Peugeot Electrics Say Engine Running When It's Not

Edprogs

My Autocruise Jazz, which is on a Peugeot Boxer X250 van conversion, suffered during a powerful thunderstorm which damaged the habitation electrics. Sargent were very helpful and efficient, quickly repairing the unit, but it looks as if the Peugeot electronics may have been affected too since it is sending an "engine running" signal to the habitation electrics even with the ignition switched off. This means the control panel is inoperative unless I disconnect the relevant plug from the Sargent unit. I've taken the van to a main Peugeot garage but, surprise surprise, they can't find any fault. To be fair they are not likely to come across this particular problem in their everyday servicing of Peugeot commercial vehicles. Any suggestions as to my next move?

I would assume the relevant plug is the connection to the Alternator D3 output. This basically is what supplies the signal to the ignition light on dashboard and anything else which needs to know the engine is running. I suspect the fault is still within the Sargent system so I would speak to them again.

Thanks for that suggestion Brambles. Apparently the signal is derived via the canbus. I'll give Sargents another call but last time they were adamant that it was a vehicle fault whilst the Peugeot electrician said it was a van electrics fault. Luckily I can use the van with the feed disconnected, the only thing I lose is leisure battery charging whilst on the road and having to remember to put the step in before I set off!

Thanks Harvey. There is a relay inside the Sargent unit which appears to be operating properly. However there may be another hidden on the Peugeot side........ The real difficulty is finding an auto electrician who knows more than his computer readout is telling him.

Sargents should be able to tell you what voltages are at which terminal on the plug that joins the engine wiring to their box, and they might even have a test sequance for checking it out? From that you might be able to ascertain whether the engine is sending the wrong signals or the control box is mis-reading the right signals?

Edprogs - 2015-10-19 9:26 AM

Thanks for that suggestion Brambles. Apparently the signal is derived via the canbus. I'll give Sargents another call but last time they were adamant that it was a vehicle fault whilst the Peugeot electrician said it was a van electrics fault. Luckily I can use the van with the feed disconnected, the only thing I lose is leisure battery charging whilst on the road and having to remember to put the step in before I set off!

The engine running though is still taken from the D+ though via the interface connector as far as I am aware.

This link may help you understand a bit more --

http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/EM50_Tech_Data.pdf

or maybe not. If you can identify the appropriate pin in the connector then you could look at it (auto electrician!) with a volt meter and see what happens with engine stopped and running. It should be zero volts with ignition off, 12 volts ignition on, and zero volts again with engine running. This will work in conjunction with the ignition signal from cab so it needs testing as well. Maybe a fuse has blown witch supplies these two lines from the cab.

So from Sargent you need the connector signal data/pin numbers confirmed. Then armed with this and visit to a good autoelectrician he should be able to check all those signals are working and any fuses are intact.... or you could probably check all the X250 fuses yourself.

Just trying to provide some food for thought and hopefully not way of the mark.

Edit .. forgot the link. http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/EM50_Tech_Data.pdf

Some Alternators are now ECU controlled, no D+ output at all.

From memory of the last Sargent we did I would expect you to lose the Fridge as well as charging/step?

Is this an EC500 as I thought this didn't pick up the 'Alternator spinning' signal from the Canbus?

I thought there was a separate feed on the vehicle wiring that went in on the Signal Input connector not the Canbus Data connector?

This is exactly the type of issue we are good at as we understand both base vehicle electrics and the habitation side. See the Customer feedback page.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions. I will talk to Sargents again tomorrow when I'm back at home and discuss your various thoughts. My unit is an EC400, and it was someone at Swift who told me it used the Canbus. My fridge still works because it's a compressor type so doesn't rely on the alternator for 12v power.

Archived