Thanks for Poland help

swifty

About this time last year I asked for any help and advice on visiting Poland. Well we have just returned and I want to thank all of you who posted a reply. What a fantastic country with such friendly people and I can't think what has taken us so long to visit it. Having a motorhome at less than 3.5 tonne we did not need a go box and most of the motorways were toll free anyway. On toll sections it was pay at the booth and tolls were very cheap, in total we only paid 50pzl (about £9). The minor roads were not as bad as we had been told and we will certainly be going again some time.

Thanks Swifty, some photos and a bit more detail would be most welcome, at least by me. I have been to Poland ( hotels) and have a Polish friend but have never motorhomed over there so any info. most welcome.

I might go there next year.

H

Glad you enjoyed Poland Swiftly.

It's one of my favourite countries and i've been many times now. I just kept going back each year! I love the place that much even my bottled gas is Polish so i have to go back!! But it is quite a large country and you will need more than one visit. The friendly people you found is typical Polish hospitality. Those who haven't been before seem to worry no end about road condition and i do wonder at times what fragile vehicles they must have! But as you've now witnessed yourself, the 'bad roads' is a myth bandied around by folk who don't get about much!

pelmetman - 2015-10-08 5:22 PM

What's the weather....grub....wine....campsites.......aires...... like? ;-) ..........

Weather is very good and summer temps can often go up into the 30's. The cooler temps are found along the Baltic coast.

Food is excellent and you can easily eat out for well under a tenner if you go to the right places, ie not the 'touristy' areas in Krakow or other large cities. Having toured around most of the west, east and along the Baltic, i decided to 'go through the middle'.....and ended up at a small quiet town called Znin which sits between two huge lakes.

I went intending to spend a couple of days.....but stayed for ten. That's how much i enjoyed the place. And this was where i dined out each evening; http://oi57.tinypic.com/2w7ipg2.jpg just a 10 minute walk from an ACSI site, i'd wander up in an evening, have a meal of fresh cooked food (no microwave crap), a few beers, couple of espresso's. All in probably around ten quid. Small outdoor Restaurants like this are commonplace in Poland and great for people like me with a passion of 'perving' the local girls who dress like catwalk models with legs and figure to match! :D

Aires? Park up wherever you like. They don't have 'aires' specific but if driving along a quiet remote country road and spot a good place to park, no problem. Like this here; http://oi60.tinypic.com/mwdr1v.jpg which is where i parked up overlooking Lake Sniardwy, Polands largest lake in the Masurian area. Weather was baking hot hence the reason i'm parked in the shade. Very quiet spot which i had all to myself and didn't struggle for food as right opposite was this place; http://oi62.tinypic.com/1y7446.jpg a newly built Restaurant where i had a superb evening meal and wonderful breakfast.

Try Poland Dave.....i guarantee you won't be disappointed.

antony1969 - 2015-10-08 8:15 PM

Sounds pretty good to me too , may well be worth a look ... One thing , who cooked and served your restaurant meals ? ... All the Poles live here now ;-)

Polish. The girl waitress was from Znin and a student at Poznan University. The two guys working in the Kitchen, also from Znin.

There are some foreigners working and living in Poland though, including British.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/dec/12/poland.helenpidd

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2043562/SPECIAL-REPORT-The-Brits-left-UK-life-Poland.html

Spiralling costs and punitive taxation along with the bi-annual Budget which television media has now turned into a sick warped entertainments programme, makes life in Poland positively appealing. Note one of those reports quoting fuel prices is from 2011. Two years later and i'm paying the same price or less in Poland. Prices in Poland tend to go in the absolute opposite direction to that of UK. Whilst ours increase, theirs either remain stable or go down.

Now.......if only the language was easy to learn! It's not!!

PJay - 2015-10-09 9:19 AM

I was going to ask, how you get on with the language ?

PJay

Most have a good command of English with some speaking fluently.

Trying to learn a few Polish words is useful but pronunciation of them for a British person isn't easy at all. Even simple place names such as Wroclaw or Krakow aren't pronounced how we 'read' them.

Bulletguy - 2015-10-09 2:41 PM

PJay

Trying to learn a few Polish words is useful but pronunciation of them for a British person isn't easy at all. Even simple place names such as Wroclaw or Krakow aren't pronounced how we 'read' them.

I assumed that to be the case

Maybe if you pop over to Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire , There maybe classes in Polish. Lots of them live there! Don't they do a phase book Polish/English? Worth looking on line?

PJay

PJay - 2015-10-09 6:34 PM

Bulletguy - 2015-10-09 2:41 PM

PJay

I assumed that to be the case

Maybe if you pop over to Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire , There maybe classes in Polish. Lots of them live there! Don't they do a phase book Polish/English? Worth looking on line?

PJay

There is yes and i have one......for what use it's worth! I find it better for a Polish speaking person to say the word as they would, then to slow it right down so i can see how they shape the mouth to get the word. It's pronouncing just single words on their own that isn't easy and Polish themselves admit it's not an easy language for a foreign person to learn. German is easier for British and if struggling with communication, Polish will ask if you speak German.

Take this as an example; Popielniczka. It's Polish for ash tray. *-)

Took me a whole day or more to learn how to pronounce just that one word and even then, the girls (who taught me) all had a good laugh at my rubbish "Polish". :-( :D

Guest pelmetman

Fortunately I'm fluent in international pointy finger B-) ...........

Although if they still play dumb, I speak loudly in English whilst deploying the pointy finger ;-) ................

Works for me :D .......

Archived