Fitted Gas Tanks

MickyDee

We had an Autogas underslung tank on our Warwick Duo and it was bu##er to fill.

It transpired that the cut off valve was sticking when the tank was filled and although the level gauge showed the gas level to be empty, which it was at times, it still would not fill.

A couple of times a good hefty clout with a 2' lump of 4"x 2" freed it but that was not a lot of fun on a tank mounted under the middle of the van. - and it meant carrying said lump of timber everywhere as well!

In the end the dealers, Simpsons of Great Yarmouth, who were superb throughout all the many trials and tribulations that we had with that van, replaced the tank under warranty and it was no trouble after that.

I now have a refillable bottle on our current van and that works fine - just don't rely on the level gauge!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, we have a 55 litre (44 litre cap) I had it fitted in 2004, transferred it to next van 2008, then after sending it to be serviced and certified fitted it to our 2012 van. We spend 100 nights plus away, all over Europe and have had no problems refilling, we opted for this size tand as in Spain goal stations can be few and far between.. It also frees up the gas locker for other use, on our Swifts that could carry two 13kg bottles the tank weighed less (empty) than the two bottles. And our Aspire could of only carried two 6kg bottles. So for us the tank is a must.

Hi

Got the fifty odd ltr tank from Autogas 2000 at Thirsk. Speak to Chris. They make a cradle in which the tank sits. The cradle is attached to the chassis. Some tanks by others are held up with thin bands around the tank and fastened above. The bands rust and there are some threads on here where the tanks have come loose and caused damage so make sure your fitting is such that this can not happen. With a cradle correctly fastened to the chassis the tank will never cause a problem. As for use I cannot fault it and I have never had a problem filling up. The filler is in the skirt. The gas can be left on as the installation includes a crash censor which cuts the gas off in a crash situation. (You then have to crawl underneath and reset the system) I am delighted with mine and cannot praise the Autogas team enough. I went down the night before and stayed overnight in their yard (You have to arrange this as the neighbours get twitchy) First thing in the morning job started and completed just after lunch. Any questions about the system are answered at the time.

Art

Archived