Books for the winter or Christmas

tezza

There's a man who goes round Ireland in a pony caravan but can't remember the title. There's a lady who travels the World on her cycle - she's Irish but again, can't remember the titles - Devla I think her first name is. Have a look round Waterstones at the 'real life' stories - you might find some of interest there which you can then search in the Charity shops or on Book Crossing.

The Irish Lady's name is Dervla Murphy. Her latest book, Silverland, A Winter Journey Beyond the Urals, was reviewed in last Saturday's Telegraph. It clearly deals with a part of the world that most Motorcaravanners will never see but it seems a fascinating tale. One can always travel from the comfort of an armchair. A book I have just read and can thoroughly recommend is "Narrow Dog to Carcassonne" by Terry Darlington. Now this is a book that we can relate to. It concerns a retired couple with a canal narrow boat and a whippet named Jim who travel through the UK canal system, cross the Channel and journey through the Belgium and French waterways to Carcassonne. After all, a canal narrow boat is very similar so far as accommodation is concerned to a motorhome and for those of us who know France at all well it is most evocative. Most enjoyable and readable. John S

Currently on the go...The Longest Crawl by Ian Marchant Pub crawl from The Isles of Scilly to The Shetlands. Not in a motorhome but easily immitated. Just finished...A Perfect Circle by Susie Kelly Cycling around the perimeter of France. Easily adapted. Can recommend Slim dog to Carcassonne. www.magbaztravels.com is a constant source of interest to many motor home owners. Nick

I saw the film of narrow dog ........ poor Jim was not a happy whippet :'( can dogs turn green, he very nearly did! There was a programme on Anglia 'waterways' and each week the trip was shown - the mere thought of a narrow boat on the Channel was enough to convince me that they were verging on the ??? Dervla Murphy - thanks, knew some one would come up with her name! I couldn't get into Mark Wallington's book *-) - I do have lots of FREE motorhome magazines though if you want to stick to the subject (lol)

Archived