Dualit kettle overboils and shakes would YOU return it?

Pampam

Eyup have just bought a new electric kettle £129 .99 its supposedly a silent kettle , however it 'overboils' and shakes till its unsteady , the base plate itself does not stand solid so thats the problem , i was going to modify it but then thought well ive paid a pretty penny for it so perhaps i should return it . The question is should i be able to it does the job but doesnt seem safe who would return and who wouldnt (bought from lakeland ) cheers pp:)

Guest pelmetman

Dualit is a style icon........Your not supposed to use it 8-) ............

Although our Tesco kettle does that if we over fill it :-| .................but for £5.99 it does the job ;-) .........

Take or send it back along with a polite explanation why and Lakeland will probably refund you as the kettle is clearly unsatisfactory when compared to the way otherc kettles perform.

Then go buy a cheapie from Argos Asda or Tesco.

Other retailers are available!

derek pringle - 2015-10-12 9:30 AM

hi,

I think anybody who pays £130 for a kettle wants their head boiling and shaking-not the kettle.

Honestly Pam, only joking, I would agree you should return it at that price.

good luck

derek

Almost as daft as paying £50k for a motorhome innit!!

Tracker - 2015-10-12 9:34 AM

derek pringle - 2015-10-12 9:30 AM

hi,

I think anybody who pays £130 for a kettle wants their head boiling and shaking-not the kettle.

Honestly Pam, only joking, I would agree you should return it at that price.

good luck

derek

Almost as daft as paying £50k for a motorhome innit!!

absolutely Tracker,

would point out though that whilst most new motorhomes may cost circa £50k, not many kettles come in at £130.

cheers

derek

Tracker - 2015-10-12 9:27 AM

Take or send it back along with a polite explanation why and Lakeland will probably refund you as the kettle is clearly unsatisfactory when compared to the way otherc kettles perform.

Then go buy a cheapie from Argos Asda or Tesco.

Other retailers are available!

I'm with you there Tracker. Our low wattage kettle packed up when we were on holiday. The only place we could find within easy reach to buy a replacement was a Tesco. Bought the lowest wattage one we could find (2KW in stainless steel). Dead cheap and as someone who used to run the production lines in the old Hotpoint factory in Birmingham one of which made kettles many years ago I was most impressed with the quality.

Only problem is the need to turn off other devices when using it and remembering to turn them back on afterwards. With this in mind when I got home I stripped the base of the failed kettle to see if I could repair it. No wonder it failed it a rubbish design and badly made. I'm on the look out now for a better quality low wattage kettle with a reasonable capacity. No luck so,far.

Eyup just to let you know i took the kettle back and was given a refund straight away , i inspected the display one on shelf and that was not very stable either , if i hadnt paid such a lot for it i wouldnt have taken it back but it was advertised as the quietest kettle , but was very shaky , i wouldnt have been happy with it altho it looked lovely (lakeland are pretty good at customer service ive found) got my remoska from there ( great piece of kit) and gtech airram hoover (brillo) back to using old whistling camping kettle on gas hob lolcheers pp yes i must admit if i like something i will buy it no matter what it costs , i think its after many years of being hard up fetching up 4kids , i could really streeeatch the money out , in the old days now i dont have too cheers pp:)

• 4 weeks later...
Pampam - 2015-10-12 6:46 AM

Eyup have just bought a new electric kettle £129 .99 its supposedly a silent kettle , however it 'overboils' and shakes till its unsteady , the base plate itself does not stand solid so thats the problem , i was going to modify it but then thought well ive paid a pretty penny for it so perhaps i should return it . The question is should i be able to it does the job but doesnt seem safe who would return and who wouldnt (bought from lakeland ) cheers pp:)

Pampam,

Just because you have a few extra penny's is no excuse for over spending. Most items of equipment have a basic function, but are elaborated in order to add additional features for their sales advertising and that's about all.

Buying a cheaper object can mean that you can buy the latest cheaper model 3-4-5 + times over for the cost of an expensive one.. You mention a *** Hoover, all that's required is a motor and a propeller in a box. My daughter bought a fancy washing machine. All it needs to do is fill, rotate, and empty itself. I bought one that does roughly the same operations at a price where I can by 4 of the latest designed washing machines of the same make to her elaborate one.

Will

Hi All, Is this post a wind-up. If not, I fear the sanity of the OP. Women, for years now, have been trying to tell men that they are equal in every way, if not superior. Anybody who would spend so much on a means to boil water needs to have their bumps felt. Of course the store gave her a full refund. They work on the same principal as bogus charities selling the names of guillable people to each other. Once you've identified an idiot you don't let them go because you know they will fall for something else. You only have to look at womens shoe designers. They've been conning women for years. I rest my case. Ian

No its not a wind up from Pampam. She has been around for quite a while, but it does seem that her thoughts have become rather loosened since her freedom from family ties. Which of course is the aim of many manufacturers to confuse the female by adding decoration and upping the cost.

