Towing weights

candapack

On a new van I have just signed up for (Autotrail Apache 632), I was going through the specification in some detail. The maximum towing weight has me confused. (PS< I won't be towing anyway, but am interested).

It's based on a Fiat Ducato 130HP MJet, with a maximum gross weight of 3500kg (upgradeable to 3650 which I've done, but which doesn't affect any other figures) Autotrail put the maximum towing weight at 1,250 kg.

Other vans I had been looking at based on exactly the same Fiat and also 3500kg MGW are different. Eg, Burstner, say their max towing weight is 2000kg.

I expect I'm missing something, but what?

...There are a large number of variables at play.

A particular model delivered as standard at 3500kg may be built on the standard or camper fiat chassis, or possibly an Al-Ko chassis, all at either the light or heavy specification.

Each of these may have a different potential Gross Train Weight, defining the maximum towable weight.

In addition, coachbuilts are likely to have a rear chassis extension added, to which any towbar will be fitted (or alternatively, the towbar will have to have geometry that avoids the extension and connects to the base chassis).

The construction and robustness of this latter will have an effect that may vary the GTW, and I suspect this is what is "restricting" the capacity on your Auto-Trail.

Coachbuilt motorhomes based on the current X290 Ducato ‘light’ camping-car chassis seem to leave the Italian SEVEL factory with 3650kg as the maximum overall weight shown on the Fiat data-plate. The general policy is then for the converter to ‘downplate’ the completed motorhome to 3500kg (presumably for driving-licence-related reasons) with the original 3650kg weight offered to buyers as a no-cost option.

Archived