New Aqua-Kem 1 Litre bottle

HymerVan

I usually travel with a two litre bottle which I can fit into the cassette locker but for shorter trips a one litre bottle fits better and I recently bought one. I did not realise until after purchase that this has a new "improved dispenser". There re no instructions on the bottle but so far as I can see you just squeeze the bottle until the required dose is pushed up to the chamber at the top then you tip the bottle over into the cassette.

You will need to do this twice as the chamber holds less that one dose.

I found however that squeezing the bottle compresses it and that compression does not pop out when released. So once the bottle is about half empty it is sufficiently flattened that it it very difficult to squeeze out the rest of the contents.

I have solved the problem by removing "the works" and restoring it to a simple bottle (which I can fill from my two litre stock) but i wondered if anybody else has come across this problem.

We stopped using Aqua chem ages ago, and swapped to Elsan Blue in 4 litre containers, also use their 'pink/red' upper fluid for flushing, doesn't allow algae or black 'bits' to form.Also use their 'double packs' of blue concentrate, to get the more convenient sized containers, which we decant the 4 litre containers into. Have a Thetford version of the 'SOG', but not impressed, and certainly will not give up using blue Elsan fluid . Only fluid with a British kitemark for killing bacteria and viruses. Ray

HymerVan - 2015-10-04 11:26 AM

There is a view that formaldehyde is carcinogenic. However I am unclear whether Elsan Blue contains that chemical and so far as I can see the Elsan website does not make that clear. Do you happen to know if EB is formaldehyde free

Yes it does, (contain Formaldehyde, although at what strength I don't know).That is why it is the only Fluid to have a British kitemark, most of the others are not strong enough to kill bacteria and viruses (including Aqua-Chem,which is why i stopped using it). I have no intentions of drinking it or even allowing it onto my skin, I always wear rubber gloves when using it.

I also used Formaldehyde extensively when working in the Brewing industry many years ago.Provided it is handled correctly it is perfectly safe. It is NOT however to be used in Septic Tanks, which rely on bacterial action to break down solids. Ray

Elsan Blue 4 litre containers can be obtained quite cheaply when bought in 3's or 4's.

HymerVan - 2015-10-04 1:43 PM

Being a somewhat clumsy sort of person I seem to manage to get aqua them on my hands when charging my tank !!

I wouldn't worry, it's not very toxic (or strong come to that !) I always keep a pair of rubber gloves in the cassette cupboard, and get a new pair every season. saves having the blue stains on the hands ! or worrying about Formaldehyde ! Which, if the EU have their way will go the same way as : Creasote, generic Sodium Chlorate Weedkiller, and many other useful products whose only replacements are very expensive 'branded' products, which are not as effective. (end of rant !)

Ray

Archived