How to remove bulbs from a Heki sky light?

Two-Six

Hi All.,

This should have been my first post but it didn't work the firstt time I posted it. Our family Autocruise Valentine (Circa 2002) has a Heki/Dometic opening sky light.

Firstly I want to be able to get into where the halogen bulbs are to replace them with LED's and secondly this roof light is in poor condition in that the plastic slides/guides for the blinds and bug screen are all cracked. The UV has made the plastic go brittle. Also the rubber seal against the Perpex dome//window is all perished.

The actual plastic dome is OK as is the general frame.

How do I get at the bulbs? I would think the diffuser/lenses over the bulbs should clip off somehow but I can see how it works right now.

What are my options for repairing the skylight, can I just get lower plastic bits for it?

How about the rubber seal? Can that be replaced?

As the question has not been answered I will volunteer as follows. As you surmise the diffusers just clip in.

My favourite tool for this sort of removal job is a decorators wallpaper stripper. Applied carefully the wide blade minimises any risk of damage to the diffuser, as compared with prying with a screwdriver

You mention halogen bulbs, but the original bulbs in our vehicle were 4 x 5W festoon type. I think that they were basic vacuum bulbs. Multi LED substitutes are available, but be aware that festoon bulbs come in at least two different overall lengths, which from memory are 36mm and 43mm.

Archived