Repatriation

Len Salisbury

nowtelse2do - 2015-09-29 4:41 PM

terry1956 - 2015-09-29 3:15 PM

.... as to the cost of hospital fees, this will be taken care of by the NHS.

If the OP is claiming the costs through his Travel Insurance, the NHS will not cover any of the costs. You can't claim twice.

There is usually an excess to pay on the Travel insurance of about £100.

With the NHS you would get around 90% of the cost and maybe more, but that's not written in stone.

How the vehicle would be repatriated if the claim went through the NHS I've no idea unless you could claim on your breakdown cover. Only problem with that is the vehicle is not broken down, so that might cause an issue.

Don't forget to keep all receipts and all hospital notes about what they did. The insurance will want to see those.

Dave

This is simply not correct. I broke my left femur skiing in France and had mountain rescue, two helicopter rides, hospital and treatment, flight home, private ambulance in UK, private ambulance to airport in France. At that time I had holiday insurance a separate ski insurance, Carte Neige, and EHIC. When my leg was fixed the hospital administrator paid a visit and ask if I had insurance, I offered all three and they grabbed the EHIC card. The ski insurance paid for helicopters and French ambulance and my holiday insurance for the rest. The original poster did the correct thing, let the insurance sort it out, which they will. I informed everyone and they sorted it out between them. I paid out no money at all so nothing to claim back, it all worked very well indeed.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curtisden - 2015-09-30 5:15 PM

Bulletguy - 2015-09-30 4:43 PM

peterjl - 2015-09-30 2:41 PM

We change companies regularly cos they all have different levels of cover for different risks. The most usual reason to change is destination eg this year visited Iceland and Faroes and there is a limited number of companies covering both countries and providing breakdown insurance. We have changed in the past to visit Turkey and will change again next year cos we have decided to revisit Turkey.

This is true. Motorhome insurance companies in this country are very poor when it comes to cover for non-EU countries (with the exception of Switzerland). I went with Scenic purely because they openly gave me Green Card cover for Albania, Serbia and Bosnia where i was met with a point blank refusal from other companies. By comparison you will find Dutch touring every country in Europe and beyond with ease. UK m/h insurance is quite restrictive.

Red Pennant Geographical Cover.

The Continent of Europe, including the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland and Mediterranean Islands but excluding Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Moldova.

PLEASE NOTE Red Pennant Motoring & Personal Cover is only applicable to journeys to the Continent of Europe and that start and finish from a United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland home address.

I wonder if that includes Istanbul being in Europe while the rest is in Asia?

Scenic will cover for Ukraine. I had it for this year though unfortunately never got that far as my fuel pump went bang and the breakdown insisted on repatriation back to UK.

I'm looking at ADAC as a possible for next year if Scenic will quote without breakdown. The problem i found is British based breakdown insurance doesn't always work too well in Europe. Not always the case though as i once had an excellent result with a company called Europ Assist (yes there is no 'e'!). The policy cost me £49 and i got more than that back on the breakdown! :-D

This is the latest sit rep on the thread. Helen and myself are flying from Brussels to Manchester tomorrow at 1655 hrs being picked up at 1400 hrs from Lier Hospital and taken to airport and from Manchester home to Wales.

This morning I woke up thinking how I was going to plan the recovery of MH so rang NatWest and was informed that it would have to be Churchill Breakdown. When I rang them I was asked when did the fault occur. I explained the situation in detail and Green Flag have contacted me once Churchill had received hospital details of the fracture. They are going to phone tonight for further details where van is located. I have informed DFDS .

The only gripe I have was not being informed of what was happening and being continually asked where I was located by NatWest team having given them the Case Number. So home tomorrow night.

I must also say a big Thank You to my sidecar friend's family from Belgium for the support that they have given to me by staying at their house and being fed and watered and taken to hosopital for visits UNBELIEVEABLE!

rupert123 - 2015-09-30 5:31 PM

If the OP is claiming the costs through his Travel Insurance, the NHS will not cover any of the costs. You can't claim twice.

With the NHS you would get around 90% of the cost and maybe more, but that's not written in stone.

How the vehicle would be repatriated if the claim went through the NHS I've no idea unless you could claim on your breakdown cover. Only problem with that is the vehicle is not broken down, so that might cause an issue.

Don't forget to keep all receipts and all hospital notes about what they did. The insurance will want to see those.

Dave

I paid out no money at all so nothing to claim back, it all worked very well indeed.

So you had two insurances that each policy had no excess to pay, you were lucky Henry. I've never seen a travel ins. that says there's no excess, must look harder next time.

