Swift Kon-Tiki 645

Megan

I have been looking at a 2004 model of the Swift Kon-Tiki 645. (45,000 on the clock) 2.8cc (is this good?)

However like most newbies I am pretty scared of putting down a great deal of money on the unknown.

Any thoughts (and yes I've been on the Swift website which did nothing to quell my fears). My husband thinks it is all insane but I really like the layout, the fittings seem to be good quality and there is plenty of room for our 3 bichons. It is longer and wider than I would like but to get the internal area I can't see a way around this.

The alternative is to hire but there is nowhere near us that hires and even those that do so seem to have a minimum period of 7 days (too long if we just want to use at at weekend)

Would appreciate your thoughts thank you

We had the 610 which is of course much smaller than the one you are looking at, I loved that van, but I wouldn't buy anything without having a thorough damp check done!! ours was fine a 2003 but I do know that some had a few problems with de laminating floor , you are right the fittings are of good sturdy quality.

Agree,Megan, before parting with any money (even as a deposit) I would get it checked for damp,using a good quality Damp meter. Damp is the major problem with 2nd hand motorhomes, everything else is 'fixable' (usually) for not too much money, but damp means BIG money.

The Engine 2.8 litre TDI Diesel is one of the best, provided it has been serviced regularly.

Good luck Ray

45,000 miles is about right for a 2004 Van, motorhomes do a lot less mileage than cars.

The Fiat 2.8 has a history of 5th gear problems, so it would be advisable to check that on a test drive. Not an expensive job that can be replaced without the gearbox being removed. But would be an annoyance if it failed shortly after purchase. Check if dealer/ seller has full service history showing if the 5th gear has been replaced.

Megan - 2015-10-02 8:52 PM

I have been looking at a 2004 model of the Swift Kon-Tiki 645. (45,000 on the clock) 2.8cc (is this good?)

However like most newbies I am pretty scared of putting down a great deal of money on the unknown.

Any thoughts (and yes I've been on the Swift website which did nothing to quell my fears). My husband thinks it is all insane but I really like the layout, the fittings seem to be good quality and there is plenty of room for our 3 bichons. It is longer and wider than I would like but to get the internal area I can't see a way around this.

The alternative is to hire but there is nowhere near us that hires and even those that do so seem to have a minimum period of 7 days (too long if we just want to use at at weekend)

Would appreciate your thoughts thank you

Dare I ask this, but why does your husband think what you have in mind is insane?

If he is convinced that he will not enjoy motorcaravanning, or that there are good reasons for you as a family not to own any motorhome, I believe you’ll need to try to persuade him otherwise before bothering to look at specific motorhome models.

If he thinks that contemplating paying a not-insignificant amount of money for a complex 11-year-old leisure-vehicle is not the most sensible of ideas, I’d have a good deal odf sympathy with that view. You’ve been on the Swift website, you've seen comments above about potential damp and gearbox problems and you should be in no doubt that a motorhome can be a ‘money pit’ if you get a bad one. It would not really matter what make/model of motorhome you bought (though some certainly have a better reputation than others) there’s always the risk of a big bill in the short term. That’s why you need to be very careful when buying and (I suggest) buy from a local dealership that will offer a realistic guarantee.

There is a good deal of on-line advice about motorhome purchase - this is an example

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/motorhome-buyers-guide

Hi all

Thanks for the replies -

Husband only thinks the amount of money is insane, not the actual holiday aspect. We are fairly used to caravans and campsites.

Where do I get a good damp meter - do I need one or should the dealer have one and anyway says it will have a full 12months mot, mechanical service, Habitation inspection and 6 Months comprehensive warranty and a full valet. Also the option to test drive if I wish.

I have had a shed load of trouble with a car recently hence my wariness and in no doubt it could be a money pit.

The mileage seams realistic. Ours is 2006 and we have nearly 50,000 miles on the clock.We average about 5000 miles a year. we have a swift, and apart from the floor damp (which was replaced by Swift , with no problems out of warranty as well!!)

PJay

Megan - 2015-10-05 3:34 PM

Hi all

Thanks for the replies -

Husband only thinks the amount of money is insane, not the actual holiday aspect. We are fairly used to caravans and campsites.

Where do I get a good damp meter - do I need one or should the dealer have one and anyway says it will have a full 12months mot, mechanical service, Habitation inspection and 6 Months comprehensive warranty and a full valet. Also the option to test drive if I wish.

I have had a shed load of trouble with a car recently hence my wariness and in no doubt it could be a money pit.

You should be able to get a damp meter on ebay. If you are well under 70 a van over 3.5 ton is O.K as long as you feel confident driving it, but at 70 your license changes so to drive over 3.5 you may need to have another test ?? not sure about this but Im sure some-one else will advise.

maggyd - 2015-10-06 8:32 PM

Hi all

Thanks for the replies -

You should be able to get a damp meter on ebay. If you are well under 70 a van over 3.5 ton is O.K as long as you feel confident driving it, but at 70 your license changes so to drive over 3.5 you may need to have another test ?? not sure about this but Im sure some-one else will advise.

. You just need a medical, not a test to keep your 'over 3500kg license' then a medical every 3 years. Ray.

Rayjsj - 2015-10-07 9:29 AM

maggyd - 2015-10-06 8:32 PM

Hi all

Thanks for the replies -

. You just need a medical, not a test to keep your 'over 3500kg license' then a medical every 3 years. Ray.

I wonder what would fail you on a medical then ? my O,.H has had his cataracts done but has B.P and a slight heart problem!!

Anyway its hypothetical as we love our now P.V.C :-D no heart-stopping moments !! on hills narrow roads etc. Its alright having loads of room when on site but when you have to monoever it you can keep it cosy is good.

Hi again, I have had a drive of this vehicle and it seems ok if a bit pedantic. It feels very long but is only half a meter longer than another one I tried which was very nice

A Swift Voyager 695 EL 2008 2.287cc, 23000 on the clock

Any thoughts please?

Archived