Sat Nav error ?

George Collings

Guest Peter James
George Collings - 2015-10-06 9:28 AM

2nd Best job in the world Navigator on the IOW ferry.

From what I saw it was the worst job because the Solent was full of idiots. Anybody who had the money could buy a boat and put to sea.

Recently I heard a tale ( names and places fuzzy to avoid being sued) about a west country based sailing boat sold over the internet.

The north country buyer was a bit slow in following up his bid and was contacted to check when collection anticipated.

His reply was that his son would bring him and he would sail to North Wales and collect from there. Bear in mind the short way involved leaving the English Channel rounding Lands and and passage up through the Irish Sea in a sailboat with outboard engine he was asked if he was taking three weeks off work.

He had anticipated it would a a weekends trip and would stay in sight of land and was unaware of the Bristol channel and its huge tidal range.

They do it differently in France where every boat is inspected by the coastguards and gets a certificate limiting how far it can go from land and the user have to pass an exam.

I read somewhere that despite all that regulation their marine accident record comparable with ours.

Many years ago i was talking to a guy who had just been out fishing in his little motor cruiser , i asked him how he navigated out to sea when fishing and he said i always go left out of the harbour and then turn right untill i can just see scarborough in the distance then i put down anchor and start fishing , when it starts getting near sunset i head for land again and turn right back into the harbour , apparently he had been doing this for years .

Archived