EHU - Simple (?) question from newbie

Fellbound

This 2008 MotorHomeFacts discussion may be of interest

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/182-electrical/35350-battery-master-v-cbe-csb-2-a.html

Cluve Mott-Gotobed’s ‘bridging fuse’ ploy is referred to there

http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/BRIDGING%20FUSE.htm

This temporarily parallel-connects the motorhome’s starter and leisure batteries and should be the simplest and cheapest way to charge a starter battery using a motorhome’s onboard battery-charger if the vehicle originally lacks that capability. However, as the main challenge in linking the batteries will be installing the cabling, and CBE’s CSB-2 device is inexpensive, more fail-safe and should be no harder to install

http://www.cbe.it/sites/default/files/CSB2.pdf

that’s likely to be the better bet.

The Van Bitz “Battery Master” can pass charge from the leisure battery to the starter battery even when the motorhome is not EHU-connected, but that capability may not be relevant where Fellbound is concerned.

I note that 'dual-battery solar regulators’ are advertised on ebay for under £25. I’m unfamiliar with solar, so I’m unaware of what’s involved in fitting one of these or how well it would meet Fellbound’s straightforward requirement. However, anyone with basic DIY skills ought to have little difficulty fitting a CSB-2 device and - if I were in Fellbound’s shoes - that’s what I’d do.

We strongly suggest you do not use this method of wiring them together unless you understand fully what you are doing : know the batteries you are linking, the age, size and charge state.

Many people know what will happen if you connect together a fully charged battery with a dead battery then charge them both.

Likewise most people understand you should not pair an old battery with a new one or a 200Ah battery with a 88Ah battery.

Yet this is exactly what this crude method does. It can work if you understand the physics and you put in a lot of manual effort but for the average user it is full of problems and battery destruction.

Especially if you use it over a long period like in storage over winter or with Solar.

Logic tells me that the best Motorhome builders have controlled, automated systems in place for very good reasons.

Whoever the guy is, it is not sound advice.

Is it because I have no Brains, my head being full of Concrete?

Talking of concrete, have you read about the Yuasa Elite Grid technology?

Also Yuasa have issued a bulletin to say that their conventional Calcium/Calcium 'wet' battery range are now tolerant of 14.8v charging (standardisation with an 'AGM Alternator'?).

They apparently now match the Ford Silver Calcium batteries. So I guess this might become the new 'norm' for all?

If it is more than just a tolerance, it will actually accept that without degradation, it could mean faster Motorhome battery charging for the future, couldn't it?.

There seems to be an increasing gap between the budget batteries and the big name batteries in capability, as the large players seem to be spending lots on R&D?

The 'wet' battery capability seems to be going up at a fair old rate, but the prices coming down?.

Archived