vw emissions

brom

For any VW owners who might be worried about whether their van has the notorious 'defeat' software, you can check simply -

www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo

Input your vehicle's Vin number (taken from the windscreen) and the result is immediate.

From what I can gather, nearly all T5 and 5.1 Transporters are in the clear, like mine. The only exception I've read about is a 180BiTurbo. Caddies, including 1.6 engines, however, do seem generally to be affected.

By the way other VAG (i.e. Audi, Seat & Skoda) owners need to check on their respective manufacturers' websites. If you check the VIN of a non-VW on VW's website it responds 'this VIN is not affected' rather than 'this VIN is not a VW'. Given that many websites are directing owners to the one central checker on VW's site I think they could have put a little more thought into this part of their software too..

Steve928 - 2015-10-12 9:51 AM

By the way other VAG (i.e. Audi, Seat & Skoda) owners need to check on their respective manufacturers' websites. If you check the VIN of a non-VW on VW's website it responds 'this VIN is not affected' rather than 'this VIN is not a VW'. Given that many websites are directing owners to the one central checker on VW's site I think they could have put a little more thought into this part of their software too..

Perhaps they did put some thought into it and decided that was the intended response?

Having had BMW and VW cars I've never had any faith in the attitude to service and support from those two German car makers which is why we now drive Japanese cars!

'Computer says no' or 'It must be the way that you drive it, sir' being the standard response to most issues their 'technicians' can't solve.

To be fair Skoda and Seat seemed to be far more supportive, but in the end all of their engines are VW sourced!

Tracker - 2015-10-12 10:19 AM

..but in the end all of their engines are VW sourced!

Of course, which is why surely it would be better for VW's website to give an unambiguous response.

In my case I followed a link from an automotive website (it might have been HonestJohn) saying 'Check here if your EA189-engined vehicle is affected' and was told it isn't when it fact it is. Why would you think that would be their intended response?

I have hated VW with a passion for may years.

It's got nothing to do with their smug and stupid owners but more to do with some lies they told some years ago about the Audi TT.

Their engines were claimed to output 180 or 225hp but on close inspection of the fine print in the brochure, this was only when using 98RON super Unleaded petrol. Which nobody was ever going to do.

At that point, I swore that they could not be trusted, and that i would never buy any VW group product again.

This was always on the cards. It could not have happened to a more worthy business. I hope it breaks them.

Emissions data from all manufacturers is barely worth taking notice of since the lab tests have little to do with real world conditions but cheating is cheating.

There is another manufacturer that has been cheating too. They have so far claimed that they have not but when Bosch are made to stand up in court; all will be revealed.

euroserv - 2015-10-12 1:04 PM

I have hated VW with a passion for may years.

It's got nothing to do with their smug and stupid owners but more to do with some lies they told some years ago about the Audi TT.

Ah yes, the car that went off the road because of unstable vortex shedding off the boot which had to be fixed with a spoiler. Vorsprung durch technik....or the "four sprung duck technique" as the joke has it. We are neither stupid or smug but have a Golf with the DSG gearbox because my wife needs an auto and that is in a league of its own.

I agree with the earlier post about their response to problems. I was repeatedly told there couldn't be a problem with my T4's ABS until I took it while it was actually playing up and also gave them a copy of a piece about reluctor rings which explained exactly what the problem was.

You may hate VW with a passion and they've been caught out on emission cheating.

Drivers of other makes of vehicle may be smugly looking down at VW Customers at the moment but be warned - cometh the hour cometh the revelations from other Manufacturers – and it may be your vehicle.

Do you believe they are the only Company cheating?

I do not, and never have, owned a VW.

Archived