Will

Guest pelmetman
Archiesgrandad - 2015-11-10 7:16 PM

We don't use a kettle in the house any more, we bought one of those boiling water taps, brilliant.

AGD

Cor.......I bet that makes 130 quid for a kettle seem cheap :D ..........

Archiesgrandad - 2015-11-10 7:16 PM

We don't use a kettle in the house any more, we bought one of those boiling water taps, brilliant.

AGD

That sounds like the most unnecessary gadget ever invented. No doubt it filters out all the bugs which are so important to take on board. OK it sounds good but I'll bet the repairs are high.

It certainly was not cheap, but CG loves it, and it makes a lovely cuppa, instantly. After 6 months we have had no problems with it so far.

The cost is justified, in my opinion, by the fun we had watching our artisan plumber, A Portuguese national, speaks no English and very little French, our Kitchen fitter, speaks local French and no English, and the project manager, English speaks very little French and no Portuguese and has no understanding of anything,, trying to agree on what the installation instructions, in English, meant. It was hilarious, the 2 artisans had no concept of making a cup of tea, the project manager did not believe that it could make instant boiling water, but only 2 of them suffered rather nasty burns. If you have ever had to deal with French Artisans you will understand how sweet it is when payback time comes round. I did warn them, but they think I'm a senile old fool and would take no advice from me. Why should they, I'm a retired electrical engineer, who has done vast amounts of diy, built 2 sailing boats, numerous rally cars and racing motorbikes, what would I know.

AGD

Will H - 2015-11-09 11:55 AM

Pampam - 2015-10-12 6:46 AM

Pampam,

Just because you have a few extra penny's is no excuse for over spending. Most items of equipment have a basic function, but are elaborated in order to add additional features for their sales advertising and that's about all.

Buying a cheaper object can mean that you can buy the latest cheaper model 3-4-5 + times over for the cost of an expensive one.. You mention a *** Hoover, all that's required is a motor and a propeller in a box. My daughter bought a fancy washing machine. All it needs to do is fill, rotate, and empty itself. I bought one that does roughly the same operations at a price where I can by 4 of the latest designed washing machines of the same make to her elaborate one.

Will

Some times you do get what you pay for. All our white goods Miele. We have the base models with as few bells and whistles as possible. Not cheap but built to last and they do. Stove enamel finish rather than painted and massive bearings etc.. We buy British can but in case German quality is obvious.

The big attraction for me was the fact it advertised as the quietest kettle "in the world" and one of our bedrooms is next to the kitchen , and i am a VERY early riser and i like my early morning cuppa , but its been returned and im back to using an old camping kettle , which i might add is a bleddy terrible pourer an splutters hot water everywhere but in't cup! But cost £3.50 about 25 years ago, so am still on lookout for perfect kettle but am going to stick with gas . Am more concerned at the moment should i buy , prada , jimmy choo , or manola blahnik for xmas party ? What do you think clifford? Lol :) ive got a miele washer its fab ive had it ages i was given it by my much wealthier sister i would recomend the make to anyone :

Agd ive seen those taps advertised are they as good as they say? Pp:)

Pampam, I can only say that so far, ours is, and it was a cheap version bought from Costco about a year ago. CG says it makes tea as good as anything else, although she was sceptical to start with. Heaven only knows what we will do if it does go wrong, we don't have a kettle at the moment, and then there's the problem of what to do about the hole left in an expensive oak work top if we have to remove it. You've got me all worried now, I wish I hadn't bought it.

AGD

Pampam, I can only say that so far, ours is, and it was a cheap version bought from Costco about a year ago. CG says it makes tea as good as anything else, although she was sceptical to start with. Heaven only knows what we will do if it does go wrong, we don't have a kettle at the moment, and then there's the problem of what to do about the hole left in an expensive oak work top if we have to remove it. You've got me all worried now, I wish I hadn't bought it.

AGD

QUOTE]

Some times you do get what you pay for. All our white goods Miele. We have the base models with as few bells and whistles as possible. Not cheap but built to last and they do. Stove enamel finish rather than painted and massive bearings etc.. We buy British can but in case German quality is obvious.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very true. I just see no reason to pay more than the job is worth, and by worth I mean what its purpose is.

What is quality? It doesn't make an object work any better. Over engineered is the standard term.

Our new Hotpoint washing machine cost £239 in April this year and the old one of the same make lasted 9 years (I wrote on the side) My daughters washing machine was 4 times dearer. Will it last 36 years ? I do hope so as I paid for it !

Archived