Stop Over on way to Scotland

Wasnt Me

Hello knowledgeable people.

We are travelling up to Aberdeen on Saturday and need an overnight stopover near to the M6.

We plan to leave early and get to the lakes possibly further?

Suggestions for a cheap and cheerful stop would be great, a dog friendly pub stop considered also.

Thanks in advanced

Been up that way a few weeks ago. I stopped overnight at this spot here just out of Moffat;

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2qvs2zb.jpg

Large lay-by just out of Moffat N55° 21'49.77" W3° 28'36.98"

Exit the A74 at junc 15 and take the A701 to Moffat which is only a couple of miles. Very nice small country town. The lay-by is no more than a 5 minute drive from the town. Very peaceful and with stunning views like that.....what more could anyone want?

Rather than go back to the A74, i continued on the A701 towards Edinburgh > Queensferry Bridge > Perth and eventually Aberdeen.

Not sure if you've driven in Aberdeen before but imo the driving is atrocious and some of the worst i've come across anywhere.

We travel to Scotland from nr Chippenham and always make our first stop at Moffatt.  There's a C&CC site there just off the A74(M).  The site is a few minutes walk into town and there's a few nice hostelries for dinner and 'lubrication'.  Depending on where(if) you decide to dine out discount is given to those staying at the site.  Details are available at the site office.  

Staying there will leave you with around 200 miles to Aberdeen, so another 4 hours approx to complete your journey.

Wasn't Me - 2015-10-21 10:28 PM

Awesome information thanks guys.

Should have said Aberdeenshire, Aboyne to be precise.

Like the sound of all of them to be honest.

I will let you know how we get on.

Overnighting at Tebay Camping is £21 plus EHU.

No idea how long you are around the east coast but i can recommend spending a couple of nights at Cruden Bay (N57° 24'43.06" W1° 50'43.46") just south of Peterhead. Park right on the harbour with a choice of view.

This; http://oi60.tinypic.com/v30jgh.jpg

or this; http://oi60.tinypic.com/20zp3it.jpg (the tide was in but does go out leaving a huge beach!)

Cost? There isn't. They simply have a little 'Honesty box' where you can put some money in if staying overnight. One shop in the village, one Hotel which does excellent meals, one Pub, and one Chinese take-away which does a cracking curry!

The parking area is purpose built for motorhomes and i stopped here for three nights whilst visiting Peterhead.

Bulletguy - 2015-10-22 12:54 AM

Cost? There isn't. They simply have a little 'Honesty box' where you can put some money in if staying overnight.

The suggested overnight fee at Port Erroll is £10. From porterroll.net:

Mobile Homes

For occasional visitors/users there is a 3 night maximum allowable stay. There is no compulsory fee but the Port Erroll Harbour Trustees would suggest a donation of £10 per night’s stay would help toward the care and maintenance of our historic harbour. Your donation with your registration number can be placed in the green box at the head of the slipway.

Steve928 - 2015-10-22 8:40 AM

Bulletguy - 2015-10-22 12:54 AM

Cost? There isn't. They simply have a little 'Honesty box' where you can put some money in if staying overnight.

The suggested overnight fee at Port Erroll is £10. From porterroll.net:

Mobile Homes

For occasional visitors/users there is a 3 night maximum allowable stay. There is no compulsory fee but the Port Erroll Harbour Trustees would suggest a donation of £10 per night’s stay would help toward the care and maintenance of our historic harbour. Your donation with your registration number can be placed in the green box at the head of the slipway.

Yes that's correct and why i wrote there isn't a charge......just an Honesty Box which i assumed most knew what they are. Also as it states, "there is no compulsory fee but the Port Erroll Harbour Trustees would suggest a donation of £10 per night’s stay would help....". The important parts in bold.

Disappointingly two large very expensive mh's which parked up overnight simply drove off the following day where another in a very old van who just stopped for an afternoon, put some money in. They knew about the 'honesty box' as i'd seen them reading the board which fronts the parking spaces, but of course it's not compulsory.

As regards Port Errol, it was a top place to overnight and motorhomers always paid their £5 (as it was then) plus 20p for using the Toilets. It was only since the place was publicisede on internet forums that the rot set in.

Which is why I have a low opinion of motorhomers in general. I am not at all surprised that owners of large new motorhomes act in a despicable manner ..... it is basically because they are despicable people.

About 5 or more years ago, they would park just before the Harbour in unsuitable places for motorhomes .... but hey, they saved £5. :-D

747 - 2015-10-22 11:36 PM

As regards Port Errol, it was a top place to overnight and motorhomers always paid their £5 (as it was then) plus 20p for using the Toilets. It was only since the place was publicisede on internet forums that the rot set in.

Which is why I have a low opinion of motorhomers in general. I am not at all surprised that owners of large new motorhomes act in a despicable manner ..... it is basically because they are despicable people.

About 5 or more years ago, they would park just before the Harbour in unsuitable places for motorhomes .... but hey, they saved £5. :-D

I wouldn't say their actions were 'despicable'.......just found it strange that they had no problem with shelling out £50+k for a large motorhome, but couldn't spare a tenner for the 'honesty box'. Maybe they were 'maxed out' on finance.

When i get facilities like that i go out of my way to use the local businesses. OK there isn't a lot of them in Cruden Bay, but i spent money in the Pub, then went to the one and only Chinese take-away (brilliant curry!) and on the way back from Peterhead i stopped of at the St Olaf Hotel which served an excellent meal.

I would go back there again.

Archived