter tyres. You would have to buy a light commercial vehicle winter tyre, which will be fine - providing you carefully match size, profile ratio, speed, and load ratings to those for your van. The downside is that they will be prone to higher wear rates in summer, due to their softer tread material. If your parents do not do large mileages in their van this should not prove a problem: most motorhome tyres die of old age long before they wear out!

Be aware that Camping tyres, and winter tyres, are batch produced, and may already be in short supply. You may find it is more a case of having to accept what can be obtained, than getting exactly what you want. Also, be aware that some fitting companies are very reluctant to fit tyres they have not supplied. I know ATS local to us will not do this - the local manager explained that it is company policy. (ATS are owned by Michelin, who make the Agilis Camping tyre, so should be a good source for those tyres - if suitable for Switzerland.)

Now Germany. The Germans (and apparently Luxembourg, though the actual state of the Luxembourg legislations presently seems in some doubt) have introduced legislation that requires the driver to have tyres appropriate to prevailing weather conditions. AFAIK, there are no specified dates, though roughly October to March has been suggested. Broadly, if a vehicle causes a traffic hold-up for lack of traction in snowy or icy conditions, or is involved in an accident where lack of adhesion is held to be contributory (I'm paraphrasing what I have read, and have not read the actual legislation in translation) the owner is liable to a fine. The only Camping tyre that meets the German requirement is the Michelin Agilis Camping tyre, because it is marked M+S, which seems to be the minimum requirement under the German legislation. However, it is not a winter tyre, and as such is not snowflake marked, so may not satisfy the Swiss (It's never easy, is it? :-)).

So, at the time of year you propose visiting, I would suggest you make urgent enquiries of the Swiss - and depending on route German - authorities to check their requirements. Their respective UK tourist offices should be able to give authoritative replies.

You will need (I think legally), and know how to fit, chains for the driven wheels. If your parents' van is Ford Transit based, also check the requirement for fitting winter tyres/chains (the handbook will clarify) as at least the Mk 7 Transit must have narrower than standard section tyres fitted when chains are used, or the chains will mangle the inner front wings.

If intending to sleep in the van, are they aware that UK gas cylinders cannot be exchanged outside the UK, and they will be liable to consume large quantities of gas heating the van at that time of year, especially if at altitude? They should be able to source German cylinders, but the connection to the cylinder is not as the UK connection, so new "pigtails" will be required if taking this route. Otherwise, I would suggest getting at least one refillable cylinder fitted. Running out of gas at Alpine night-time temperatures is no joke: hypothermia looms! If using exchange cylinders propane will be essential, as butane will remain liquid and not "gas" at low temperatures.

Water. Does the van have in-board fresh, and waste, water tanks, with all pipework routed internally? If not, you will be liable to problems with the water system freezing, underslung tanks being especially vulnerable. The hot water storage vessel (possibly the main heater if made by Truma) may be equipped with a valve that will automatically open to dump its contents at temperatures below 5C (or thereabouts. Handbook again!). :-) This is to prevent the contents freezing and possibly splitting the heater jacket, which is very expensive to remedy. The only safe remedies are not to fill the hot water system, which may not be reliably possible without modification, or to leave the water heating on 24/7, which will further increase gas consumption.

Sorry if the above is already well known and under control, but I thought it worth mentioning - just in case!

Thanks for the responses

I told my parents all of the above and my dad knew a few things but you opened his mind to fresh knowledge as we speak he's trying to get ahold of the authorities to try and see what their requirements are. We also took in your advice for gas cylinders and I think my dad is just going to think about getting a spare cylinder fitted for the journey. Everything else he has took on board as well so thank you Brian :-D

Our swiss family suggested this site: http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

Archived