Snipe Advice Please

Budgie823

I have just received a new Snipe satellite system and, after connecting it through my Avtex TV with built-in receiver, I am only able to get the Astra 2 satellite and no others. Is this normal when in the UK or is there a fault, either with me or the system? Any support much appreciated as always.

Hi

Out of interest. Selfsat have an update download of revised satellite infos. http://selfsat.com/03_snipe/snipe_upgrade.html

You should be able to get Astra 1 and Hotbird in England and Wales. There is a support mail on the Selfsat website if not. I used them recently and got a quick reply, but my Snipe turned out to be faulty and I had to send it back. Still awaiting repair or replacment.

Note that a 'freesat' or 'Sky box' may have difficulty tuning in other stations from other satelites. You'll need a universal receiver.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan. It would seem that mine must already have the latest software as I am able to tune into Astra 1 and Hotbird. Having said that, there doesn't appear to be much worth watching on either. Up to now I have only really found Astra 2 to have anything worth watching but I'll keep playing with it and see how I get on.

Cheers, Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi

Re Megasat/Snipe --> AVOID!

I have a 'Megasat Countryman GPS Premium', which is 100% identical to the 'Snipe Pro'. Both these devices are made in Korea, they are simply badged in the west.

Unfortunately, I cannot report any positives re the Megasat. The waterproofing is non existent, water gets into it whether driving or stationary, and the next time you try and use it the motors burn out. I have had mine since June, its spent under 2 months actually on the van roof, its been back to Germany twice for repair. Its burnt out 2 elevation motors and a rotation motor. I have spoken to a UK retailer of the Snipe Pro who has confirmed that they have seen the same issues.

If you don't want a whole load of pain spend some more money - Megasat and Snipe devices are cheap for a reason - they are utter rubbish!

The only upside is that I paid £500 brand new for a fully automatic sat dish. These things are only cheap if they work though!

Nigel

veletron - 2015-11-16 1:30 PM

Hi

Re Megasat/Snipe --> AVOID!

I have a 'Megasat Countryman GPS Premium', which is 100% identical to the 'Snipe Pro'. Both these devices are made in Korea, they are simply badged in the west.

Unfortunately, I cannot report any positives re the Megasat. The waterproofing is non existent, water gets into it whether driving or stationary, and the next time you try and use it the motors burn out. I have had mine since June, its spent under 2 months actually on the van roof, its been back to Germany twice for repair. Its burnt out 2 elevation motors and a rotation motor. I have spoken to a UK retailer of the Snipe Pro who has confirmed that they have seen the same issues.

If you don't want a whole load of pain spend some more money - Megasat and Snipe devices are cheap for a reason - they are utter rubbish!

The only upside is that I paid £500 brand new for a fully automatic sat dish. These things are only cheap if they work though!

Nigel

We have had the exact opposite of your experience and found the Selfsat Snipe a brilliant bit of kit so much so that we will have another fitted to our new van shortly. We had a Maxview Dome previously which we had a big problem with and after it costing us £1600, after 3.1/2 years Maxview couldn't supply a new motherboard even though we were prepared to pay for it, we didn't want it on Warranty, Maxview were very belligerent.

The selfsat is the older model with the 'rounded off oblong' rather than fully circular base?

Mine is the newer model sold as 'Snipe Pro' or 'Megasat Countryman GPS Premium'. Its back in Germany being repaired at the moment, No ETA when I will get it back - they refused me a refund despite 2 failures, I guess I will shove it on ebay and cut my losses.

Link: http://www.sghomeleisure.co.uk/Automatic-Satellite-Dishes/Snipe-Pro-Fully-Automatic-Satellite?gclid=CjwKEAiAstCyBRDiqu75hvnX82kSJACgYI_Q32jWKTf556Y5YtgN61jAu15dsbZX1lk_hqSvrOSuIRoCvSbw_wcB&

Maybe they just cant cope with the Scottish weather...

Nigel

veletron - 2015-11-24 6:08 PM

The selfsat is the older model with the 'rounded off oblong' rather than fully circular base?

Mine is the newer model sold as 'Snipe Pro' or 'Megasat Countryman GPS Premium'. Its back in Germany being repaired at the moment, No ETA when I will get it back - they refused me a refund despite 2 failures, I guess I will shove it on ebay and cut my losses.

Link: http://www.sghomeleisure.co.uk/Automatic-Satellite-Dishes/Snipe-Pro-Fully-Automatic-Satellite?gclid=CjwKEAiAstCyBRDiqu75hvnX82kSJACgYI_Q32jWKTf556Y5YtgN61jAu15dsbZX1lk_hqSvrOSuIRoCvSbw_wcB&

Maybe they just cant cope with the Scottish weather...

Nigel

Thought the snipe Pro was the one with a dual LNB.

Snap!!

My Snipe failed just after I last posted here at the end of Sept. Went away for repair and also no ETA for return from Selfsat. Two months later, I demanded a refund from the reseller and luckily got it! I think they are overloaded with warranty jobs by the sound of it.

Good job I didn't screw it to the roof!!!!

Alan

Have been watcing this thread with interest and just thought would add my twopenny worth! We first purchased a Snipe from Roadpro in August 2013. This was roof mounted and at the time there was no advice not to roof mount from anyone. This Snipe failed in March 2014 (just started spinning around and not stopping!) and was replaced by Roadpro. This second Snipe lasted until December 2014 when it started making loud grating noises on seeking the satellite and it would have eventually become well and truly stuck - we were afraid of it sticking in the upright position! On Roadpro's advice the second Snipe was returned to Avtex. They collected it by courier and returned a new one - no questions asked. They were obviously not surprised by the failure. And, you've guessed it - this third Snipe failed in August this year having started to grate in April. We'd had enough.........we got in touch with Roadpro and said we were not willing to have yet another replacement. To their credit they were very sympathetic and eventually we came to the decision to have their own automatic compact folding satellite dish fitted. We paid them the difference between the two units. We felt this was very fair of them. We were told by Andy Harris the boss of Roadpro that there has been a lot of trouble with the Snipe and in his opinion they are not suited to roof mounting but if customers really want one roof mounting they will do so. Anecdotally Andy said that he has a dealer friend in France who has had nearly all fitted Snipes returned with faults. You pays your money...........touch wood the new satellite dish has been fine - so far! I hope for all other Snipe owners that we were just incredibly unlucky.

Randonneur - 2015-11-24 9:02 PM

Thought the snipe Pro was the one with a dual LNB.

Nope, its a completely new design. The round base being a better fit for using the device if there is snow on the roof. It also has an additional support for the antenna to assist use when its blowing. Seemed ideal, but unfortunately poorly engineered.

Still not got mine back .... again (so that it can fail .... again)!

Nigel

It would seem we need a forum for naming some of the rubbish these dealers try to sell and the god dam awful service and attitude we put up with when it inevitably goes "£$%- up. It doesn't seem to be the exception but more the rule. I have just had some work done at Travelworld and the workmanship beggars believe. You could train a chimpanzee to do better and I'm not joking. Once you have parted with you hard earned cash you have had it. None of us want something for nothing, but it would encourage us to be manufacture and dealer loyal. Plus often we hear who the fare dealers are by word of mouth. They must know that..so I can recommend Peter Hambilton Engineering at Preston as I had some work done there on my Hymer... Excellent! LCS won't even reply to a message or email of which I have sent 6 to enquire about an Crystop Autosat problem with a view to buying a new control box.

Archived