Joining the caravan club

Megan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman

It's a time of year thing ;-) ...............

There are a few all year sites in the UK, but in general winter is the closed season for the majority of campsites, which is why many of us would like to see a UK aires system in place :-| ................

Megan, I would also consider the Camping and Caravan Club. Their sites are not always quite as plush as the CC but I my opinion less regimented. When we had a caravan we belonged to both but I disliked being told by the Wardens of the CC "I want your tow hook with in 6 inches of this post", but obviously it's personal and both clubs do an excellent job.

I would advise every motorhomer to boycott the CC.

They got actively involved in the move to ban overnight parking in Scarborough, Whitby and surrounding areas.

Join the Camping and Caravan Club instead. They probably feel the same as the CC but have not yet become activists. 8-)

Mackylacky - 2015-10-16 7:22 PM

Megan, I would also consider the Camping and Caravan Club. Their sites are not always quite as plush as the CC but I my opinion less regimented. When we had a caravan we belonged to both but I disliked being told by the Wardens of the CC "I want your tow hook with in 6 inches of this post", but obviously it's personal and both clubs do an excellent job.

I agree we are members of both, c&cc is more relaxed and they are opening more sites over winter. Keswick is great, with a bit of luck you may get snowed in. :-S :-D

see photo Keswick in March jyst got home over A66 it was closed most of the week.

2028658353_Keswicksite(1).jpg.c5ede2e1c7a718e670250b58e4832bbe.jpg

I'm from the opposite camp, I joined the Caravan Club, and dropped my membership of the C&CC, after a run in with a 'site manager' at Culzean Castle. Over where he wanted 'all the motorhomes to park' down a dark corridor under the trees.

I much prefer the CC's 'choose your own pitch' attitude. don't find them 'stuck up' or officious at all. Been a member for 15 years now. Not cheap, but a good standard of sites.

Both clubs have 'all year' sites that are open around the Country. And have stayed at a few of them over Christmas and New Year. Ray.

There are pros and cons for both. I was a member of both but fell out with the c&cc over a lost deposit. By a few days they kept my £36 quid for a booking. I left them and remained with the CC. However the CC have become rather upper class. That is a generalisation but it is my experience of certain sites where the wardens act as god instructing you to do this, do that etc. I have a motorhome and was expected to park where my habitation door went out onto the grass. I had a full awning space on the hard standing plus enough room for a car but no 'you have to park this way' I thought the club was there to serve the members not the members there to serve the wardens. I have not stayed on a CC site since. I have however, re-joined the C&CC club for the holiday sites and rallies. I have to say they are fantastic. It is possible to stay away for the whole summer by moving from one to the other. This more suits our needs. Listen to what people say on here, do some research then make your own mind up. We are all different and have different expectations-I think you get a flavour of mine but you have to look at what you require. Certified sites by whatever name may be the ideal thing for you so look at where they are, I think you can do that on line. You may end up joining both.

Best of luck

Art

Hi thanks for the replies. All a bit alarming. I have just bought a motorhome so new to this and presumed we could travel about at any time of the year and find a camp site.

Is it illegal to park up anywhere overnight? Will we find we are very restricted as to where we can pitch?

Rayjsj - 2015-10-16 8:48 PM

I'm from the opposite camp, I joined the Caravan Club, and dropped my membership of the C&CC, after a run in with a 'site manager' at Culzean Castle. Over where he wanted 'all the motorhomes to park' down a dark corridor under the trees.

I much prefer the CC's 'choose your own pitch' attitude. don't find them 'stuck up' or officious at all. Been a member for 15 years now. Not cheap, but a good standard of sites.

Both clubs have 'all year' sites that are open around the Country. And have stayed at a few of them over Christmas and New Year. Ray.

Have stayed at Culzean Castle and in the avenue which was not a dark corridor . If I remember correctly the corridor was the line of the previous track of the railway line and therefor excellent hard standing for the weight of a Motorhome..

Not been a member of CC so will make no comment. Member of CCC and have yet to find an officious warden and find that it always takes two to tangle, some more than others.

I am no longer a member of either but when I was I too preferred the CCC for it's more laid back approach and infinitely more flexible way of running their very numerous and diverse weekend jollies and temporary holiday sites.

That said many motorhomers are members of the CC and enjoy their membershup. CC sites tend to be in different locations to CCC ones and CC CLs are , or were, much thicker on the ground than CCC CSs.

So don't discount either club on the opinions of others, try them both for yourself and then decide.

I never thought I would ever find myself defending the CC!!

If you're brand new to it all, I would join both for a year, and make sure you use several sites run by both. I think it's less than £50 for a year's membership of each club, and you get access to lots of information, free magazines etc.

