Highway Code , has it changed ??

woody.

Ive noticed lots of drivers when aproaching a roundabout and intending to go straight on or even turn right , stay in the left lane and either pass you on the inside or sometime run alongside you nearly causing a pile up , I was always told to aproach the roundabout in the left lane when turning left and right lane when going straight on or turning right . Have the rules changed now , or am I wrong ?? (?)

woody. - 2015-10-09 10:14 PM

I was always told to aproach the roundabout in the left lane when turning left and right lane when going straight on or turning right . Have the rules changed now , or am I wrong ?? (?)

I was taught that unless signage and/or road marking indicate differently, if going "straight on" you approach a roundabout in the left hand lane..

(That is, unless there are cars in front of you indicating left, in which case you'd approach in the R/H lane, and move back to the left/outside when those cars have taken their exit).

The R/H approach lane was usually for any exit past 12 o'clock...

Of cause it does all fall down when the signage/road markings are poor, misleading, obscured or, as can be the case nowadays, when the island is just overly complicated because it's dealing with just too many roads/lanes..

Folk not indicating doesn't help much either...*-)

(* I sometimes wonder whether they actually bother teaching new divers to indicate when exiting a roundabout anymore?..because fewer drivers seem to be doing it! )

I've found that they differ according to where one lives. Locals seem to decide upon a preference at a particular roundabout and others follow.

With a slower vehicle its often preferred to stay in the left circuit but always indicate. This saves a lot of lane changing.

That is unless there are road markings that indicate ahead or around.

I doubt anyone is wrong, just different (to quote Tracker)

Will

thanks for your answers , theres one or two roundabouts i use where i i need to turn right , but i nearly always get someone from the left lane coming all the way round along side of me , o well guess ill have to just keep my fingers crossed and my eyes open.

Personally I think that the highway code is now a work of fiction?

I mean......

When I learned to drive.....

You should not park within 30 feet of a junction

You should not park on the wrong side of the road

You should not reverse onto a major road

You should give way to a vehicle going up a hill

You should use indicators, trafficators or hand signals to indicate your intentions

You should be courteous to other road users

The only one from above now applied regularly is the use of hand signals?????

Archived