here ‘n there (mapping)

rogher

I’ve become rather disenchanted with the data obtained from here maps on my SatNav.

Does anyone know what mapping source is used by the likes of Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion, Alpine, or even TomTom units? I’d rather steer clear of ‘here’ in future.

I believe that there are only a couple of map producers for ALL sat navs and none of them have done an ACCURATE survey, as say Google Earth have done with their roving cameras. So all of the 'enter your vehicle dimensions' guff does, is send you down major routes around 'listed' restrictions. However if your final destination is off of a major road ? Then watch out, because all Sat-navs are liable to send you down lanes that are unsuitable for your vehicle. Until a PROPER survey of our roads is carried out, they are not worth the large sums they are asking for them. IMHO.

...there are only three main sources of mapping data for navigation devices:

Here: Which was Navteq, was bought by Nokia and rebranded Here, and is now sold/being sold to a consortium of Audi/BMW/Daimler (both for their own use, and for continued third-party supply).

Teleatlas: Which has been owned by TomTom for a good few years.

Google: owned, of course, by Google (and largely limited to non-dedicated Nav devices).

Dedicated navigation devices are largely going to use mapping data from one or other of the first two (though, under certain circumstances, IGO software being one, either one might be the underlying mapping provider, depending on device and location).

One's experience may, however, vary significantly from device to device, despite ostensibly using the same mapping data. The data is generally translated into a proprietary format for each device type, by the device manufacturer, and there are many variables in how and when this is done. (as an example, there is no guarantee that one device manufacturers 2015Q3 map release uses the same dated underlying data as another's 2015Q3 release - the date being relevant to the map release date by the manufacturer, not necessarily the release date of the underlying data by the mapping company).

Add into this the differences in data translation methods, and the manner of data interpretation by the differing navigation software, and things can be very different across devices.

I think I used NavTech on an expensive Pioneer system, and thought it very good. The only problem was over £200 for each map update. And there’s the rub: How are the map providers going to make a living if they get no revenue from usage? In my mind the quality of the information is bound to decline.

There is another source OPEN SOURCE MAPPING. Maos are updated by users. Dont think it is available on dedicated satnavs. We have used the data on both Windows pc and Android and found it really good (including Turkey, Armenia and Georgia)

Currently ruñing OSMAND on a Samsung Galaxy as you can download and use off line.

Archived