5 Pence Bag Charge

antony1969

How does that work ?

Filled up at the Co-op few weeks ago and bought some goodies too , asked for a bag and was refused . When I questioned the enforcer behind the till as to why she replied they are reducing the plastics they use and therefore the impact on the environment .

Brilliant I said but probably 90% of your goods come in plastic , your store displays and counter are coated in plastic and outside you have eight pumps selling God knows how much fuel all day every day and your trying to make me feel responsible for global warming .... Stick it

Good morning Mr Grumpy!

5p per bag is not the end of plastic, bags it is not even the beginning of the end, but it might just be the end of the beginning of the curse of plastic packaging!

But let's not forget the benefits of hygenic and safe food that plastic has helped to create?

Well I am for it. You go in the large supermarkets, and get people using 10/12 bags with all the shopping in. Surely if you are going to get your weekly shop , it makes sense to take bags with you.

Lidl have been charging for years, I believe ?(Only used them abroad ) On the continent most people take bags with them.

As has been said some goods are over packaged , bags in boxes, then some wrapped in cellophane. Yes some goods will need to be in bags, Fish/meat.

Will be interesting to see who gets the 5p , the shop or is it going to be charities ?

Our local Tesco have been giving customers a free bag this last week, which now cost 5p .

Not sure how much it will help the environment ? BUT at least it's a start

PJay

Well not ALL plastic bags will disappear yet because the law only applies to " large " shops - I beleive that it's those with more than 250 employees. ( Goodness knows why ).

The smaller shops can decide for themselves.

Different laws - applying to all shops - apply in Wales and Scotland as I understand it.

:-|

We as motorhome owners polluting as we go obviously care about the environment don't we ?

I see more Mcdonalds / pizza / drinks / crisp packets and the rest on road sides than empty Asda bags

The Germans who I believe lead the way in re-cycling haven stopped giving plastic bags out , here now and we haven't been charged for any ... They want the beer crates back though

I will never be buying any bags as I never give to charities.

Regarding additional packaged wrapping I can see a time when someone will sue over a personal injury caused by trying to get to the contents.

There are no instructions on how to open most packages. Most times a knife is required with a wrist artery exposed in the opposite hand.

Will H - 2015-10-10 6:10 PM

There are no instructions on how to open most packages.

Absolutely agree - it can be a real bu@@er getting into a packet of bacon for a simple bacon butty!

And as for frying pans - well elfan safety should seriously consider banning them because they get so HOT!

All knives forks and scissors should be made of plastic with no pointy ends and even crockery and glassware should carry health warnings like - sharp edges when broken!

But as long as we have a good supply of free plastic bags to chuck out the empty packaging in as well broken bits with sharp edges we should be OK!

laimeduck - 2015-10-05 9:36 AM

Personally I'd ban them (as they have done in France for z few years now) I used to live near the Thames and all the bushes along the banks were cloogged up with abandoned plastic bags from all the common supermarkets. looked awful.

Do you mean that it didn't look so bad if the bags were from Waitrose?:-)

candapack - 2015-10-11 7:25 AM

laimeduck - 2015-10-05 9:36 AM

Personally I'd ban them (as they have done in France for z few years now) I used to live near the Thames and all the bushes along the banks were cloogged up with abandoned plastic bags from all the common supermarkets. looked awful.

Do you mean that it didn't look so bad if the bags were from Waitrose?:-)

Funny you should say that?

The only supermarket in Wallingford Oxon was........Waitrose! The nearest Sainsbury was about 10 miles away but their orange bags still adorned the trees as well as the red white & blue Tesco (nearest in Didcot about 5 miles away)

Can't recall seeing an M&S bag though? (nearest store either Reading or Oxford (about 13 miles))

AND definitely no Harrods bags...although being green, they are camouflaged!

There is far to much packaging these days! I don't know why we expect a store to provide us with plastic bags ? If you intend to shop you take a bag with you, if you didn't remember then be prepared to pay 5 p for one.

Look at the size of our dustbins now ! Years ago we had a small galvanised one and that was usually just full with peelings , ashes etc., half the things we buy are already in packaging, then they gave you another bag to carry it in!

Archived