Satellite Systems

Jack

Thinking of installing an automatic satellite system. Are there any reviews available regards quality and or value for money? On our previous MH we had the Oyster system (85cm dish) which performed well, the only downside was my concerns about putting the dish up in the wind. I'm aware that the 'foot print' has reduced but we would still be interested in maximizing the coverage we could achieve. We currently have a manual Maxview system which has worked well enough in the UK but did not try to get any reception in Europe on our latest trip

Any views regarding the above?

Thanks Jack

On a previous van we had an Oyster Caro which worked extremely well and we enjoyed the local (Look North) news throughout France, Germany etc.

The new van has a Selfsat Snipe which is designed as a freestanding auto unit but can be permanently fitted to the roof. So far we have only used it the once and it worked really well. Locked on the chosen satellite within seconds and produced a good quality picture on our HD Avtex TV. With the change in footprints I didn't get too deeply involved in which system would receive signal fluster south but we will give it a try in Spain this winter. However, the price for a fully automatic roof mounted system with features such as auto skew is, I think, unbeatable.

David

Agree with all of the above.

We are on our second Oyster auto set up, this time an 85cm Vision with auto skew. The latter feature is essential to squeeze the most out of the footprint when touring in Europe. Now that Astra 2 has been "rebooted" and channels moved, I understand that no major changes are planned for some time so updating will not be required any time soon. Also - if you are going to the NEC definitely talk to Robert but also to the excellent staff on the Oyster stand - very helpful people. Or if not, phone them up - good answers on the phone as well.

Wills Wagon - 2015-10-09 10:04 PM

85 cm Oyster is excellent. If you want info talk to Robert Jackson 01924 848566 or 07802 843332.[/quote

I bought our first auto oyster system from RJ and was disappointed with the after sales support. Sure he knows heaps about the product, but his explanations to someone like me with zero knowledge of sat TV was next to useless.

If you know what he's talking about you could be OK, for me not much use, particularly when trying to get information over the phone.

I'd go to Oyster direct if I could, and try to avoid getting the bums rush.

Well, just to be the odd one out, I’ve recently fitted a Snipe. Must say I’m very impressed so far, although I’ve only used it on the drive (Durham) and a recent trip to Cheshire, speed of acquiring the satellite and reception were both very good.

Off to Germany in a week or so, so that should test it. I’m hoping it will be OK for most of the trip as I’m just over the Dutch border, but may have problems when I get down to Nuremberg, we’ll see.

Brian

Wills Wagon - 2015-10-10 7:18 PM

Robert Jackson and his son Paul will be at the NEC and will show you what you want if you ask. You don't need to be a techie!

Oh yes you do, my understanding of all things sat tv is pretty much non existant.

Techies never think they're techies, to them its simples. It's a matter of a lack of background knowledge and to some extent a lack of interest. I always want something that is auto, ie switch it on and it works without need to refer to instructions that to me make little or no sense, my eyes just slide off the paper. I'm no fiddler.

If it doesn't work kill it with a hammer.

Archived