Viewing a Motorhome

Dibsy

We have been looking for our first motorhome for a few months. We have decided on the layout (after borrowing one from a friend); bunk beds, half dinette, swivel seat and a side bench with overcab bed and budget (absolute max of £20000).

Anyhow we have now found one locally which we are going to view later this week. It is for sale privately. It is a Pilote Atlantis A5 (2003).

So being an absolute beginner with minimal mechanical knowledge what should I look for?

I obviously need to make sure everything is working/see it in action. I have so much running around my head it is difficult to come up with some sensible sort of list...

Also does anyone know if this motorhome is suitable for winter use?

Thanks in advance

Dibsy

As a basic rule of thumb make sure everything, and I mean everything works as it should and the includes fridge, cooker, water heater, heating, windows, seat swivels etc, etc, etc.  It's your money so don't be afraid to have a real good check of everything functioning.

However before doing any of that ask about base vehicle servicing records (self explanatory), habitation service records and damp check reports.  Habitation checks show the MH has been given a 'living' side 'health check' and the most important is the damp check report which will highlight if there are damp issues....and if there are I would walk away because damp can seriously 'damage your wealth'.

However if there is no damp check report and you are seriously wanting the MH ask the seller if they would object to you having it checked which if agreed to will give weight to the buy or run away decision.

One last thing...on a vehicle that age take a look at the age of the tyres (google for tyre age identifying information)...it may be they are relatively new.  However if older than 5 yrs or so it gives a point of haggling should you want to buy.  This is because it will soon be needing new tyres as the 'recommended' life for tyres on a MH is around  5-7 years depending on what/where you research.

Good luck. 

Thanks for your reply. And the information about the tyres - looking about them was on my list but I didn't know you could tell how old they are!

Could I check for damp myself or would it be better to get someone else (who?) to do it?

Dibsy

It is possible to carry out damp checks yourself as long as you:

a.  Have a good quality damp meter
b. know how and where to use it to cover the most likely affected areas.

In essence as you admit to being (in effect) real time novices as far as MH's are concerned I would (if not already available from the vendor) arrange to get it done by an 'expert'.  If there are MH dealers in your area you could ask them or as with all things google is your friend.

At the risk of overstating the importance of this check, failure to ascertain if there is damp or not has the potential to, should you buy and then find damp needing repair, cost you thousands or even make the MH unuseable due to failure of structural integrity (internal frames are of wood construction and rotten wood is....well need I add more?).....and that is no exaggeration

Careful with the damp meter, the ones with two prongs are really for wood or plaster and will leave a mark if you push them in. OK for corners and around windows.

Check your payload, actual weight taken away from the weight on a metal plate under the bonnet, many leave little over to carry all your goodies. A weighbridge should charge about £7 for both axles and the total if the owner hasn't done it.

See what accessories they are leaving, I assume gas bottles, but you may want levelling ramps, insulating screens for the windscreen, etc..

Mileage is really irrelevant as too little use is worse than high mileage.

There is a "buying a motorhome" section on this site, and don't fall for the usual scams over transferring money.

Hi Dibsy - personally if I were looking to buy a used motorhome, I wouldn't even consider carrying out a Damp Check myself. If the seller is serious & confident he would provide the test from an independent party. Doing it yourself & would eliminate all responsibility from the seller, if you then find you got it wrong. Similarly the same applies for the weighbridge ticket.

PJay's advise to take your friend would not only save you time checking the motorhome, but will also give you an understanding of how the equipment works.

Hi, as well as the checks already mentioned, I would recommend a thorough underside checkover, looking at such things as mountings for water and waste tanks, are they showing signs of rust, and is there a spare wheel, and what condition is it in..are the spare wheel carrier fittings rusted up and can wheel be accessed without using a jack,..is a jack present..

what is condition of habitation battery, test by checking voltage at start of visit, then turn on internal lights for a minimum of 1 hour, and remeasure voltage of battery on load..I would expect battery voltage readings to be same both times, and 12 volts or above.

check the drain valve on waste tank..is it easy to turn on and off. Put some water down waste .and see if it flows out freely, likewise with shower and bathroom fittings. Similarly, check the condition of toilet and ease of emptying.

hope this might be useful.

tonyg3nwl.

Archived