My mistake was claiming through our Travel Ins and not through the EHIC system, because I had started to process the claim, EHIC did not want to know. By the way, the doctor was only interested in the debit card and not the EHIC card, he got his money straight away didn't he. Lesson learned.

By the way, please note that I haven't said you are not correct but you have not stated if you claimed anything through the EHIC system although the hospital took the card, so which did you claim through. your travel ins or EHIC and which of the three stood the cost of getting you home?

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2015-09-30 7:45 PM

rupert123 - 2015-09-30 5:31 PM

Dave

I paid out no money at all so nothing to claim back, it all worked very well indeed.

So you had two insurances that each policy had no excess to pay, you were lucky Henry. I've never seen a travel ins. that says there's no excess, must look harder next time.

My mistake was claiming through our Travel Ins and not through the EHIC system, because I had started to process the claim, EHIC did not want to know. By the way, the doctor was only interested in the debit card and not the EHIC card, he got his money straight away didn't he. Lesson learned.

By the way, please note that I haven't said you are not correct but you have not stated if you claimed anything through the EHIC system although the hospital took the card, so which did you claim through. your travel ins or EHIC and which of the three stood the cost of getting you home?

Dave

I never actually claimed on any, I informed them and they sorted it out between them. Getting home was on my holiday insurance. The Carte Neige has no excess, it is a French ski insurance. The EHIC has no excess and the holiday insurance although it had an excess I did not pay any. Not sure why this was but all bills were paid direct and I made no paper claims for money.

Thread has been moderated. Curtisden made a valid comment initially which, while not sympathetic or helpful for Len, pointed out an alternative. His subsequent posts have been informative, polite and sympathetic. Some of the replies to his posts have not been and have been removed. Please be civil or the thread will be locked and those responsible will be warned.

It has finally all fallen into place and were picked up from the hospital in Belgium at 1400 and taken by ambulance to Brussels airport and onto Manchester were we were met by Assisted Travel and taken through Immigration to a waiting ambulance. The crew were from Sheffield. Will start the ball rolling for Social Services etc and to get GREEN FLAG SORTED. This is in caps to express my disappointment with their service.They rang me at 5pm last night to ask me a few questions and said that they would ring back last night but they did not. I had to ring Churchill to get the message across. I left Churchill's rep the location of the MH regd number and location of the key and ferry details if they could use the original booking which has been extended by DFDS. Green Flag have not been in touch with me as I do not know if they will provide driver or if MH will be on the back of a lorry.

Len Salisbury - 2015-10-01 9:26 PM

Will start the ball rolling for Social Services etc and to get GREEN FLAG SORTED. This is in caps to express my disappointment with their service.They rang me at 5pm last night to ask me a few questions and said that they would ring back last night but they did not.

Glad to hear you finally got sorted (almost!) and now back home, but your mention of Green Flag prompted me.

Some years back before it 'rebadged' itself as Green Flag i had breakdown recovery with them and had a disaster involving a trailer i'd been towing in Switzerland. One of the leaf springs came adrift causing a fair bit of underside damage. When i called the breakdown they came up with all sorts of excuses and i was left to sort a breakdown recovery myself who took it to a nearby Garage.

The Garage couldn't source a suitable spring plus i'd got to get back to Calais so loaded everything i could into the car and set off. Once home, a friend of mine told me "don't phone them....write to them". And so began a stream of letters back and forth with them disputing i'd had the correct cover etc etc. I'd already proved to them i'd taken cover out for a trailer.

Two months of this silly nonsense went on until one day a letter popped through the door informing me they would ship the trailer back to my home address and pay all charges. There was a cheque enclosed for £675! I cashed it damn quick.....but not before i'd taken a photocopy of it and framed it.....and i still have it!!

Moral of the story being.....put everything in writing and don't communicate with them by phone.

Green Flag are NOT going to bring the MH home. They have said that it has not broken down and the driver is not incapacitated (me) but they are willing to pay for expenses for someone to go and drive it back to UK. Helen's daughter has volunteered and she lives in Worthing.We cannot contact her at the moment so cannot go any further with a plan.

Len Salisbury - 2015-10-02 2:17 PM

Green Flag are NOT going to bring the MH home. They have said that it has not broken down and the driver is not incapacitated (me) but they are willing to pay for expenses for someone to go and drive it back to UK. Helen's daughter has volunteered and she lives in Worthing.We cannot contact her at the moment so cannot go any further with a plan.

Glad your home quickly and that you have a solution re your campers return.