Try also to use both club's Certificated Sites networks - they are small members only sites where you mainly have to rely on your inboard facilities, except many have mains hook-ups these days. I think there are loads more of them open all year round.

Good luck and enjoy.

Megan, I'm not going to get into a debate about joining the Caravan Club. I've been a contented member for over 25 years. I'm long past giving a toss if people don't like the CC. Each to their own and be happy motorhoming.

The CC has 36 Club sites and 18 Affiliated sites that stay open all year round. Plus an additional 20 sites have extended their opening until early January 2016. These are listed on the website and can also be found in the member's book which always give details of the other sites near to the one being viewed. I don't know if you can access this:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/club-sites/open-all-year-sites

There are of course CLs [5 van sites] that also stay open all year round.

Go with what feels right to you. You can use some CC sites without being a member. That will give you the chance to check them out.

Guest pelmetman
Megan - 2015-10-16 9:44 PM

Hi thanks for the replies. All a bit alarming. I have just bought a motorhome so new to this and presumed we could travel about at any time of the year and find a camp site.

Is it illegal to park up anywhere overnight? Will we find we are very restricted as to where we can pitch?

Oh dear you have got a lot to learn :D ...............

In England and Wales having a motorhome puts you at the same social class as Gypsies, when it comes to councils.........expect lots of height barriers and cant camp here signs *-) .........

Scotland does allow wildcamping, but unfortunately the weather is cr*p most of the time :'( .........

So most of us old hands cross the ditch in preference to staying in the UK B-) ........

Guest pelmetman
sshortcircuit - 2015-10-17 8:23 AM

pelmetman - 2015-10-17 8:

Scotland does allow wildcamping, but unfortunately the weather is cr*p most of the time :'( .........

Well this statement about the weather is a load of CR*P. Just think here all the major natural disasters are with flooding etc ??

Oban August 2014 we had a pond in our awning 8-) ..............and that was on a hard standing *-) .............

Dordogne September 2014 we sat under our awning to avoid the sun 30+ degrees........Guess which we preferred? ;-) .............

Guest pelmetman
Megan - 2015-10-17 8:24 AM

If you are not a member of either club where can you pitch?

Also can you turn up to a site and just pay if you are not a member?

Some CC sites allow non members, but in general touring around the UK and expecting to find a pitch is a bit optimistic, especially in the season, I'd expect you'd struggle to find a pitch at the weekends if you haven't booked weeks/months in advance :-S ............

The only place you'll find where that kinda touring is possible is across the ditch ;-) ............

Oh dear. So is it illegal just to pull up somewhere eg in Cornwall. We were planning to use the motorhome to visit national trust properies. I realised we couldn't stay in the grounds but can you stop on a layby or similar?

Megan - 2015-10-17 9:01 AM

Oh dear. So is it illegal just to pull up somewhere eg in Cornwall. We were planning to use the motorhome to visit national trust properies. I realised we couldn't stay in the grounds but can you stop on a layby or similar?

I know that in some National Trust properties, you can stay in their car park overnight. An example is Inverewe Gardens in Wester Ross. So it's worth asking.

pelmetman - 2015-10-17 8:50 AM

Well this statement about the weather is a load of CR*P. Just think here all the major natural disasters are with flooding etc ??

Oban August 2014 we had a pond in our awning 8-) ..............and that was on a hard standing *-) .............

Dordogne September 2014 we sat under our awning to avoid the sun 30+ degrees........Guess which we preferred? ;-) .............

Very unfortunate and unlucky as the same can happen anywhere in the UK, however to generalise that the weather in Scotland is Cr*p is just utter nonsense. A friend who traveled down to Spain passed through France non stop as it was constant rain so it's your luck.

Come off it Dave.

That must be one of the silliest " arguments " you've ever posted !

:-D

Guest pelmetman
sshortcircuit - 2015-10-17 9:18 AM

Very unfortunate and unlucky as the same can happen anywhere in the UK, however to generalise that the weather in Scotland is Cr*p is just utter nonsense. A friend who traveled down to Spain passed through France non stop as it was constant rain so it's your luck.

Nothing to do with luck ............Its more to do with averages.........from Wiki ;-)...........

"Rainfall totals vary widely across Scotland— the western highlands of Scotland is one of the wettest places in Europe with annual rainfall up to 4,577 mm (180.2 in)."

Booking a break in Scotland is like telling the NHS your holiday dates............You know its all going to go wrong *-) .............

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2015-10-17 9:40 AM

Come off it Dave.

That must be one of the silliest " arguments " you've ever posted !

:-D

I dare say some people enjoy all three seasons in a day..............some people enjoy flagellation 8-) .....

Personally I prefer months between my seasons........not hours ;-) ..............

Archived