Renewing driving licence at 70

dav7

I am currently trying to renew my driving licence on line in advance of my seventieth birthday in January 16.Has anyone else tried to do this recently as I have come across a couple of things that appear to be misleading.

My existing licence has two dates on it. No 3 my date of birth i.e. 07/01/46, and I have received a form from the DVLA confirming that my licence ends at midnight on 06/01/16, which is what I expected.

No. 4a has a date of 24/02/07 which is when I changed to the plastic card licence on moving house. which is presumably valid for ten years.

On my on line application, it tells me my licence is valid until 24/02/17, which is obviously more than a year after my 70th birthday. I continued with the application and when I quote my valid passport details, it also mentions that my licence will be valid for ten years. Everywhere else I have checked it mentions that a licence should be renewed every three years, at 70 years of age.

Trying to contact DVLA to find answers to these questions does not appear to be easy, so if anyone else has applied, I would be grateful for their assistance.

Baffled! :'(

I've just had a look at the DVLA licence renwewal web page for people who are 70 ( or soon will be ) and it quite clearly states that " Once you reach 70 you must renew your licence every 3 years "

Looks as if you may be looking at the " under 70's " page ?

;-)

Your new licence should start from your 70th birthday, thereafter it has to be renewed every 3 years, (they send a reminder) If the renewal is delayed, you can still drive, unless it has been refused . My last renewal was delayed for a week , so I have get to renew next time from the later date. (So got an extra week , Hooray!) It is always a good idea to copy your old licence before you send it away. I am not sure if you have to get a new photo, for the first renewal.

I did not know you could renew on line. Maybe it is anew thing? I guess I shall be getting my next reminder shortly,

PJay

Billggski - 2015-10-19 11:02 AM

My new licence runs from March, when I sent the application off, although my birthday is in May.

Interesting!

My birthday is January, and my first over 70 licence did start from my birth date, as did subsequent one. THe last one was delayed until 5th Feb, so the next is due from Feb 5th.

I would think that your first one over 70, should start on , as your original birthday? Surely that licence runs out at 70? BUT who knows how the DVLA works ??

PJay

Hi your licence should run for 3years from your 70th birthday. I applied for mine online as soon as I got the form from dvla, that was about 10 weeks before my birthday. Mine runs for 3yrs from my actual birthday.

Your confusion with regards to the 2dates on your licence are :- one date refers to your licence expiry date I.e. Your 70th birthday. The later date should be 10 years from when you got your photo licence and is the validity of the photograph.

So be carefull when you get your new licence that your photo does not become out of date. I had a new passport so the dvla took my photo from my passport and used it for my new licence.

Hope this clarifies the matter somewhat

Regards Mike

It runs from the day it's processed by the DVLA.. There was a small problem with mine and it didn't come back until a month after my 70th. My birthday is in August and it came back in September and runs from the September date of process. As long has the DVLA have the old licence then you are ok to drive, that is if they have not lost it 8-). If you haven't got it back within three weeks or a couple of days before your birthday, then ring them and speak to someone.

To speak to a human and not a machine then ring this No. 01792 782764 ;-)

Dave

I agree with those who say the renewed licence commences the date it is processed, not your birthday.

I lost out 3 months of licence by applying early as I had heard there were long delays.

There weren't long delays- mine was returned with a couple of weeks and despite a couple of emails in which I protested that I'd lost out- to no avail.

Sophie2 - 2015-10-21 10:24 AM

I agree with those who say the renewed licence commences the date it is processed, not your birthday.

Could it be it depends if it was processed before or after your birthday? I have renewed mine twice now and each time it has been valid until my next birthday.

FYI you can only renew on line if you do not want to retain your C1 or C1+E otherwise you must do it via the post.

I have found the best way to contact the DVLA about an application is to email them.

peedee

Billggski - 2015-10-21 11:56 AM

It is daft, if the same thing happens in three years time I could have lost six months licence in total.

I assume if you send it in just before your birthday you are still covered until they get around to issuing it, so I could gain a bit back?

You assume correct Bill. If you want to get a bit more time back then just make a small mistake on the application (no signature ;-) ) then they will send it back for correction. That also proves they have received it. If the licence then runs out after your birthday they have the record and you are ok to drive until you get your licence back.

I was going to Ireland for my holiday and hadn't received mine back so I phoned them and asked if I was still ok to drive and they said yes because they had received the application.

Just a little rethink, when the licence is due again in three years time it may automatically flag the renewal up on your birth date, will have to wait and see, unless i'm with the angels :-(

Dave

Archived