But I take it that there will be an insurance cost for the new driver and maybe a outgoing ferry cost someone will have to be meet?

I am far from surprised that Green flag has said no its in their terms and conditions and god forbid the new driver needs help on the return as I doubt you have any cover for them, so make sure they are fully covered against problems etc.before they leave?

My input is simply to draw others attention to the problems of travel and roadside insurance from various sources.

But the moral of this sad tale is you get what you pay for and if its free ignore it you will get very little.

If it's the cheapest there is a reason why. If it comes as part of the package it will be restricted cover at best as the insurance company will want its cut.

Take out separate cover for all elements, preferably from the same insurer and travel with peace of mind that if things do go wrong you have a better than even chance of a quick and simple outcome.

Oh yes talk to your doctor. I bet that the insurance company that NatWest use. It won't be the bank they out source it. Will have been in touch?

I have learnt a lot from some of the contributions on this thread re other companies to use, but Camper travel is a tricky thing to get fully cover and I recon that if the one company covers the lot they have a interest in that asset returning home in good condition.

There seems to be plenty of confusion over travel insurance covering Campers and roadside breakdowns. Read the small print every time not just the advertising headlines.

Trust the better half has a fast and full recovery and she is not put off traveling overseas.

P

Len Salisbury - 2015-10-02 2:17 PM

If they are prepared to cover all expenses i'd take them up on that. Taxi's to and from relevant airport, campsite where van is, plus flight. It would be cheaper for them to send an employee over and drive it back!

If you get stuck Len, i live about 60 miles from you and more than willing to drive you there for the cost of fuel and ferry.

Thank you Bullet guy for your kind offer. Helen's daughter is on the insurance as an additional driver so there is no additional cost. She lives in Worthing so is only a couple of hours from Dover and with her daughter driving their car could be there and back in a day. The biggest problem that has arisen is that we have not been able to contact her all day. So we are stuck.

Len Salisbury - 2015-10-02 10:50 PM

Thank you Bullet guy for your kind offer. Helen's daughter is on the insurance as an additional driver so there is no additional cost. She lives in Worthing so is only a couple of hours from Dover and with her daughter driving their car could be there and back in a day. The biggest problem that has arisen is that we have not been able to contact her all day. So we are stuck.

Maybe switched her phone off to avoid 'nuisance' callers! :D

I trust Green Flag will be paying the costs of fuel, ferry and site fees (assuming you left it on a site)? Anyway if you fail to make contact, you know where i am so just shout up!

I don't want to sound too dramatic Len, but after reading hallii's post about the problem he had at Calais, I think I would ask and see if DFDS would let you change your daughters route from there so she can sail from Dunkirk instead. I'm just thinking of a lone woman driving (easy target) and these bu**ers don't give a toss.

Dave

I am going to use plan "b" and that is that I am going to fly on Wednesday 0750 from Manchester to Brussels and get a taxi from there to where the MH is located stay the night and on Thursday drive to Dunkirk and home same day. Well I hope so. Green Flag will re-imburse the taxi fares with receipts.

Len Salisbury - 2015-10-04 10:49 PM

I am going to use plan "b" and that is that I am going to fly on Wednesday 0750 from Manchester to Brussels and get a taxi from there to where the MH is located stay the night and on Thursday drive to Dunkirk and home same day. Well I hope so. Green Flag will re-imburse the taxi fares with receipts.

Hhmmmmm.......Green Flag should be reimbursing all expenses.

This was my experience some years ago in Bavaria with a breakdown company called Europ Assist. Cost of breakdown recovery was £49 for one year.

Recovery truck picked van up and took to a Ford Garage with myself. Van left at Garage. Taxi from Garage Hotel which the breakdown company had organised and booked in my name. I had to pay but told to keep all receipts which were sent to Europ Assist on my return to UK. Taxi back from Hotel to Garage the following day to collect van.

Total bill inc taxi and Hotel overnight came to just over £65. Cheque came back from Europ Assist within days.

Good luck on your trip to fetch back your motorhome , i think you doing the right thing , hope the missis gets better soon ,what a really stressfull time for you both , and also painfull for her , let us know how you get on cheers pp:)

The plan of attack is that I shall be picked up from home at 0500 by taxi and taken to Manchester airport and fly with Ryanair (Green Flag booking) and then to Charleroi airport south of Brussels. I have already told them that the cost of a taxi may be astronomical so may have a change of plan and go by train to Antwerp and then to the MH by taxi. If I am feeling ok by then I may strike out for Dunkirk and stay the night in the port area and catch the 0800 ferry to Dover and home.

Archived