A/S Nuevo ES - storage and chassis/floor protection

David B

We are in the process of buying an A/S Nuevo ES. I have read all the relevant useful tips here following a search on "Nuevo". We are returning to motorhoming after a lapse of 16 years - had a VW Danbury for 10 years. Now trying to get up-to date with modern developments and luxuries. We agonized, like many new forum contributors, over our choice. Must-haves were under 6m and not too wide (minor road access and parking), and four 3-point seat belts and 4 berths (grandchildren). Our only doubt over the Nuevo was the lack of external storage and somewhat limited internal storage. When on our own the over-cab berth will provide storage for bulky light gear. (?) Has anyone any tips on making the best use of the available storage and possibly adding to it? We are considering a bike rack and rear box, but would rather not increase the length, and certainly do not want a roof box. Being a cruising sailor (not sure for how much longer!) I am used to thinking weather/seawater proof. I was a bit surprised when looking under the Nuevo to see what appeared to be an exposed lightly-stained black plywood floor. The wood grain was clearly visible. I assume marine-grade, or at a minimum WBP ply is used, hopefully treated with a perservative. Often timber is best left to breath and dry out rather than be covered with an imperfect seal that traps water. (?) I would appreciate comments and advice as to the desirability (need) for additional protection, e.g. underseal or waxol.

ref the under-floor, presumably this must be a 'sandwich' type insulted one. I'm glad that someone else looks underneath though, it appears that reviews rarely do. Our present van, Rapdio 710F, is built on the old style Fiat chassis, and they used the one complete with a 'tin' (well, not really, I guess!) underside, in which they holes were cut for pipes etc, but the motorhome floor itself was not exposed to the elements. Anyone with any knowledge of what one should expect on coachbuilt now? We're possibly looking around to change, and would be interesetd to learn what we should expect to see in this area?

Some coachbuilt motorhomes are built on chassis cab bases and will have a plywood sandwich floor. The lower plywood layer is certainly waterproof glue plywood and treated with a preservative that often gives it a matt black finish. my own 'van is a sixteen year old highwayman and this is exactly what is underneath and still in good condition. Other coachbuilt motorhomes are built on platform cab bases which is similar except for having a metal floor on the top of the chassis, this means waterproofing might not be so critical as long as any holes in the steel floor are properly sealed. D.

Hi David, Had a look at the Nuevo a few years ago. I had an Autocruise Starfire at that time. I was suprised to find no chassis extension was fitted on the Nuevo, unlike the Starfire and others which supports the rear end, the kitchen, storage cabinets, bathroom etc.. was just suspended on the sandwich constructed flooring. Have a look at the Starfire and you will see what I mean. Regards Terry

Archived